Live from Reflection June 29th BCN

MarkusToe

I suggest you discuss fish allergies with maitre d,..they are usually very careful! And we always ask if any lobster  has been near dh food!

We did not care for the Reflection layout ( sep of Spa level from

The solarium and the big horshoe bar aft..) so for us it was a one and done. But it was the newer S Class ship..surprised it vibrates

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

Have they issued oars yet ? 

only kidding 😁

The PR department is working on an announcement to read as follows." Now Included at No Extra Charge (It's For your Convenience) a Free Massage" no extra Gratuity will be added for this ship wide perk!.........😘

• Haha 2

Had a good sleep, may be we are used to the vibration now 😀

Got a wake up call from engine room at 5:45 AM but only short...as usual for a wake up.....

Ship is empty today, all at rome....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

On the way to Rome (Cic..... can't remember it) speed 18.8knt.

Medium vibration....not as strong as first night but clearly bad....., we'll see how we will sleep.

Dinner at Blue.

Issue with the menue there: not mention fish or gluten in the menue. MDR has sign on every dish.

So its allone with the waiter...

Today our fish allergic got a soup having clams in. That was not mentioned as ingredient at the menue....

I'm beginning to wonder if cruising is really for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Today our fish allergic got a soup having clams in. That was not mentioned as ingredient at the menue....

First, have you discussed the allergies with the server? AND did you specify that "fish allergic" included shellfish? Those are not always one and the same - I know people who are allergic to fish but can eat shellfish and the other way around. And you can always ask what is in a dish if you don't know. While the server should know and steer away if a dish contains an allergen for a person, if that discussion has not been complete (as in my example - the person is fish AND shellfish, but you only told the server fish), they won't know.

Second, if allergies have been discussed thoroughly and accurately (as in "fish means shellfish as well") with the server, then it is time to speak with the maitre'd about it. If they have been discussed thoroughly and accurately in advance with the server and the server is allowing you to order things with the allergen, that needs to be brought to management's attention immediately.

• Like 3

All was known at blu and we thought this was a seefood free version, as it was not mentioned on the menue and the waiter did say nothing....day before he stopped a ordering saying here is seafood in.

Yesterday resulted in stomic pain, but nothing seriously. 

7 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

All was known at blu and we thought this was a seefood free version, as it was not mentioned on the menue and the waiter did say nothing....day before he stopped a ordering saying here is seafood in.

Yesterday resulted in stomic pain, but nothing seriously. 

So you need to speak with the maitre'd - and possibly the hotel director.

But again, seafood/fish and shellfish are considered 2 different types of allergens. If the party had only said "seafood" and not "shellfish" that could be the reason. To my mind, there should have been clarification, but if the discussion had insisted "just seafood" then perhaps. Any time there are language differences (as there almost always are with servers on ships), I'm very specific so they know exactly what I can and can't have (I cannot have peanuts, but almonds are perfectly fine for me).

I will say, this is one area where Disney far exceeds any other line I've been on. Any order I make has to be checked by the head server to ensure that a server hasn't overlooked an ingredient in a dish. That double checking may seem like a pain, but it saves a lot of issues in the long run.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Its all known by Fazli (blu maitre), as he speaks german and our friend is not so good in englisch....

In the end, all good, nothing seriously happened....

I'm glad nothing serious happened, but it should still be brought to the attention of the maitre'd so that all servers and assistant servers can be reminded to be vigilant about allergies - and if they are unsure they should be able to ask him/her if a dish is safe for a certain allergy. Because someone else may have anaphylaxis and not just get a stomach ache.

I know when I was on the Edge in Feb 2020 in one of the MDRs there were 2 pork dishes...one had gluten and one did not. I ordered the one that did not, but my server brought the one that did. I caught it before taking a bite and the head server immediately got me the other one that was safe for me - and told the server to be VERY careful in what dish they were picking up and to ask for clarification if they were not sure.

