Koningsdam June 10-17 (2023) Alaska Review

cabland

I'd never thought about the aft pool deck differences, but the pictures make it clear!  I prefer the Vista and Signature Class ships to the Pinnacles for their smaller size, but the openness on the aft is another positive to add.

On 6/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, cabland said:

Here are a couple of pics that sort of illustrate what I described about the Aft of the Lido deck on the Koningsdam (Sunset pic) vs. Nieuw Amsterdam (sunny day pic).  Pics were not taken from the exact same angle, but close enough.

KO - Aft Lido.jpg

NA - Aft Lido.jpg

Cabland, where is the smoking area on Koningsdam? I know it’s in this area at the back, but is it port side or starboard? Are there table and chair seating or lounge type seating? On Nieuw Amsterdam it was starboard I believe, with chairs and tables. Thanks! Just trying to compare.

There are tables, chairs, couches and armchairs(patio furniture) on the aft deck 9. Plus Seaview Bar.Smoking side is starboard (side where the bar is). Loungers are around the pool, and extreme aft. Tables, chairs and couches are covered overhead.

9 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

There are tables, chairs, couches and armchairs(patio furniture) on the aft deck 9. Plus Seaview Bar.Smoking side is starboard (side where the bar is). Loungers are around the pool, and extreme aft. Tables, chairs and couches are covered overhead.

The location of the smoking area must vary, depending on the cruise.

When we were on the Hawaii/French Polynesia 35 day journey in February this year, the smoking section was on the port side, which left few tables for eating breakfast outside for non smokers. The set up has many more tables and the serving staff  on the port side.

@cabland....so sorry about your knee situation.  Take it from me, at 56 you are not too young to have TKR.  I just had it last November at 70.  Recovery will be quicker the younger you are so if it is an option suggest you carve out the 6 months to a year recover time and go for it.  IMO the two most important things are 1)the right surgeon 2)the right PT.

I suffered with a bump knee for many years before being "ready" for the major surgery.  Now 7 months PO no regrets but it is no picnic in the park for sure.

Really enjoyed your review, HAL is our favorite "go to" line these days for sure, love the live entertainment.

Susan

Thanks for a very "unboring" post. We LOVE AK and never tire of the pictures, so thanks for sharing.

Hope your knee issue is resolved soon.

One note, we LOVED breakfast in the PG, one of favorite memories of being in a Neptune Suite. Perhaps next time, you'll consider it vs in-room breakfast. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, 57redbird said:

Were Putu & Aris your room stewards?  If so, tell them hello from the Larsens -- 7085 on the 35 day cruise.

It was actually Putu and Sunu - both great!  Putu kept me in ice for my knee...a Godsend!  I think he was headed home on the day we disembarked.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 6:37 PM, cabland said:

OK, this is already way too long and boring! 

Thank you, cabland! This wasn't too long OR boring. We are taking our first cruise (same route) on the Koningsdam in six weeks, so we really appreciated all your in-depth reviewing and insider knowledge. The photos were a wonderful addition. Glad the bum knee didn't prevent you from making the trip.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:37 PM, cabland said:

OK, this is already way too long and boring! 

...Alaska is, of course, the real star of an Alaskan cruise and did not disappoint!  Still, the cruise + Alaska experience is unique and one we really appreciated and one I think HAL does right.  I already miss it!

God Bless you if you read this far!

You are not serious, right, that this is long and boring? You're just wanting the pat on the back and accolades for sharing insight and awesome pictures, right?!

AK is absolutely a unique and amazing experience; we always "already" miss it before we're even off the ship.

Thanks for sharing, still hope your knee is better even though you're long winded and boring, lol!

57 minutes ago, NewCruiser-2023 said:

Thank you, cabland! This wasn't too long OR boring. We are taking our first cruise (same route) on the Koningsdam in six weeks, so we really appreciated all your in-depth reviewing and insider knowledge. The photos were a wonderful addition. Glad the bum knee didn't prevent you from making the trip.

Hope you consider doing a live review or at least a post review - would be interested in your thoughts of the Koningsdam and to see what I'm sure will be awesome pictures. 

We really enjoy the Grand Dutch Cafe on deck 3 - great coffee and snacks; they have some unique food items not available on other ships.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, loveandpeas said:

May I ask what you spent on your Skagway self tour? We booked an excursion to go to the suspension bridge but I love the idea of a car and go!

We booked an EV (Electric Vehicle) from these fine folks: https://www.klondikecars.com/ - Around $235 (worth every penny, especially in relation to the cost of other Alaska excursions).  However, there is also an Avis in town if Klondike is out of cars (as of today, they only have 3 EVs).

A few pics of our ride...

