HELP!!! Can I purchase a cruise that begins in Canada if I live in the US?

CruisinMissMolly

Hello!

I just have two questions...

1.  Can I purchase a cruise that starts and ends in Vancouver, Canada if I live in Oregon?

2.  On a "Drop and Go" last minute deal, I tried to sign up but it didn't say anything about drink packages, WIFI, or crew appreciation. Does that mean that last minute deals don't include those amenities? 

Thank you for your help!!!  

Are you looking on the Princess website under the Drop & Go listings?  Near the top of the screen, there should be an option to Select Princess Plus that will give you the drinks package, Wi-Fi, etc.

IMG_1614.jpeg

• Like 2

Miss Molly, you can live in the USA and purchase a cruise that leaves from almost any other country in the world!! (Although these days Russia is off-limits, and I think there are a few cruise lines in China that cater just to Chinese passengers.)

• Like 1

That is wonderful to know!  Thank you, LibertyBella!

Just to confirm...  We would drive to the Canadian border and park our car in Vancouver, Canada?  Will Princess give me the information needed to find the cruise parking terminal?  I haven't had much luck getting information from Princess customer service so I'm a bit nervous.

9 minutes ago, CruisinMissMolly said:

Just to confirm...  We would drive to the Canadian border and park our car in Vancouver, Canada?  Will Princess give me the information needed to find the cruise parking terminal?  I haven't had much luck getting information from Princess customer service so I'm a bit nervous.

The cruise port information will be in your personalizer.

If you click on the departure port, you will get information like I get for my upcoming cruise (details deleted to save space)

San Francisco, CA, USA - General Information

Port Details

Port Address

Luggage Handling

Distance and Taxi Information

Directions to Port / Driving Directions

Parking Information

Edited by damiross
save space
  • Like 1

Be sure to have a valid passport if you are driving over the border.  

It will be "cheaper" to purchase the plus beverage package on day one.  If pre-purchased, it will cost you extra (maybe insurance, taxes, fees???).

Canada Place (where the ship docks) is in a highly populated area and parking may cost a premium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinMissMolly said:

Hello!

1.  Can I purchase a cruise that starts and ends in Vancouver, Canada if I live in Oregon?

2.  On a "Drop and Go" last minute deal, I tried to sign up but it didn't say anything about drink packages, WIFI, or crew appreciation. Does that mean that last minute deals don't include those amenities? 

We've done Vancouver to Vancouver RT California Coastal before.  It is just as simple as getting in your car, driving to Vancouver, parking the car someplace, and getting on the ship.  You MUST have a passport or passport card, but you'll be better served if you have both.  The passport card is very convenient for driving across the border at Blaine, less so entering Canada, but more so re-entering the U.S as there are sensors at the U.S. crossing that read the passport card prior to getting to the booth.  Streamlines reentry quite a bit.  I recommend having a conventional passport when cruising.  If you have an emergency and need to fly back home, the passport card isn't allowed for international entry when flying.

I'd recommend finding a hotel/motel with a park and fly or park and cruise option.  The hotel really doesn't care if you are flying or cruising, you are paying them extra to park the car with them while you are away.  Last time we did a Vancouver RT we stayed a couple of nights before the cruise at the Accent Inn Vancouver Airport, which is located on the east side of the highway to Vancouver.  We found their prices competitive and they have clean, generously sized rooms.  They are located in a commercial area that blends to residential quite quickly, so we felt very safe leaving the car with them.

We used a taxi to get to Canada Place on embarkation morning.  The front desk at the hotel will call you a cab.  If you want to stay in Vancouver proper, closer to Canada Place, you'll pay more, sometimes a lot more for lodging and vehicle parking.  That is why we stayed in the suburbs.  If you hail taxis in Vancouver make sure they accept plastic for payment before you get in.  All of them should, but some drivers get snippy if they have to run plastic because it means they can't pocket the entire fare or have to report the income.  Getting Uber and Lyft into Canada has been difficult, Uber and Lyft were not operating in Vancouver when we visited, but that might have changed.  That was many years ago.