Hi - Thanks for all the great information! I’m sailing on the Reflection at the end of July. Are the Peloton bikes in the fitness center in service? I ask because Peloton had a massive recall due to a seat issue and many hotels have placed their bikes out of service until they receive replacement parts.

Thanks again!

We disembarked the Reflection on June 10th. Our cabin was midship as well, 2161, so 1 deck up, same side and a just a few cabins forward. We've sailed with Celebrity 45 times and have NEVER felt a vibration like the first 2 nights out of Barcelona. (My husband joked it felt like a cheap motel bed you put quarters in... ummm, not sure how he knew that! 😆) It was truly difficult to sleep. 

Some other passengers we spoke with didn't feel it so maybe it is a midship, port side, speed issue? Once we had less distance to travel between ports therefore the speed was reduced, no problem, it felt like normal ship movement.

If you are booked in that area I'd suggest you attempt to move cabins unless you are a very sound sleeper. 

MarkusToe, I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise. We had a lovely time despite the issue. 

Edited by 3girlsmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, boykin said:

How has the wifi been on the ship, any need to upgrade?  We will be sailing on the 17th!

WiFi works, but no pictures, nothing non text. Webpage search works. Next time i'll take the upgrade for one device...

9 hours ago, Jash7 said:

Hi - Thanks for all the great information! I’m sailing on the Reflection at the end of July. Are the Peloton bikes in the fitness center in service? I ask because Peloton had a massive recall due to a seat issue and many hotels have placed their bikes out of service until they receive replacement parts.

Thanks again!

Looks like there are normal spinning bikes 

The last nights where very little to normal vibration...., exept early in the morning.

We call it wake up call now.... 😀

May be they have a problem switching from Oil to marine diesel..

Timing would fit....

Today we'll meet the sen officers,  May be they will tell....

• Thanks 1

Today lobster night....at Blu as much as you want, in MDR one the next 15US.

+1 had lobster...

I've had Filet Mignon and backed Onion Soup...

Today Napoli, so you have to go to Pomeii

Be aware, in case not excursion from the ship booked.

There is a shuttle bus,  direct in front of the ship...., we havn' t realised this is a shuttle and walked all the way out of the harbor.  About 30 min....

Booked get your guide tix for the historical side incl Audio guide.

Forget the audio crap....Do not work at all.

You have to search a number in a map and play the audio then.... problem is, the number within the map do not fit the numbers you find at the site. 

As long as they do not offer GPS tracked guides,  waste if money.

Additionally, > 30 deg C and full sun..., long time ago we havn't sweat so much...

20230706_211937.jpg

20230706_210039.jpg

20230706_210520.jpg

20230706_211946.jpg

• Like 1

Spoken to the head of engineering this evening about the vibration. 

No comment on the first 2 days.

The early morning vibration: they have to switch on a recovery machine upfront they enter port.

This engine is based midship and may cause vibration....

That was the explenation given

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkusToe said:

Spoken to the head of engineering this evening about the vibration. 

No comment on the first 2 days.

The early morning vibration: they have to switch on a recovery machine upfront they enter port.

This engine is based midship and may cause vibration....

That was the explenation given

Thank you for that But what is a Recovery machine?

and it's upfront? But the engine is based midship?

Almost sounds like BS to give you and answer without giving you an answer?

The bow thrusters always cause a lot of vibration and that's to be expected.

Very quite night. No vibration.

Looks like expenation given is right.

They start something about 2h before port.

Seeday and chairhog day today.

Seen a lady reserving 10 in a row.

I've asked her, after report to poolguy, if she know if one deckchair is in use... ohh my goodness, all words I'm not willing to write here shouted....

But for herself sheed need 2, one in shade and one in the sun....

The crew is not allowed to remove  personal stuff, the pool guy told me. They do not put an notification on blocked deckchair, the wind would blow away.

Thats what ive seen different on other lines.

• Thanks 2