Luggage---what is the best?

trouble1964

46 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, the wheels on my Eagle Creek two-wheelers can best be described as something like "off road" tires on cars. They have treads, and they are quite sturdy on all types of terrain.

LOL!!  What I can't figure out is how the luggage companies have convinced so many people that 4 wheels are better than 2.  I can't see any advantage to 4.

DON

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

LOL!!  What I can't figure out is how the luggage companies have convinced so many people that 4 wheels are better than 2.  I can't see any advantage to 4.

DON

4 wheels are very good on even surface, for example at an airport. Very easy to handle on even surface.

• Like 1

For me - soft side 21" roller bag with two wheels (roller blade style).  I also look carefully at weight as traveling internationally they may weigh that bag along with my carry on.  Travel Pro has traveled well, wipes up pretty clean and has sturdy wheels.  My take after weekly travel - 4 wheels are great on smooth pavement or airport floors, are awful on carpet or uneven ground and break off very easily (watch the sad faces as baggage comes out on the carousel).  

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You got it!!  The diameter of the wheels on my 2-wheel bag are at least 2 or 3 times the ones on my 4 wheel bag.  Wheel size matters.

DON

Not as much as what the wheels are made of. 
Take a look at Briggs and Riley wheels - both 2 and 4 configuration: indestructible.

TravelPro used to be that way. Now, you only get their best wheels (solid rubber with stainless steel ball bearings) on a warranty repair.

I like the 4 wheels on the Swissgear because I can just push it instead of pulling it behind me. It just takes a gentle hand on the handle and rolls smoothly. 

As far as making them easy to find, we always put neon duct tape on the sides. 

I think I am going to stick with soft sides since so many of you have mentioned scuffing on the hard shell ones. I would really like a lighter color one (I've seen some champagne colored soft sides) but I know that would have black marks on it after the first time it was handled. The suitcases we have now are still in good shape, they just look so "dingy" and marked up from being handled. If I knew a way to get all the marks and stains off of them, I would likely clean them up and keep using them. 

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

On 6/26/2023 at 11:36 AM, no1racefan1 said:

I bought our soft-side luggage for about $50 each at Walmart about 10 years ago. It's iFly brand. It's got plenty of scuffs but nothing broken and still works just as if it was brand new. We only fly about once per year so maybe it wouldn't hold up to more frequent use. I think they are 25" (we used to have bigger and DH revolted and said he was done lifting bigger suitcases into the car). I've used a hard-sided case before and I hated the clamshell style.

I have the iFly hard sided luggage as well and really like it. The wheels are large, so it's easy to walk with. The outside is dinged up here and there from flying 2-3 times a year, but it's all cosmetic. I have the larger 27" but don't use it because I can easily pack 70 pounds in it. My go-to for long trips is the 25' and the carry-on size is perfect. iFly has some kind of warranty for 10 years? I'd have to look up my paperwork. I registered all my pieces but have not had any issues. For the price, these are great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I would have agreed with you until our recent trip to Japan.  When you travel around Japan, you see many Japanese moving around with luggage (often large pieces).  Everywhere we went, we primarily saw the hard side, carbon fiber, luggage with 4 wheels.  While we would be pulling our 2 wheel luggage, the Japanese would be pulling, pushing, having their luggage in front, on their side, etc.  They had an easier time maneuvering in crowded areas (and on trains) than we did with our trusty 2 wheelers.  Consider that you can push a 4 wheel bag, sideways, down a narrow island.  We were sold and will soon add some of those newer carbon fiber bags to our collection.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would have agreed with you until our recent trip to Japan.  When you travel around Japan, you see many Japanese moving around with luggage (often large pieces).  Everywhere we went, we primarily saw the hard side, carbon fiber, luggage with 4 wheels.  While we would be pulling our 2 wheel luggage, the Japanese would be pulling, pushing, having their luggage in front, on their side, etc.  They had an easier time maneuvering in crowded areas (and on trains) than we did with our trusty 2 wheelers.  Consider that you can push a 4 wheel bag, sideways, down a narrow island.  We were sold and will soon add some of those newer carbon fiber bags to our collection.

Hank

W-WWhattt !!😨 Ya mean like over here, American women and their hand bags ?? Shessssh !!

Mac

On 6/28/2023 at 7:30 AM, Hlitner said:

They had an easier time maneuvering in crowded areas (and on trains) than we did with our trusty 2 wheelers.  Consider that you can push a 4 wheel bag, sideways, down a narrow island. 

This!! It's so much easier to just guide it, rather than pull it. On a straight floor, you can give it a shove and it will roll a good piece too! Carry on bags with 4 wheels are so easy to get down the aisles of a plane when you can turn them sideways. 

I usually push mine in front of me, or pull it beside me instead of having to pull behind. It will wear your arm out if you have to go a long way pulling one. 

The very first time I used a 2 wheel suitcase (about 30 years ago), the airline broke one of the wheels off. I ended up having to carry it or try to balance it and pull it on one wheel, which was exhausting. 

• Like 1