PARIS ON YOUR OWN EXCURSION

victory2020

Hello all, I hesitated & missed booking the Paris guided tour & all that's left is Paris on your own. I have never been in the city & will be doing this solo. Has anyone done this tour? Where do they drop you off? Can I walk to various sights from the drop of point? I'm not really confident using the public transportation in France

I have not done this tour and it's a long time since I was in Paris. The things we wanted to see were not in easily walking distance between each other. We used public transport. I do believe there is a Hop-on-hop-off bus in Paris though that might fit you. But looking at the tour you don't seen to get a lot of time in Paris considering the long drive from-to port.
Drop-off should be somewhere central, like Place de la Concorde or similar. Then at least Louvre is nearby!

Even if you were with others, I would not recommend this excursion as you basically dip your toe in Paris and are forced out of the tub water way too soon. It’s around 3 Hours Dr. each way with a possibility of traffic, to just have a few hours in Paris. The safety factor is amplified by the fact that you will be alone, so I definitely would not recommend going. I remember reading about a couple who had literally just stepped off the tour bus to walk across the bridge, and while on the bridge, was pickpocketed. If you really wanna do, Paris, fly through Paris, before, or after the cruise, and do tours to explore, so you’re in a group. We were able to fly through Paris and have our whole time they’re paid for by the cost savings of doing a stop over there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to agree that it's way too little time in Paris, especially considering all the time spent on the coach. I said in my previous post that the Louvre at least is probably close, but then the Louvre needs a couple of hours and that's about all you'll get. If you just got dropped down in Paris and had three hours, ok, you could dip your toes and plan  to return at some other point. But to travel about 3 hours each way to get 3 hours in Paris... I wouldn't do it!

• Like 1

I've never had the desire to go to Paris & want to do the tour just to see the Eiffel Tower. I would never do Paris any other way because for me a few hours will suffice. They do have a guided tour with a river cruise for a lot more - I may do that if I can get any info on it.

Try and book in advance for any museums or attractions you wish to visit as the on the day sales are usually queuing for 3/4 hours as we found this May.

we used the free now taxi app to get around and this worked well vs metro with a small child. The temperatures were quite high as was the humidity.

I took the guided tour and river cruise a few years ago with the Breakaway. I’d been to Paris a few times so this tour was a nice refresher. You get a good view of the Eiffel Tower from both the bus and the river. The river cruise included a superb lunch with wine flowing. I thought it was worth the cost.

You might want to take a look at the Ports board for more recent reviews.

Edited by Zippeedee
Add port board suggestion

11 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Hello all, I hesitated & missed booking the Paris guided tour & all that's left is Paris on your own. I have never been in the city & will be doing this solo. Has anyone done this tour? Where do they drop you off? Can I walk to various sights from the drop of point? I'm not really confident using the public transportation in France

Do a hop-on/hop-off narrated tour. But don’t get off the bus, given your time constraints. When we take people to Paris, that is what we do. And spend the subservient days (which you don’t have) to see the city by metro and foot. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I took the guided tour and river cruise a few years ago with the Breakaway. I’d been to Paris a few times so this tour was a nice refresher. You get a good view of the Eiffel Tower from both the bus and the river. The river cruise included a superb lunch with wine flowing. I thought it was worth the cost.

You might want to take a look at the Ports board for more recent reviews.

If you recommend the tour I may go ahead & do that. I didn't know if it was worth the money but it sounds like it is

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

IF they drop you off att Place de la Concorde it's about 2,4 km (1,5 mile) according to Google Maps 

Screenshot_2023-06-27-00-02-42-084_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Thank you. I called the excursion desk & they have no idea where we will be dropped off. Have you been on this tour before?

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Thank you. I called the excursion desk & they have no idea where we will be dropped off. Have you been on this tour before?

