Sensor lights on Sky Princess - who thought this was a good idea?

cavecreekguy

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Please do not use duct tape to cover the motion detector.  It will cause damage to the sensor, light fixture, and/or ceiling that you may be held responsible for. 

As another suggested, painters blue tape will do the job without damaging the device.

Many threads on this topic.  It is a nuisance.  Princess must have a lawsuit somewhere on the books.  Most seasoned cruisers have their own way to deal with nighttime lights.  In my opinion, Princess did not have to do this for everyone.  

If Princess didn't want people to tape over the sensors, they would have thought to provide an on/off switch to control those lights. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just off the Crown and the most annoying thing I found with the wardrobe area sensor light is that it would turn off when I was getting something out of the safe or closet. Having to move back to the entryway and then back to the closet each time to get the light to turn on again when looking for something was frustrating.

At our stewards suggestion we rolled up two hand towels (and he gave us two extra hand towels) and placed them on the floor, over the sensor lights in the bottom of the bedside stands, to stop them randomly coming on. He also said that random checks were made to make sure sensors were operational.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

54 minutes ago, topspot said:

We found a great use for our masks!  

D9D16203-9E09-48E1-BB87-F10E44AA44A1.jpeg

Only problem for me is that I can’t reach that light to remove during the day.  OHSA not happy with me climbing on a chair while the ship is rocking and rolling.  

I am currently on the Sky and the light under the bedside cabinet has disengaged itself from the cabinet and falling to the floor! It wasn't me !

The cabin steward did put some tape over the sensor but did not touch the light itself.

I was on the Iona in March and they had safety lights but were more subdued and less annoying .

I found them very reassuring in the night but on Sky they are just very bright and annoying.

20 hours ago, Outerdog said:

The one that ticks people off the most is the giant spotlight in the closet area just outside the bathroom. There is a motion sensor on the SIDE of the light. A small piece of painters tape, sticker, whatever over the sensor solves the problem. Don't use duct tape.

The others are on the floor in the nightstands. These ones aren't so bad.

I like to keep my "night eyes" when getting up and down. That spotlight is just awful. We tape it with painters tape and use a small battery candle in the bathroom which runs for days.

Thanks @Outerdog.  This was the exact info we wanted.

• Like 1

We disembarked the Sky last Saturday. This light was quite annoying to us as we live in a tiny town on the coast with basically no street lights. Yikes! DH used the card on the desk which notifies one about the plug adapter and used that to cover the sensor. Apparently our mediocre at best cabin steward did not like that so he removed it. Well, so we "reinstalled" it when we were in the cabin for the night and removed it when we left the cabin.

If needed during the night, we just use our cell phone to light the way.

Oh............ then there is that stupid light under the nightstand!!!!! Good grief!!! Well, a pillow from the loveseat next to it on the floor works well.

• Like 1

My cabin mate hated the closet light.  It turned off before she could find things.  It turned on when she didn't want it.  Steward understood and "fixed" it.  Those small pillows work well to stop the night stand lights...if you can find them.  For the life of me, I couldn't find them in the cabin after the turn down service.  I also didn't ask.  Just blue taped them.

Left the blue tape for the next passengers.  I sure hope they appreciated my efforts.  I'm wondering what percentage of passengers are for/against?  Anybody with an educated guess?

On 6/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, dockman said:

I like them but agree it would be nice to be able to turn the light at closet ON and OFF if one so chooses other than being only controlled by motion detector.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:56 AM, david63 said:

No problem with them here either - saves having to find my torch in the middle of the night.

Brilliant idea😄

X3.  I don't have a problem with the closet light.  A switch would be nice, but not really a worthy issue.  I'm surprised at how excitable folks are about this.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nini said:

We disembarked the Sky last Saturday. This light was quite annoying to us as we live in a tiny town on the coast with basically no street lights. Yikes! DH used the card on the desk which notifies one about the plug adapter and used that to cover the sensor. Apparently our mediocre at best cabin steward did not like that so he removed it. Well, so we "reinstalled" it when we were in the cabin for the night and removed it when we left the cabin.

