Mariner Passenger Overboard Rescued

28 minutes ago, BND said:

My DH is a retired Navy Captain and he's amazed.  Where did you jump from 100 ft?  And you were trained to do so?  She "fell" which indicates no control.

Absolutely, completely untrained.  We started doing it in our young teen years and I continued well into dulthood.  I finally quit in my early 30's.  Lynn Canyon is a popular destination in North Vancouver that people flock to every summer. People have been doing this since the early 80's when I started.  People  continue to this day. Here is a video of someone doing it a few years ago. I was 16 the first time I jumped from this very spot. Of course there is risk but the the biggest risk isn't hitting the waterfall it's making sure you clear the waterfall.  This guys technique is rubbish but it is an example of someone doing it.  Others look far more graceful.  If you ever take a cruise out YVR to Alaska and stay over to explore I'll give you directions to Lynn canyon so you can see it live.   Every weekend, from late July through mid Sept, hundreds of folks will flock here to jump from this and other cliffs further down the canyon.   Typically the height is between 60 and 100 ft

Here is another example in the same area... These guys are hitting the 60 foot cliff or riding the waterslide.

Edited by Tree_skier

22 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

You must have one of those conditions where you feel no pain because 30 years in the USCG and having entered the water a fair share amount of times from pretty good heights has taught me much different. Unless you are a skilled cliff diver, it is very unlikely to hit water, still or choppy, from 100 feet without feeling pain. Heck, 100 feet is even out of the range of most cliff divers. 

I can assure you I feel lots of pain just like normal people. I don't know what to say except we did every weekend for years.  It was the ultimate adrenaline rush.  The world record for cliff jumping was set In 2015 by Laso Schaller, with a jump of 58.8 m (193 ft).

Diving, I can't imagine but jumping and landing feet first while wearing decent footwear can be done easily at 60 feet and relatively pain free at 100 ft

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Absolutely, completely untrained.  We started doing it in our young teen years and I continued well into dulthood.  I finally quit in my early 30's.  Lynn Canyon is a popular destination in North Vancouver that people flock to every summer. People have been doing this since the early 80's when I started.  People  continue to this day. Here is a video of someone doing it a few years ago. I was 16 the first time I jumped from this very spot. Of course there is risk but the the biggest risk isn't hitting the waterfall it's making sure you clear the waterfall.  This guys technique is rubbish but it is an example of someone doing it.  Others look far more graceful.  If you ever take a cruise out YVR to Alaska and stay over to explore I'll give you directions to Lynn canyon so you can see it live.   Every weekend, from late July through mid Sept, hundreds of folks will flock here to jump from this and other cliffs further down the canyon.   Typically the height is between 60 and 100 ft

OMG

Edited by KelJ

1 hour ago, BND said:

My DH is a retired Navy Captain and he's amazed.  Where did you jump from 100 ft?  And you were trained to do so?  She "fell" which indicates no control.

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then.  She was incredibly, incredibly lucky.  

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Here is another example in the same area... These guys are hitting the 60 foot cliff or riding the waterslide.

It's gotta be said:  Boys are stupid!  

Just kidding, but wow.  

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then.  She was incredibly, incredibly lucky.  

It's gotta be said:  Boys are stupid!  

Just kidding, but wow.  

My early life was filled with bad decisions LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe it's a Canadian thing! Here is Horseshoe  lake in Jasper, Ab which is a popular site. The first and last jumps in this video are approximately 80ft. While I've never done it nor would I advocate for heights like this it is neither defacto 'safe' nor defacto 'suicide' by jumping from these heights. I suppose the key is whether or not you land feet first. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:50 AM, smokeybandit said:

Sounds like this one falls into the "doing something stupid" category of how to go overboard.

Probably trying to get a selfie, and probably 🍺🍷🍹involved..

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:30 PM, Tree_skier said:

There have been something like 30 deaths and many more injuries in Lynn Canyon from cliff jumping or from drowning in the waterfall pools in the last 20 years or so. People still flock to it every year though. 

On 6/28/2023 at 6:07 PM, Aquahound said:

You must have one of those conditions where you feel no pain because 30 years in the USCG and having entered the water a fair share amount of times from pretty good heights has taught me much different. Unless you are a skilled cliff diver, it is very unlikely to hit water, still or choppy, from 100 feet without feeling pain. Heck, 100 feet is even out of the range of most cliff divers. 

As a career USN officer, we always thought that you Coasties never strayed past the shallow water, which would mean that when you did enter the water, it was never more than 6 ft or so deep. And that would be very scary from any height at all. 😁

• Haha 2

On 6/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

he could've been crushed between the ship and the pier.  

Someone was a few years back, I think it was in Cozumel and he fell off a small boat next to the ship that was returning from an excursion.  It was posted on here.  

34 minutes ago, dizzyr said:

There have been something like 30 deaths and many more injuries in Lynn Canyon from cliff jumping or from drowning in the waterfall pools in the last 20 years or so. People still flock to it every year though. 

I was born in Vancouver but no longer live there anymore but did until 2016.  The injuries and death that I am familiar with up until that point almost all involved drugs or alcohol.  That being said, I'm not saying that it is without risk, I even had a close call one time further down the canyon right be the foot bridge, if you are familiar with the circuit that people travel down to jump off the cliffs. However, for the most part people do it very safely.  

Don't get me wrong, if my grandson wanted to go do it I'd probably tie him to a fence post.  My only point in bringing it up is in the context of this discussion that 100ft guarantees injury or death.  That isn't my experience. I'm not advocating risky behavior. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1