Sensor lights on Sky Princess - who thought this was a good idea?

cavecreekguy

Currently on the Sky Princess. I walk into my cabin and the light in the closet area comes on. I guess it's a motion sensor, so I start fiddling with all the light switches. I can't seem to turn the light off. After a while it turns off. But I'm like, really? I can't turn a light off that I NEVER WANTED ON IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?

My cabin steward says it was an upgrade from the recent drydock. When I complain he eventually says "Oh maybe I can get maintenance to do something." I had a few post-its I brought on the ship and tried to use one to cover the sensor. Kind of worked a little depending on where I was in the area. Hours later I see my steward again and tell him it's REALLY bothering me. When I returned to my cabin someone had covered it with paper and tape. I'm so happy it doesn't come on anymore when I don't want it to. But I would really like to be able to turn it on when I want, and TURN IT OFF when I don't want it.

I had seen discussions on here about the motion sensor floor lights but they never bothered me. I guess I'll have to start bringing duct tape and everything like others have mentioned.

Be prepared!

• Like 1

Yes this was new to us as well .  Actually bothered me less that I thought it would.  After reading CC I did include some painters tape in my luggage.  I like the light in. under the drawers next to the bed ..still not sure about that closet light.  Didn’t cover the sensor with the tape this time.  We’ll see how it goes next cruise.

• Like 1

It was definitely a shock to us last Fall when we had them for the first time.  I have been undergoing bladder cancer surgeries/issues for a few years which has increased my night time trips to the bathroom significantly.  And every time I got up the lights lit up the room 🙂  We took another cruise over Christmas and brought supplies to remedy the problem 🙂   Overall probably a good thing - but as the OP said it would be nice to be able to control it other than with duct tape 🙂

Please do not use duct tape to cover the motion detector.  It will cause damage to the sensor, light fixture, and/or ceiling that you may be held responsible for. 

As another suggested, painters blue tape will do the job without damaging the device.

Many threads on this topic.  It is a nuisance.  Princess must have a lawsuit somewhere on the books.  Most seasoned cruisers have their own way to deal with nighttime lights.  In my opinion, Princess did not have to do this for everyone.  

• Like 3

The comments on this topic over the last months have baffled me.  We were on the Caribbean Princess in March, had the sensor lights.  They were never a bother at all.  Came on in the night.  Didn't stub my toe.  Got back into bed and closed my eyes.  Went back to sleep.  No issue for us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

The comments on this topic over the last months have baffled me.  We were on the Caribbean Princess in March, had the sensor lights.  They were never a bother at all.

...I'm honestly with you, and, perhaps we are the minority, I suppose. But the night lights have been very effective for us and I'm sure Princess realized they were having one too many nighttime falls and wanted to do something about it. I agree with the gist of the overall argument in that it's not customizable enough, but I think these sensored night lights do more good than not. The aggression with which people have in their hatred for these lights really baffles me.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

The comments on this topic over the last months have baffled me.  We were on the Caribbean Princess in March, had the sensor lights.  They were never a bother at all.  Came on in the night.  Didn't stub my toe.  Got back into bed and closed my eyes.  Went back to sleep.  No issue for us.

We were on a particularly rough cruise when it first bothered us.  The light came on every few minutes all through the night.  
My DH devised something to cover it with that was easily removed during the day when we did want that light.  It’s all done with magnets, cardboard and string .. no tape.  The one by the bed don’t bother me but being woken up with 200 watts of light flashing on and off all night … No WAY!  
(I might be exaggerating with the 200 watts …. 😆)

We bring a very small dim motion light for the bathroom .. I use the same thing at home.  It’s just enough light to not trip over anything.  

• Like 1

I'll agree that the closet light can certainly be annoying. It was making me a tad crazy on the Ruby in my balcony room. Too bright and stayed on forever! But I got over it...had no choice...lol...

The lights under the bedside cabinets are great though...absolutely love 'em. They don't shine in my eyes, they are a softer light, they don't stay on overly long...I like everything about them. 

I immediately noticed they didn't have the closet light in our suite on the Regal (which would have been stupid as the closets are in the room...not separate). But they had the great bedside lights. It was a perfect setup...

Edited by dlh015

40 minutes ago, david63 said:

No problem with them here either - saves having to find my torch in the middle of the night.