No I haven't. So I'm just guessing with Place de Concorde 

Seems the On Your Own tour would perfectly meet your desire to "just see the Eiffel Tower". Indeed, the tower is amazing up close and personal. Be sure to buy a ticket online in advance so you can ride the elevator inside the wrought iron lattice to the top. A memory for a lifetime. And it's nice to relax in the surrounding park just admiring the tower. Don't worry about where the drop off point of the excursion will be. The guide will help direct you. And if the Eiffel seems too far to walk, you can easily take a taxi. That's the meaning of the On Your Own tours: Do what you want to do. Being at the Eiffel Tower is a great way to spend your three hours in Paris. And I would say worth the three hour bus ride to be there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recently returned from an 8-day vacation in Paris, my first visit, and I was solo.   The day I
 landed, I decided to walk from my hotel to the Orsay museum, and I ended up feeling overwhelmed by the crowds, the traffic, and the streets angling every which way, which caused me to go off in the wrong direction a couple of times.   Google maps had said it was a 24 minute walk, but it took me twice as long.   Google must time it with local speedwalkers in the middle of the night when there is no traffic. 

I would not recommend an on-your-own excursion to Paris for your first visit, especially since you haven't been able to find out where you would be dropped off. As for visiting the Eiffel Tower, you would need to buy a timed ticket in advance, and they sell out quickly on the day they become available. It is a memorable experience, but it would be difficult to know what time to pick.   Even with a timed ticket, security lines can be long. Waits for the elevator coming down are unpredictable.  Personally, I would be a nervous wreck doing this on a cruise stop from Le Havre.   However, there is a recent post on the ports of call board by a woman whose family did it last year, and she called it a glorious experience.

As of the time of my visit in late May/early June this year, the major museums required or recommended timed tickets.  It would be hard to know what time would best work with the timing and drop off point of the excursion.   Even with a timed ticket, allow for security lines, especially at the Louvre.  

I used public transportation during my visit, but I had time to learn it.  I didn't use taxis, but I did pass taxi stands occasionally, often with a small group waiting, so who knows how long you might wait to get one.   It didn't appear that taxis could be hailed from the street as in New York, but I could be wrong.  A taxi can be easier than figuring out the Metro on a first visit, but with the traffic, walking may almost be faster.

If you heart is set on seeing Paris, the river boat cruise sounds like a good idea if it is available.   If it is full and you go ahead with the on-your-own excursion, I will suggest the Batobus.   It's a hop-on hop-off unnarrated boat ride.   The full route takes about 90 minutes, lets you see the Eiffel Tower, some of the famous bridges and other sights along the river, costs 20 euros, and can be picked up in various locations.   Check their website for which locations sell tickets; most do, but not all.  I also did the HOHO bus, but it can be crowded to the point where you are not able to get on when you want and have to wait for the next bus.   The Batobus always had lots of room, but of course I can't predict the situation on the day you might be there.  

27 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I recently returned from an 8-day vacation in Paris, my first visit, and I was solo.   The day I
 landed, I decided to walk from my hotel to the Orsay museum, and I ended up feeling overwhelmed by the crowds, the traffic, and the streets angling every which way, which caused me to go off in the wrong direction a couple of times.   Google maps had said it was a 24 minute walk, but it took me twice as long.   Google must time it with local speedwalkers in the middle of the night when there is no traffic. 

I would not recommend an on-your-own excursion to Paris for your first visit, especially since you haven't been able to find out where you would be dropped off. As for visiting the Eiffel Tower, you would need to buy a timed ticket in advance, and they sell out quickly on the day they become available. It is a memorable experience, but it would be difficult to know what time to pick.   Even with a timed ticket, security lines can be long. Waits for the elevator coming down are unpredictable.  Personally, I would be a nervous wreck doing this on a cruise stop from Le Havre.   However, there is a recent post on the ports of call board by a woman whose family did it last year, and she called it a glorious experience.

As of the time of my visit in late May/early June this year, the major museums required or recommended timed tickets.  It would be hard to know what time would best work with the timing and drop off point of the excursion.   Even with a timed ticket, allow for security lines, especially at the Louvre.  

I used public transportation during my visit, but I had time to learn it.  I didn't use taxis, but I did pass taxi stands occasionally, often with a small group waiting, so who knows how long you might wait to get one.   It didn't appear that taxis could be hailed from the street as in New York, but I could be wrong.  A taxi can be easier than figuring out the Metro on a first visit, but with the traffic, walking may almost be faster.

If you heart is set on seeing Paris, the river boat cruise sounds like a good idea if it is available.   If it is full and you go ahead with the on-your-own excursion, I will suggest the Batobus.   It's a hop-on hop-off unnarrated boat ride.   The full route takes about 90 minutes, lets you see the Eiffel Tower, some of the famous bridges and other sights along the river, costs 20 euros, and can be picked up in various locations.   Check their website for which locations sell tickets; most do, but not all.  I also did the HOHO bus, but it can be crowded to the point where you are not able to get on when you want and have to wait for the next bus.   The Batobus always had lots of room, but of course I can't predict the situation on the day you might be there.  