20230613_111309.jpg

20230613_152923.jpg

20230613_162157.jpg

20230613_170614.jpg

• Like 5

Wow what can I say.  I jumped back on CC to find more information about the Kongsingdam and Alaska, and I found you!  No it was NOT boring. Thank you for posting.  We have never sailed with HAL before or been to Alaska.  Soaking up information like a sponge. Couple of quick questions. 1. You talked about going through customs or immigration at boarding time.  Is this different because you start in Vancouver vs Seattle?  Going back and forth between a Seattle vs Vancouver Round trip.  2. What is this orange room or club, is it a speciality dining room?    3. Question about renting the car.   We have cruised many times and we have always booked our excursions not booked through the ship.  For some reason, I’m sure it’s just the unknown, but I’m more worried about doing this on our own.  Making it back to port in time.  Don’t want to be running down the pier.  Anyway, did you feel totally comfortable driving to the lake and back.  Would love to do more interior site seeing.  No desire for shop at Diamonds International!  Thank you once again for your great review.

On 7/9/2023 at 3:52 PM, afdds said:

Wow what can I say.  I jumped back on CC to find more information about the Kongsingdam and Alaska, and I found you!  No it was NOT boring. Thank you for posting.  We have never sailed with HAL before or been to Alaska.  Soaking up information like a sponge. Couple of quick questions. 1. You talked about going through customs or immigration at boarding time.  Is this different because you start in Vancouver vs Seattle?  Going back and forth between a Seattle vs Vancouver Round trip.  2. What is this orange room or club, is it a speciality dining room?    3. Question about renting the car.   We have cruised many times and we have always booked our excursions not booked through the ship.  For some reason, I’m sure it’s just the unknown, but I’m more worried about doing this on our own.  Making it back to port in time.  Don’t want to be running down the pier.  Anyway, did you feel totally comfortable driving to the lake and back.  Would love to do more interior site seeing.  No desire for shop at Diamonds International!  Thank you once again for your great review.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but others are more knowledgeable (or there are dedicated posts on some of these topics:

1. Customs/Immigration - When you leave out of Vancouver (i.e. Canada) you then head to Alaska.  Instead of going through U.S. Customs at your first Alaskan port, you actually go through at the cruise port (aka Canada Place) there in Vancouver.  If you leave from Seattle, you don't do that...BUT you do generally go to Victoria, BC for Seattle cruises so I'm not sure how CANADIAN customs are handled for that.

2. Club Orange - There are lots of posts here on the board just for Club Orange.  Essentially though it is a group of perks that HAL lets you buy at the time of booking (I think you can even get it post-booking).  It includes things like priority board, a tote bag, special line at guest services maybe, etc.  However, the two "big" benefits are that you can get a cabin upgrade to the next class (when available) - like a VB balcony to a VA, etc. - AND you get access to the special "Club Orange" dining room on the boat (Pinnacle class ships only) or Club Orange "only" dinner selections in the main dining room.  Unfortunately, we never took advantage of any of it!  We already had a Neptune suite so no cabin upgrade (often considered the biggest benefit) for us.  In the future, I would try the dining room as others have reported good things about it.

3. Rental Car - I have ZERO reservations about the rental car.  It was a piece of cake.  Many of the official excursions do the same trip (train/bus combo or van up/back, etc.).  It is about 140 miles round trip and we were back at the ship in PLENTY of time.  I think we left the rental place around 10:15 or so.  We were at Emerald Lake by 3:00 or 3:30 and that was after we stopped for Lunch in Carcross (note: we stopped a ton along the way, did the suspension bridge, etc.).  Back before 6:00 PM if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 12:48 AM, MisterMatthew said:

Taking time to snap photos of your rental car... very kind of you.  And, the scenery is WONDERFUL!

Well done.

----MisterMatthew

What can I say....I'm a "car guy"!

On 7/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, cabland said:

What can I say....I'm a "car guy"!

I have an Ioniq myself - love the car. And I LOVE the photos with the scenery! I will keep this in mind for a future family excursion, pretty good deal honestly.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved your review and pix 

re your knee been there done that ...I had knee surgery last October.....total knee replacement .... but was able to walk better by March went with my son and friend to Southern Caribbean ...walked slowly at first ...all over 

I found using Icy Hot with lidocaine helped a lot ..the roll on and cream ...I could only find it in US , icing of course plus I took Tylenol arthritis and arthroteck ...I found it better than naproxen or celebrex ask your md 

even asked docs to prescribe in hospital after surgery ....they were not familiar with it ...It's the only med that helped inflammation ..I knew about it from past back injury 

plus I bought accumassage flip flops they stimulate circulation and promote healing ...I still wear them every day esp if feet are swollen ..Adidas and Nike sell them ....Amazon too .....they hurt at first ...but eventually they do help .I swear by them 

in hospital my feet were muffins that deflated using them 

at first walk 10-15 minutes ...as you get used to them they will help 

this summer did Baltics and Norwegian fjords ...walked for miles even if left knee not 100% yet but it behaved ...In skjolden walked 6 miles ...yes very tiring but legs held fine did need big rest after 

good luck hope knees heal fast ...I have to wait till God knows when for my left knee surgery but it's mostly behaving so I won't complain 

• Like 1