Brilliant idea😄

This came to my mind:

How to hold a torch is almost certainly on the list of things I never  thought I'd have to write about here. I mean, it's … | Indiana jones,  Raiders, Favorite movies

(PS - I do know what a torch is in the UK.  Soon as I saw the word, I knew if I looked left, I would see your country under your avatar. 😉 )

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first time I saw these the cabin steward and I fixed the issue with two bandaids and cotton ball.  For my next cruise, I'm bringing the blue painters tape.  It's bad enough that I'll be on Norway cruise in July, so very short nights.  I don't need a light coming on outside the bathroom too.

2 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

Currently on the Sky Princess. I walk into my cabin and the light in the closet area comes on. I guess it's a motion sensor, so I start fiddling with all the light switches. I can't seem to turn the light off. After a while it turns off. But I'm like, really? I can't turn a light off that I NEVER WANTED ON IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?

My cabin steward says it was an upgrade from the recent drydock. When I complain he eventually says "Oh maybe I can get maintenance to do something." I had a few post-its I brought on the ship and tried to use one to cover the sensor. Kind of worked a little depending on where I was in the area. Hours later I see my steward again and tell him it's REALLY bothering me. When I returned to my cabin someone had covered it with paper and tape. I'm so happy it doesn't come on anymore when I don't want it to. But I would really like to be able to turn it on when I want, and TURN IT OFF when I don't want it.

I had seen discussions on here about the motion sensor floor lights but they never bothered me. I guess I'll have to start bringing duct tape and everything like others have mentioned.

Be prepared!

I am with you. Kind of a small thing, but I find them very annoying. 

Reading all these comments from Princess cruisers and we're getting concerned about our upcoming 2 cruises!

Based on all your advice, we are going into both cruises armed with our painters tape. 

But, with a view to not wanting to spend time hunting for the culprit, can recent cruisers on the Caribbean and Sky tell us exactly where these sensors are?

Forewarned is forearmed!  😂  Thanks!

We don’t mind the ones on the floor by the bed. We just put the throw pillows down there at night. The big bright one in the closet is bad though! It has woken me up in the night when DH has gotten up. 
We now ask our steward on embarkation day to have it disabled and they are always happy to do so.

• Like 1

On my last cruise, I did not mind the floor sensors for the bedside tables at all.

The closet light bothered me not because it came on, but because it didn’t come on and stay on when I was in the closet. The sensor pointed to the Bathroom door, to the closet light came on every time I went into the bathroom, or opened or closed the bathroom door. But as I was rummaging in the closet, the light would go off and stay off, unless I was waving my arms around vigorously.  They need a light switch so I can turn the darn light on when I want it to be on, regardless of motion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

Reading all these comments from Princess cruisers and we're getting concerned about our upcoming 2 cruises!

Based on all your advice, we are going into both cruises armed with our painters tape. 

But, with a view to not wanting to spend time hunting for the culprit, can recent cruisers on the Caribbean and Sky tell us exactly where these sensors are?

Forewarned is forearmed!  😂  Thanks!

The one that ticks people off the most is the giant spotlight in the closet area just outside the bathroom. There is a motion sensor on the SIDE of the light. A small piece of painters tape, sticker, whatever over the sensor solves the problem. Don't use duct tape.

The others are on the floor in the nightstands. These ones aren't so bad.

I like to keep my "night eyes" when getting up and down. That spotlight is just awful. We tape it with painters tape and use a small battery candle in the bathroom which runs for days.

• Like 1

So if you disable the closet light but you need light in the closet area then what....far as i could find there is no on/off switch for that light and it can be pretty dark in the closet area with no light there...if anybody found such a switch i would love to know where it is located.

I switched the light off on the Emerald Princess last week with the switch next to the bed. Hope that works on the Royal Class ships (especially Enchanted and Royal). I like the light, like it even more when I can turn it off after getting back to hed

I don’t mind the closet all that much, but the floor lights under the night tables are flat out annoying. The slightest movement of anything, even a fleck of dust, seems to trigger them. Last cruise I achieved a modicum of success by rolling bath towels and edging them in. Next cruise small roll of painters tape will be accompanying me. 

Lawsuit or not this is one of the WORST cabin related decisions Princess have made. It makes the barrel chair debacle pale by comparison!

• Like 1

I hate the automatic lights. The Enchanted only had the one by the closet but the Caribbean had both. In my opinion they are way too bright, there was no way they wouldn’t wake me up if they turned on. Then I hav to sit and wait for them to turn off so I can try to go back to sleep. Even as a solo I wouldn’t be able to stand it.

The ones near the bed were especially ridiculous. They turned on randomly several times during the first night. 

If they’d asked me, I’d have suggested a nightlight in the bathroom might be helpful but these are worse than nothing.