As for Princess Plus/Premier, it is my understanding that you can purchase those on board now, on liek the first or 2nd day.  You may want to consider that as an option, also.

13 hours ago, CruisinMissMolly said:

We live in Washington state and have driven to Vancouver, BC many times to board a ship. Last September, we drove there the day before the cruise and ended up parking our car a t a different hotel than where we stayed. Be very careful in selecting your hotel if you drive up a day ahead.

Parking at the port can be booked online. I do not think Princess is a good resource for parking.

Here are some links. Be careful, because I think they only allow 7 days. This was an issue for us as our cruise was 12 nights. BTW- it took us about 40 minutes to get across the border.

https://impark.com/vancouver/canada-place-parking/

https://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/underground/canada_place_indigo_lot_034/v6c/vancouver/?arriving=202306271030&leaving=202306271230

Edited by nini
correction

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It will be "cheaper" to purchase the plus beverage package on day one.  If pre-purchased, it will cost you extra (maybe insurance, taxes, fees???).

Better off purchasing the full "plus package", not just the plus beverage package. It will include grats and wifi, and a few other perks that may or may not be useful.  And the price as of now is $60 a day per person, regardless of pre-purchase or onboard. Only way you might see an increase is in insurance cost if through the cruise line. I am not sure if the package part is refundable if cancelled and you have purchased insurance through an outside agency. Pre-purchasing through an on-line TA or other TA may give you additional perks or onboard credit due to the increased cost pre-cruise.. Benefit to purchasing onboard is being able to use OBC.

14 hours ago, jeromep said:

Uber and Lyft were not operating in Vancouver when we visited, but that might have changed.

Uber was operating in Vancouver when I was there early this month. No information on Lyft.

43 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Uber was operating in Vancouver when I was there early this month. No information on Lyft.

That is welcome news.  I haven't been to Vancouver for at least 6 years.

19 hours ago, CruisinMissMolly said:

Hello!

you can book any cruise.  The Drop & Go" deals are just the regular pricing

18 hours ago, CruisinMissMolly said:

If your going to park your car at the cruiseship terminal, book in advance as it can fill up.  It's also expensive.

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Be sure to have a valid passport if you are driving over the border.  

Canada Place (where the ship docks) is in a highly populated area and parking may cost a premium.

if you add the Princess Plus or Premier pkg to your booking  the only extra cost is the pkg price.

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Better off purchasing the full "plus package", not just the plus beverage package. It will include grats and wifi, and a few other perks that may or may not be useful.  And the price as of now is $60 a day per person, regardless of pre-purchase or onboard. Only way you might see an increase is in insurance cost if through the cruise line. I am not sure if the package part is refundable if cancelled and you have purchased insurance through an outside agency. Pre-purchasing through an on-line TA or other TA may give you additional perks or onboard credit due to the increased cost pre-cruise.. Benefit to purchasing onboard is being able to use OBC.

Uber and Lyft are readily available in Vancouver and surrounding areas

• Like 1

I live in Australia, I have been on cruises that started in US, South America, Mediterranean, UK, Northern Europe et al.  You just need to get there.  
August cruise from New York includes 30 hours of flying time with a 10 hour stopover. Ugh.

I cruised Alaska last month out of Vancouver. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is on the Canada Place pier. I flew in so didn't park a car but they do have parking available in some packages designed specifically for cruisers. You will not need transportation to the ship since you're steps away from the embarkation area which is a savings. Also they will take your luggage to the ship on the morning of embarkation. It's super convenient but slightly expensive to stay there. Remember when you see their prices in Canadian dollars that our dollar is stronger and the exchange rate is significant in our favor. 

39 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Remember when you see their prices in Canadian dollars that our dollar is stronger and the exchange rate is significant in our favor.

Stayed there last month also pre-cruise. American booking sites will have their rates in USD, not CA.