Pre-boarding safety video emails, please stop!

frayedend

24 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

NCL pumping up the vibe for your upcoming cruise for sure :classic_biggrin:

LOL, are they pumping up the vibe or warning me.  "You need to watch this safety video.  No really, you need to watch.  We mean it this time.  Safety Video.  Watch It."  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, frayedend said:

@omahabob, thanks!  It was really a lighthearted gripe post.  I wasn't really that upset, just making a point and engaging folks on here because, well, that's why we read message boards.

@MoCruiseFan Thanks so much.  I didn't know about that feature. Now to delete the eleventy billion emails in my inbox.  Appreciate it.

Some people in this thread took it way too seriously 😂

• Like 2

All these people griping about safety videos (I know, it's light-hearted) means they're about to get on a cruise ship. And, I'm not. Boohoo, woe is me! I want to go on a cruise. If I watch the video 63 times for you, can I take your place on the cruise? I'm willing to take the torture on your behalf! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, frayedend said:

You said it was strange to have a post like that.  If you didn't assume I saw the post about communications issues, then why was my post strange?  Did you assume I was making it up.  

I said it was strange to have a post complaining about too much communication shortly after another thread complained about poor communication. It wasn't directed at you or your post specifically. In fact, I didn't even quote or reference your post. Never said your post was strange, never said you were making it up. There you go again arguing things that were never said.

17 hours ago, frayedend said:

The problem is that I just made a post and you are the type to put down that post because you feel it wasn't warranted.  This is the reason I pretty much left a lot of these types of boards. 

I'm the type? Seriously? Are you down to personal attacks now? Sheesh. I could just as easily say that YOU are putting my post down because YOU feel it wasn't warranted. Why it is OK for you to do this, but not for me?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

They can send me a dozen e-mails if they want to, as long as I don't have to do the in person muster drill, I'm good!

My cruise back at the end of March into April.  Not only did I get the video link a half a dozen times, but I also had to do the in person muster drill.  It was just before they went back to just the video.  We were all laughing about it in the roll call and hoping it was a sign they were starting a week early with no in person drills.  No such luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WickedRed said:

My cruise back at the end of March into April.  Not only did I get the video link a half a dozen times, but I also had to do the in person muster drill.  It was just before they went back to just the video.  We were all laughing about it in the roll call and hoping it was a sign they were starting a week early with no in person drills.  No such luck. 

Oh no.  That was definitely a double whammy!  I'm glad they finally did go back to the virtual drills.

14 hours ago, omahabob said:

Because repeat crap is much more irritating than original crap. Some of us don't get all that crap in our inboxes, and would like to keep it that way. Just because you put up with crap doesn't mean other people want to. And it wasn't dramatic, though you seem to be tipping it that way.

Lighten up Francis.  It was just a suggestion.🤣

7 hours ago, Agent999 said:

I said it was strange to have a post complaining about too much communication shortly after another thread complained about poor communication. It wasn't directed at you or your post specifically. In fact, I didn't even quote or reference your post. Never said your post was strange, never said you were making it up. There you go again arguing things that were never said.

Sending the same message eight, nine, ten times doesn't improve communications.  In fact, that degrades communications since it encourages passengers to ignore other communications.  Kind of a 'cry wolf' thing.

• Thanks 1

Hi frayedend - don't worry, that does sound annoying and most people on here are going to see it as a light complaint. Not one worthy of a cheerleader pile-on.

I mean, yes "my goodness" is borderline foul mouthed, and "bad algorithm" is getting pretty close to slander. (Slander, I tell you, slander!!!) And wow, now that I re-read your original post it is obvious that you come here with baggage and indoctrination from other posts simply to smear and poison the good name of Norwegian Cruise Lines! How dare you!!! Do you not know you are not to take the name of NCL in vain, or face the guardians of the Company!

There is no such thing as posting a comment to indicate a mild issue, there is only full-blown conspiracy against the company, and protectors who can get as personal as they wish. (But don't you dare think you have the same rights of free speech, you don't and they will whine from now and forever if you talk to them the way they talk to you. They are the only ones allowed personal attacks, because they are so much smarter and evolved and compassionate an... (sorry, just threw up a little in my mouth.))

But just know your place, recognize that anything that might be the tiniest bit critical of the beloved Company could result in cannon fire, and never dare to post a pessimistic view and you'll be fine. 

Or you could just look at who gets likes and ignore these nattering nabobs of negativism. The vast majority of people recognize a (very) light vent when we see one. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

And when you get to your cabin you have to watch it again on your tv, before you can change the channel. 🤣😁

I wish they'd just lock my TV on that channel to be honest.  Love those 7 short blasts followed by one long blast.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, chillyw said:

I wish they'd just lock my TV on that channel to be honest.  Love those 7 short blasts followed by one long blast.

My DW always needs dumb tv to fall asleep at night. I wonder if just keeping it on that would work. 🤣

• Haha 3

I was on one of the cruises that was a part of the nearly year long cancellation of port stops in the Dominican Republic.  NCL cancelled the DR, and the morning of Antigua on my sailing in December, but some of the passengers on the roll calls reported not receiving the emails confirming these cancellations.  Because NCL left the original itinerary on their website for the following month, and passengers that called the NCL call center employees were told that the original itinerary hadn't been changed there was a lot of confusion among passengers on my sailing.  It was pretty frustrating to get email blast after email blast about the safety video, especially since I had to run it 5 times to check everyone in my family in to the cruise when I knew some of the passengers on my cruise weren't going to realize the itinerary change on our sailing changed until they checked in.  

Edited by kitkat343

40 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I wish they would finally do away with the video muster drill and go back to the in person drills on the ship.

Yes, safety should count. Anyone thinking otherwise should consider the corners cut in the recent submersible disaster because they felt no need to be certified. They felt that safety standards got in the way of innovation. 

• Like 1

The video meets the safety standards. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use it. The real question is, is that really good enough, and are the standards too lax in allowing it? I'd personally rather do the video. But I'm more diligent in paying attention to those things than most people. I study the safety cards and identify all my emergency exits on airplanes too. But considering how many people aren't that diligent, I can certainly see the argument for going back to in person drills. They also give you practice helping others, which will undoubtedly be necessary, and a video can't teach that well.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, safety should count. Anyone thinking otherwise should consider the corners cut in the recent submersible disaster because they felt no need to be certified. They felt that safety standards got in the way of innovation. 

Please describe the muster drill that would have saved lives in the Titan disaster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I wish they would finally do away with the video muster drill and go back to the in person drills on the ship.

Feel free to conduct  your own in person safety drill.   Just go stand by the lifeboats for 30 minutes and then watch the video on your cell phone.  Of course you should turn the audio off on the cell phone to simulate how poorly you can hear at the lifeboats.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Please describe the muster drill that would have saved lives in the Titan disaster.

I was not specifically referring to a muster drill when I mentioned the Titan submersible disaster. What I was referring to was in general cutting corners and disregarding safety measures. When one does that, a disaster should not be a big surprise.

• Like 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

I was not specifically referring to a muster drill when I mentioned the Titan submersible disaster. What I was referring to was in general cutting corners and disregarding safety measures. When one does that, a disaster should not be a big surprise.

That is true in general but no one has established that the emuster cuts corners or disregards safety measures.  We've been over this before.  RCCI and Carnival, IIRC, both determined the emuster was superior in terms of safety to the inperson muster.  NCL preferred the inperson muster because it saved costs.  The only conclusion that can be drawn is the only line cutting corners and disregarding safety in the interest of cost savings were the lined who prefered the inperson muster.