Proper Lunch in MDR on the Luminosa 7 Day Alaska sailings-Is this something new?

kwokpot

It's been reported that on the Luminosa Alaska sailings there are times where lunch, not seaday brunch, is being served in the MDR. Is this something that was

always done on Alaskan cruises, or is this new to Luminosa? I know Journey itineraries have select days where lunch is served in the MDR (we had that last year on the Pride in Europe) but the Alaska cruises on the Luminosa are only seven days. I don't recall ANY seven day Caribbean itineraries with MDR lunch. I'm curious about this. 

The 8 day 5/8/17 sailing on the Legend had lunch on the day we visited Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm.  Ships frequently visit Endicott Arm instead of North or South Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm in May due to ice blocking the entrance.  Some people got onto an excursion boat to get closer to the glacier, but we were never in a port that day.  This was the third day of the cruise, and it was the day after a sea day.  We were in Skagway the next day at 7:00am.

The lunch had very limited choices, and they were really crappy if you disliked more than one ingredient.  There were two or three appetizers and I think four entrees, but I don't remember if dessert was offered.  One of the appetizers was a cold soup, and one of the entrees was a burger.  The burger was better than the burgers on Lido, although that didn't take much.  All of the choices seemed quick to prepare or easy to mostly prepare ahead of time.  It was open seating.

• Thanks 2

I had a lunch menu in the mdr on my 7 day Alaska cruise last year on Spirit. There was also an upcharge brunch offered in the steakhouse. 

If I remember correctly both of these were during our day cruising through Tracy Arm.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

This is common with multiple sea days in a row, or on days when the ship doesn't port until later.

I may be mistaken but I don't remember lunch being served on longer Caribbean itineraries. It does seem from the comments that it's commonplace on the Alaskan sailings, even those that are only 7 days. That's NOT the case on any 7 day Carnival caribbean itinerary that I've been on. I wonder if that has to do with the colder climate and crowd control.

Edited by kwokpot

7 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I had a lunch menu in the mdr on my 7 day Alaska cruise last year on Spirit. There was also an upcharge brunch offered in the steakhouse. 

If I remember correctly both of these were during our day cruising through Tracy Arm.

Those steakhouse brunches are AMAZING. It was one of the best meals I have ever had on a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Those steakhouse brunches are AMAZING. It was one of the best meals I have ever had on a cruise ship. 

In November I asked on the Magic if they offered the steakhouse brunch and was told no, that it was an experiment on certain ships that never took off. I wanted to go to it instead of the MDR brunch when the strip loin made its first appearance at brunch. I would have paid just to get the petite filet. 

21 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

In November I asked on the Magic if they offered the steakhouse brunch and was told no, that it was an experiment on certain ships that never took off. I wanted to go to it instead of the MDR brunch when the strip loin made its first appearance at brunch. I would have paid just to get the petite filet. 

I had it on a Pride Journeys cruise a couple of years ago. 

3 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I had it on a Pride Journeys cruise a couple of years ago. 

There have been few mentions of it in the past year. I'm afraid it's history. They may have introduced it too soon after the reopening of cruising. The concept is good and utilizes a venue dormant during the day. Hopefully the Steakhouse Brunch concept will return and enjoy success. 

Just off the Luminosa - failed miserably on a live lol but will do a proper detailed review soon - bur on this 6 day sailing there were 3 MDR lunch menus offered:

-Asian

- Mexican

- Spanish

I only made it to the Asian lunch. 

They were posted as availability 12-1 on the days offered. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lesters said:

Just off the Luminosa - failed miserably on a live lol but will do a proper detailed review soon - bur on this 6 day sailing there were 3 MDR lunch menus offered:

-Asian

- Mexican

- Spanish

I only made it to the Asian lunch. 

They were posted as availability 12-1 on the days offered. 

See, that's unheard of on Caribbean itineraries. Again I'm wondering if the cold weather has anything to do with it.

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

That's why I asked the question. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern of itineraries, at least it's not apparent, where they offer lunch.

Curious, so by proper you mean a lunch in MDR?

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Curious, so by proper you mean a lunch in MDR?

Correct. As we know for most of Carnival's itineraries Carnival only has seaday brunches,which now end at noon, so it definitely can't be considered lunch. As I also said I know the exception to this are Journey/longer itineraries which do offer lunch service in the MDR. That's why it seems odd to me that the Luminosa is offering lunch in the MDR on 6 and 7 day Alaskan sailings. I'm curious what's the rational and why it can't be applied to Caribbean cruises.   

FB_IMG_1687565800539.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Correct. As we know for most of Carnival's itineraries Carnival only has seaday brunches,which now end at noon, so it definitely can't be considered lunch. As I also said I know the exception to this are Journey/longer itineraries which do offer lunch service in the MDR. That's why it seems odd to me that the Luminosa is offering lunch in the MDR on 6 and 7 day Alaskan sailings. I'm curious what's the rational and why it can't be applied to Caribbean cruises.   

FB_IMG_1687565800539.jpg

got it, thanks was just trying to understand