Thanks, this seems like a great option. I would like to go up the Eiffel Tower but am afraid there is not enough time. Just want to see the major soghts & I know traffic can be difficult

I agree this excursion is not worth it--LONG drive each way & just a few hours there, when you are not familiar with the area or comfortable with public transportation, it doesn't seem worth it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks, this seems like a great option. I would like to go up the Eiffel Tower but am afraid there is not enough time. Just want to see the major soghts & I know traffic can be difficult

I have been to Paris but my kids haven't. I've tried to fit it in pre cruise and its not possible.

Atm Im considering the long trek on the cruise "Paris on you own" tour just for them to see the Eiffel Tower. Definitely going to look into the Batobus option as I do remember the HOHO being full and not being able to get on etc

I know we come on CC for advice but Everyone is quick to jump on the "dont waste your time" train. Sometimes its good to be able to get that kind of advice and most times Ive  followed that advice of the fellow experienced cruisers on this forum.

HOWEVER, respectfully, every circumstance is different for everybody!

For example Europe is far from Australia and ywe have to take the moments when we can!!!

My kids will be in the later high school years and Its not easy to take 1 month off to visit Europe each year. (very far and bloody expensive for us) 

Its been 6 years since I went to the Amalfi coast on a shore excursion to see pompeii/positano/amalfi/sorrento lots of advice was  "not to bother" "too rushed" "you spend more time stuck in traffic" etc etc and it was one of the most magical days of my life being able to see that postcard view of positano....who knows when I will visit again?! No regrets. (and yes we spent more time in the bus than at the sights)

so is the 6 hour return bus worth it for a photo or the chance to see the Eiffel tower? only you can answer that and if like me its your only option then YES! 😊

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ajnp said:

I have been to Paris but my kids haven't. I've tried to fit it in pre cruise and its not possible.

Atm Im considering the long trek on the cruise "Paris on you own" tour just for them to see the Eiffel Tower. Definitely going to look into the Batobus option as I do remember the HOHO being full and not being able to get on etc

I know we come on CC for advice but Everyone is quick to jump on the "dont waste your time" train. Sometimes its good to be able to get that kind of advice and most times Ive  followed that advice of the fellow experienced cruisers on this forum.

HOWEVER, respectfully, every circumstance is different for everybody!

For example Europe is far from Australia and ywe have to take the moments when we can!!!

My kids will be in the later high school years and Its not easy to take 1 month off to visit Europe each year. (very far and bloody expensive for us) 

Its been 6 years since I went to the Amalfi coast on a shore excursion to see pompeii/positano/amalfi/sorrento lots of advice was  "not to bother" "too rushed" "you spend more time stuck in traffic" etc etc and it was one of the most magical days of my life being able to see that postcard view of positano....who knows when I will visit again?! No regrets. (and yes we spent more time in the bus than at the sights)

so is the 6 hour return bus worth it for a photo or the chance to see the Eiffel tower? only you can answer that and if like me its your only option then YES! 😊

Exactly. I also found another river cruise that does not stop & is al ittle shorter since we have limited time. Bateaux Mouches

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:06 AM, victory2020 said:

Exactly. I also found another river cruise that does not stop & is al ittle shorter since we have limited time. Bateaux Mouches

I might have a look into that too 😊

• 3 months later...

Update: im writing this on the free wifi in the car service as we return from our trip to Paris. As mentioned before I’ve been but my teenage boys haven’t, and today’s shore excursion day exceeded our expectations.

it felt like the longest day ever sightseeing, anything but short or waste of time. 
It was a really great decision and have no regrets taking the long drive in and back. 
You have to spend weeks not hours to see this magical city, BUT if you only have a few hours, and you have never been here before, or don’t know when you will be able to come again DO NOT HESITATE to see Paris for the day, seeing is experiencing IMO and my boys who really had no interest in coming are already talking about next time….

we used Mika taxi Le Havre

and they were fantastic start to finish.

4 passengers it was $200 more to do a private car than the ships shore excursion worth every cent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1