Snorkeling at Rendezvous Caye vs Goff’s Caye vs Caye Caulker

novarph

I will be in Belize on the Caribbean Princess on July 12 and was wondering which has better snorkeling, Rendezvous Caye, Goff’s Caye or Caye Caulker. All 3 look great but there doesn't seem like much shade or activity on Goff's Caye and I'm not sure how snorkeling from the beach on Caye Caulker is. My kids (11 and 13) don't want to snorkel with the sharks and rays. Princess only has a snorkeling tour to Rendezvous Caye so I'd also have to either plan to go on our own or find another tour company for the other locations.  Any recommendations? 

• 2 weeks later...

Goff's Caye best tour in Belize. 

Done them all. I'm not sure I would do anything else visiting this destination. 

I booked it both times with Resorts for a Day. Have fun our CC group had a blast.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We have done both and loved them both. Both islands are similar and very small and primitive with few amenities. I would highly recommend either place. 

I have reviews on both if you're interested. They have tons of pictures included. 

GOFFS 

RENDEZVOUS

We have been to Caye Caulker, but it was during the shark ray alley tour and I believe in order to snorkel there you have to go out and around, but there are boats in that canal from what I remember so I didn't find any snorkeling there but maybe I wasn't in the right spot?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

mitsugirly

On 9/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, mitsugirly said:

We have done both and loved them both. Both islands are similar and very small and primitive with few amenities. I would highly recommend either place. 

I have reviews on both if you're interested. They have tons of pictures included. 

GOFFS 

RENDEZVOUS

We have been to Caye Caulker, but it was during the shark ray alley tour and I believe in order to snorkel there you have to go out and around, but there are boats in that canal from what I remember so I didn't find any snorkeling there but maybe I wasn't in the right spot?

I see your review for Goffs.  When was it written?  I am wondering how much has changed.  Thank you for sharing.

• 1 month later...

We are just back from rendezvous caye (through carnival excursion) and had a great time. We were the only group there, about 90 of us from the ship, and it was not crowded. We found a shady picnic table pretty easily. 

The snorkeling visibility was not great, but the guide explained that it was due to recent weather. We saw a good variety of creatures, including a huge sting ray that hung out at the beach with us.

The swimming beach was quite rocky compared to our next day at Cozumel. 

The lead guide was Clive Cain and our snorkel group guide was called Gadget.

Cheeseburgers and rum punch were included in our lunch and were just okay. You could buy additional drinks for less than you'd pay on the ship. ($5 rum shots, $7 mixed) and cookies/chips for 1-2$.

My son lost his underwater camera as we were snorkeling (it floated out of his trunks pocket) and he didn't realize it until later. We thought it was a lost cause, but two of the staff found it in the water and walked the island to find it's owner.

The snorkel masks were new and not our favorite, so experienced/picky might want to bring your own. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blue_water said:

I see they take you directly from the ship to RB. Carnival did that for us for Goff’s Caye years ago. Is that direct ship —> Goff’s still an option today from any cruise lines?

Not for Royal or MSC.  Not sure about carnival.  Still seeing some negative reports about company that takes you there so I am skipping in a couple of weeks.  

8 hours ago, merinski said:

Our tour with Princess to go to Rendezvous Caye was just cancelled. Now we are looking into Goff's Caye Privately... maybe Viator?

Try Shorexcursioneer or Resorts for a Day. I booked Goff's Caye twice with Resorts for a Day. No problemo. 

Have fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just did Goff’s Caye today.  We used Belize cruise excursions.  It was $48 pp.  Deposit of 20% prior.  Picnic tables, BBQ (not included), rum punch (included), no showers, wifi or chairs.  Bathrooms.  Very rustic.  Positives - fantastic reef and snorkeling.  You can go on your own but suggest going with someone on your own as it was rough today.  Or the company has guides that will take you on a boat which is much easier.  We of course like idiots went on our own halfway around the island and had a heck of a time in one spot in the current.  We ordered jerk chicken and lobster with sides.  Total was $40 but it was delicious.  

20231231_132020-1.jpg

PC310024.JPG

PC310025.JPG

PC310017.JPG

20231231_141536.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We did Rendezvous caye excursion with Carnival last week. They have a new provider..Exotic. They were so professional,knowledgeable and entertaining. The snorkeling was very good. The guides were very good at pointing out numerous fish and coral.The island clean,the equipment new. Shaded tables and chairs are numerous. 

Lunch was no longer included so Carnival gave us a 25% refund. Lunch is available for a charge and it looked good. BBQ  chicken and fixings,Vast improvement over the previously offered mystery burger.

We are back from our trip. We went through Viator with Splash Wave Tours. They were very unorganized. We were told to sit and wait in the heat for at least a half hour then we were put in a boat, the windows were covered and it was like an oven and sat there for about 45 min. waiting for 2 people.

