chair flies to upper deck on independence

People in Florida would know where to look and more likely would have seen the forecasts.

We were at Coco Cay before it was perfect, facing north, and DW went to the rest room.  She came back quickly and said we have to go back to the ship. I got up and saw a big black cloud to the south, and we caught the first tender back to the ship.

We were back in our room to drop our beach stuff, when the captain  made an announcement warning everyone to stay off all outside decks, including balconies.

Being anchored, the ship was pointed into the wind, and we watched through our balcony door , the wind was so strong the rain was horizontal.  I never went up on deck, but lot of passengers were hunkered down on the island. The storm passed in just a couple of minutes, but the seas stayed rough, so tendering was rough after that.

Now that Coco Cay is perfect, I cannot imagine that storm hitting that ship broadside while moored at the pier.

What i'm a bit confused about in this is that RCL continues to push the "no serious injuries" line when we've all seen videos of people being directly hit by flying deck chairs. It seems like there was a failure on many levels here to have so many guests outside still when they could have seen this coming (cue the conversation about a staff meteorologist again).

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So glad there dosnt seem to be any serious injuries. Looked rough but you could clearly see the weather closing in. 

Surprised people didnt notice it or checked their phones for weather forcasts 🤔

Weather Warnings there had ended for a while before Ship sailed. Not knowing what they did at time sometimes popup events are unavoidable. 

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So glad there dosnt seem to be any serious injuries. Looked rough but you could clearly see the weather closing in. 

Surprised people didnt notice it or checked their phones for weather forcasts 🤔

Probably frightened of losing their sun lounger or their 25 USD towel deposit. 

Edited by Pandamonia
  • Haha 2

Poor thing was probably trying to escape the chair hogs who regularly abandon and neglect them, throwing nasty towels, stinky shoes and boring books on their midsections. No one messes with them on the upper level of the pool deck, so it was a smart move. 

Living in the area as someone who drive a topless jeep whenever the weather will let me I know all too well how pop up storms come out of nowhere. 

On radar once the NWS has accumulated enough past images to cobble together into a radar animation you can see these storms literally develop out of thin air.   The problem is you can't see them growing in a radar animation until they have happened.  By that time I find myself driving in the rain with the top down regretting taking the jeep on that day.  

That's Florida weather in the summer.  

I'm a grown adult and I take chances sometimes like driving the jeep on some occasion, like I am doing today, knowing that despite a clear forecast a pop up storm is still possible.   In this case I have to ask why people stayed outside?   If I'm cutting the grass and I see a dark cloud developing around me I stop and go inside.  I know lightning is probably next.  I don't wait for the NWS, my county or the police to tell to get my butt inside.  I know better.  

• Like 1