Carnival Celebration Delay

Tatertottie

There is a YouTube l feed with audio if you want to listen in.  They opened the cargo side but the cruise channel remains closed as the accident took place in the narrowest part.  Along with investigation they mentioned in audio that the smaller ship ( 30ft they’ve said ) that hit the ferry sank.  My question there is what sort of depth clearance they have if it one the bottom in the passage point?  Anyway if you have access try that port of Miami live channel with audio and you can hear more 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sail2day said:

Here is a screenshot of the app showing the container ship entering Government Cut. 

Seaboard Blue wound up turning just past Fisher Island and is now south of Dodge Island. It looks like cruise ships still can't get in the main channel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PamalaX said:

There is a YouTube l feed with audio if you want to listen in.  They opened the cargo side but the cruise channel remains closed as the accident took place in the narrowest part.  Along with investigation they mentioned in audio that the smaller ship ( 30ft they’ve said ) that hit the ferry sank.  My question there is what sort of depth clearance they have if it one the bottom in the passage point?  Anyway if you have access try that port of Miami live channel with audio and you can hear more 

Can you share the link? Thanks!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Seaboard Blue wound up turning just past Fisher Island and is now south of Dodge Island. It looks like cruise ships still can't get in the main channel.

Yes, I agree. There must be an issue with the wreckage of the accident and the main channel. 

1 hour ago, PamalaX said:

I agree that the wreckage of the boat that sank might be creating a depth clearance issue in the channel. 

The crane that will lift out the sunken ship is on standby until the divers are out of the water. A lot going on with Miami Beach police channels right now. There is even an auto accident (serious) on one of the draw bridges and it cannot be opened...

10 minutes ago, Greyhoundcat said:

Carnival going above and beyond. Kudos to them. 

True. And no matter what there will be some angry Karen blaming this whole situation on John Heald, removing gratuities and demanding a full refund plus a free cruise.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

17 minutes ago, Greyhoundcat said:

Carnival going above and beyond. Kudos to them. 

I am currently in line for one of the shuttles to Bayside. Bags have been left with porters. My son and I took a train from South Carolina to Miami so we don't have a rental car. We had to check out of our hotel at 12pm so we were stuck hostage by our luggage. At least now the burden of luggage is gone and we will shop and eat until we're told that the Port is open. We really appreciate Carnival providing the shuttles and I can't wait to let their staff know how much we appreciate them.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I've been following the information released from CCL, NCL, and MSC. 

CCL has blown away it's competition today. Their updates are more frequent and the gesture of $20 plus busses to Bayside is above and beyond IMO. 

I can find no confirmation that NCL or MSC are taking care of their passengers in a similar fashion. They might be, but that information is not free flowing. 

Bravo to CCL.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've been following the information released from CCL, NCL, and MSC. 

CCL has blown away it's competition today. Their updates are more frequent and the gesture of $20 plus busses to Bayside is above and beyond IMO. 

I can find no confirmation that NCL or MSC are taking care of their passengers in a similar fashion. They might be, but that information is not free flowing. 

Bravo to CCL.

As a passenger on Celebration today I agree. I've made friends with people from our hotel and we all exchanged numbers. Those with NCL and MSC have been surprised by how well CCL has treated us. I'm on the bus headed to Bayside and everyone is in good spirits. The general consensus is that none of this is Carnival's fault. Here's our last text. 

DDF4EFC8-1BBD-4AE2-923E-1471744724B8.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TreyB said:

Sad for the loss of life. 

Always arrive at port at least one day before embarkation day. 

Always schedule to leave port at least one day after debarkation day. 

I think when most people are asking if they can make this or that time, they have the understanding of under normal circumstances. 

Of course anything could happen at any time to delay the ship from getting into port; we were about an hour late getting back into Miami on our last cruise on Horizon in April due to a medical evacuation on the the last sea day. Things happen and people get that, but to recommend not to fly back until the day after the cruise returns to the port for the most off chance something happens is ridiculous. 

Once the cruise returns to port, I’m ready to get off the ship and drive the two hour trip home (if sailing from Galveston) or get on a flight home as quickly as possible to get laundry completed, bags put away and prepared for the upcoming week. I’m willing to take that risk of flying out as soon as I think is reasonably possibly, knowing the risk I’m taking and willing to go with the flow if something delays the process. 

Priority debarkation does play a large role in my decision to take that risk, but on most every cruise I’ve been off between 7:30a-8a. I’ve never understood the logic of lingering on the ship until the last minute or even staying an extra day in port without any reason other than to make a flight in the off chance the ship’s late to port. 

• Like 5

Celebration is scheduled to call at Amber Cove Tuesday at 7:00 AM. I wouldn't be surprised if that call gets canceled entirely. Even with the original itinerary Celebration would have to average close to 18 knots just to make it from Amber Cove to San Juan in 15.5 hours (4:30 PM Tuesday to 8:00 AM Wednesday).