The guides looked like they didn't want to be there. The Captain was nice and we saw him talk to some of the people, but the 2 women where not friendly. When we got to Goff's Caye, it is a beautiful little island. We asked about a guide for snorkeling, but the woman told us she didn't want to go in the water unless there were enough people... We went on our own. It was ok, but not as good as we had thought it would be. 

Not to do with Splash Wave Tours , there were 4 ships in port and the tenders were so unoranagized that it took a long time to get on one from the ship and when we got back, we waited in line for an hour & a half in the heat!!! I would not go to shore in Belize again if there are more ships in port like that and I would NOT go with Splash Wave Tours! I don't like to give bad reviews, but they need to change how they treat their guests. To Us it was not worth it...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, merinski said:

We are back from our trip. We went through Viator with Splash Wave Tours. They were very unorganized. We were told to sit and wait in the heat for at least a half hour then we were put in a boat, the windows were covered and it was like an oven and sat there for about 45 min. waiting for 2 people.

The guides looked like they didn't want to be there. The Captain was nice and we saw him talk to some of the people, but the 2 women where not friendly. When we got to Goff's Caye, it is a beautiful little island. We asked about a guide for snorkeling, but the woman told us she didn't want to go in the water unless there were enough people... We went on our own. It was ok, but not as good as we had thought it would be. 

Not to do with Splash Wave Tours , there were 4 ships in port and the tenders were so unoranagized that it took a long time to get on one from the ship and when we got back, we waited in line for an hour & a half in the heat!!! I would not go to shore in Belize again if there are more ships in port like that and I would NOT go with Splash Wave Tours! I don't like to give bad reviews, but they need to change how they treat their guests. To Us it was not worth it...

We had read the bad reviews of splash wave and opted for Belize cruise excursions which was much better.  What a shame!

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We had read the bad reviews of splash wave and opted for Belize cruise excursions which was much better.  What a shame!

I'm glad you had a better experience with Belize cruise excursions. I wondered if there were other companies, we booked through Viator, who booked Splash Wave. Now Trip Adviser (Viator) says they will not publish my review!  They say it doesn't meet their requirements, but will not say why. Viator says they are looking into it. It looks like V & T A are connected...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We just returned from cruising on the Regal Princess and it was my first time to Belize. We chose the Rendezvous Caye excursion through Princess, officially called Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef. I thought it was among the best excursions I've done in 15 Caribbean cruises. The boat picked us up off the ship so no tendering the Belize City first. We were the only ship in port that day and 2 boats took about 100 of us out to the Caye. It was jaw droppingly beautiful. Weather was perfect and the water is crystal . The team was fantastic and took us out in groups of 20. One of our companions stayed behind and swam in the water. I think it is appropriate for all experience levels. My brother who has only snorkeled twice felt very comfortable. It was $129 and didn't include lunch. On the ride to the island they offered descriptions of the lunch and you could decide if you wanted it or not. It was BBQ pork, chicken or Italian sausage with 2 sides. No veg option. Cost was $15-25 depending on what you wanted.  It also included one rum punch with additional punch and other drinks available for cash. You needed cash for lunch or other drinks and the few souvenirs offered. Fortunately I kew this going in.

My only complaint is that the water felt pretty busy at times as far as numbers of people with the group. You know, people swimming into me and kicking to close to me. So I went to the outer edge of the group.  There was an option to go back out independently once the swim with the guide was over.  But I let it be. We were out there for a good 45 mins.

Overall I loved this, and crew were top notch friendly, informative, and fun.

• 1 month later...

I have booked through Princess a trip to Caye Caulker, but they also offer the trip to  Rendezvous Caye mentioned above. I'm booking through Princess since it's a tender port and  for at least the Caye Caulker they pick you up at the boat. Sometimes it is just easier!

On 2/27/2024 at 2:08 PM, Elizabeth K. said:

We chose the Rendezvous Caye excursion through Princess, officially called Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef. I thought it was among the best excursions I've done in 15 Caribbean cruises.

Does anyone know which place has better snorkeling? I swam with the reef sharks last year in Bora Bora and it was fabulous, but swimming with sharks isn't what I'm going for. I want to see lots of marine life and healthy coral. I don't need to sit on an island without shade (have had several skin cancers), just want to snorkel. mitsugirly and jean87510 have been very helpful on the Cozumel forum. Also, Elizabeth, it sounded like you had the option to go out again on your own? From reviews I had read earlier I didn't know that was an option. I like the time of the Rendezvous excursion better...12:00-5:00. Caye Caulkner is 7:30 am. Anyone done both and can compare both snorkeling areas? Thank you so much!