If needed during the night, we just use our cell phone to light the way.

Oh............ then there is that stupid light under the nightstand!!!!! Good grief!!! Well, a pillow from the loveseat next to it on the floor works well.

Same re: living in a small town with limited street lights.  And using phone for lighting if needed at night.  I like things dark to sleep. 

I cruised on the Crown last November, and I stuffed a towel in the side table toe kick area to stop that light.  The closet light is a new to me thing, so I will be figuring that out in July, also on the Crown.  I am bringing painters tape to assist with achieving no randomly turning on lights. 

We were on Sky Princess last month and absolutely loved the automatic light under the night table and outside the bathroom.  We always carry a night light with us and obviously didn't need it this trip.  Looking forward to them on Enchanted Princess in September.

• Like 1

Another vote for the sensors.  No need for my torch now, always an issue with remembering to take batteries out before flying. Lol. Just wish the light would stay on when I am accessing the safe.

• Like 2

I absolutely hate the closet light but am fine with the nightstand ones.  They are much less annoying and bright.  I just bring some painters tape and feel around for the "bubble" on the side of the closet light and cover it just before bed and remove it in the morning.  It would have been nice if Princess had designated a switch just for that light.

9 hours ago, Senga said:

We were on Sky Princess last month and absolutely loved the automatic light under the night table and outside the bathroom.  We always carry a night light with us and obviously didn't need it this trip.  Looking forward to them on Enchanted Princess in September.

I don't think those lights are installed on the Enchanted yet.

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Love the nightlight outside the bathroom - late at night and never having to turn light on for the closet.  

If you fall in the cabin after disabling the sensors, that's your own fault, not Princess.

Absolutely correct. Acually if you fall with or without the lights in your cabin, I would say that is pretty much on the passenger and is not Princess fault. 

Before these annoying lights were installed, we did always bring a couple of battery operated  tea lights to put at night in the bathroom. But that bright closet could wake the dead!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I don't think those lights are installed on the Enchanted yet.

Thanks for the heads up.  Our nightlight will have to go back in our case!

16 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Love the nightlight outside the bathroom - late at night and never having to turn light on for the closet.  

If you fall in the cabin after disabling the sensors, that's your own fault, not Princess.

Lucky for me (and most of us), we own this handy dandy small item called a cell phone which we use as our night light. And................... it lights directly in front of us EVERY time and even shows the way. 

This is much preferred by most versus the other bright lights which disturb our sleeping cabin mates.

I guess those ships without night lights will be sued up the yin yang as you have stated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nini said:

Lucky for me (and most of us), we own this handy dandy small item called a cell phone which we use as our night light. And................... it lights directly in front of us EVERY time and even shows the way. 

This is much preferred by most versus the other bright lights which disturb our sleeping cabin mates.

I guess those ships without night lights will be sued up the yin yang as you have stated.

Your comment made me laugh. Handy dandy indeed. LOL!  I use my cellphone in my own home as well as when I'm on a cruise ship.  Much better to use it when not wanting to disturb your cabin mate than lights that seem to switch on at will.  My last Princess cruise, on the Crown, the toe kick lights kept going off randomly the first night.  I think it was the comforter that somehow would trigger the light.  We stuffed a towel in the toe kick space after that.

2 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

I have motion operated switches in my basement.  The switches have a rocker with 3 settings, "ON", "OFF" and "AUTO".  Wonder why Princess did not spring for this type of switch?

That would have been a smart choice.  Give the passenger a choice on when the light comes on.  Often I find that the cruise ship/cabin designers have no clue how frequent cruisers use the space/s they design.  Not Princess, but another line has beautiful cabins that are not functional for more than one passenger even though it is a two person cabin.

12 hours ago, nini said:

I use my Kindle as a night light. It's on a low setting so just bright enough to see where I'm going but doesn't make me wide awake thank goodness. If I get woken by a bright light in the middle of the night it can take 2-3 hours before I get back to sleep.

I found the rocking of the boat was making the motion light kick on in the middle of the night. It was the bathroom door and stuff I had hanging up in the closet. 

Keeping the bathroom closed took care of most of it.