Upgrading the included Classic Bevy to Premium worth it?

KristyMisty14

17 hours ago, 2flacruisers said:

That is exactly why we always upgrade...In addition, my DH is a coffee snob and won't drink the dining room coffee in the morning...so to the Cafe we go for Americano...

Which is included on the classic package....

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

I drink wine and the options are not great with Classic and better with Premium.  Also, DH drinks premium bourbons and none are included in Classic package.  We chose to upgrade.

We have found since Covid that the classic wines selections are wines we would never drink at home, so why would we on a cruise.  I also like a Mccallan 12 year old scotch or higher end bourbon before diner, and only the PDP will provide the whiskeys and better wines. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

only the PDP will provide the whiskeys and better wines

Technically not true. You can get any whiskey or wine with the Classic package or no package at all. If you like just one glass of McCallan 12 yr, the Classic package (or no package at all) would offer the best value.

Hoping someone can assuage my fears. My spouse loves to drink frozen beverages (mudslides, daiquiris, pina coladas). The classic includes up to $10 on Celebrity, but all the frozen drinks are showing as $12 on the celebrity app (just using Malibu, nothing crazy for the liquor). Is there going to be a $2.40 upcharge for all of these drinks? I’ll jump up to premium if so, will pay for any martinis as well. But if I can get those frozen drinks with house brands I’ll stick with classic and just pay the martini upcharge. 

Just seeing conflicting info between people saying the bartenders will take care of it and the pricing/limits on the classic package.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sawyernick

4 hours ago, Sawyernick said:

Hoping someone can assuage my fears. My spouse loves to drink frozen beverages (mudslides, daiquiris, pina coladas). The classic includes up to $10 on Celebrity, but all the frozen drinks are showing as $12 on the celebrity app (just using Malibu, nothing crazy for the liquor). Is there going to be a $2.40 upcharge for all of these drinks? I’ll jump up to premium if so, will pay for any martinis as well. But if I can get those frozen drinks with house brands I’ll stick with classic and just pay the martini upcharge. 

Interesting how they price these to be just over what Classic provides.

I'll be ordering some higher end wines not covered in Premium and will post my experience with up charges.

5 hours ago, Sawyernick said:

Just seeing conflicting info between people saying the bartenders will take care of it and the pricing/limits on the classic package.

Thanks in advance

What ship/itinerary? I know that sometimes the app gives conflicting information, but I'm looking at a Frozen Daiquiri on the Summit Pool Bar menu in the app, and I'm seeing $9.

Maybe it's a combination of a price increase to $10 and a European itinerary that has the service fee rolled into the drink price?

28 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

What ship/itinerary? I know that sometimes the app gives conflicting information, but I'm looking at a Frozen Daiquiri on the Summit Pool Bar menu in the app, and I'm seeing $9.

Maybe it's a combination of a price increase to $10 and a European itinerary that has the service fee rolled into the drink price?

It is Celebrity Silhouette going to Key West/Nassau (I know, not the best ports but I’ll just stay on the ship and the cruise was CHEAP) but the boat is currently off the coast of Norway, so I think you’re spot on with why the prices are different! 

I wouldn’t have ever considered that so thank you for the idea! 

On 6/22/2023 at 5:05 PM, Arubamoose said:

As far as the wines were concerned, we found that a lot of the premium wines that were supposedly on the menu were not available unless we were dining in the specialty restaurant and that was sporadic at best.  That annoyed me to no end because that was the main reason we upgraded.

Wine drinkers don't fare very well with drink packages. The bar staff generally don't know the first thing about wine, and you are lucky if you get the same varietal of wine, much less the same winery. The standard seems to be whatever is open at the moment. Ask for a premium level champagne and you probably get that prosecco in the refrigerator, the same as a Classic package guest would get. The MDR can be a little better in this regard, but not always. I've ordered a Mer Soleil when it was on the Premium list and been poured La Terre.

One time when I inquired about the discrepancy, I was told at the Sky Lounge bar that the wine list was just "examples", not something you actually ordered from.

So if that New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that you ordered has all the characteristics of one from South Africa instead, you're probably not wrong.

wines.jpg

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Wine drinkers don't fare very well with drink packages. The bar staff generally don't know the first thing about wine, and you are lucky if you get the same varietal of wine, much less the same winery.

So true. I remember once during HH I was in Eden and a new server poured me a glass of Decoy (Elite Benefit). When I went back for a top up he was on break and another server wanted to mix it with a Malbec.  Most know nothing about wines. I've had the drinks package 2x but mostly for the San Pellegrino and the Aspen coffee which I love.  It also covers drinks from world class bar.