Glass blowing demo on Celebrity

Szt

Has anyone done the glass blowing demo on Celebrity? What kind of pieces do guest make? Do they come out looking good? When are these classes offered? I assume on as sea days. I'd like to hear from someone who has done it. 

I've never made anything myself but have enjoyed watching.  The staff do a lot to help so the pieces really do turn out well.  Here is a short video from our Eclipse cruise in May.

• Thanks 2

Looking back at my daily schedules from this past May, it looks like there's Hot Glass Class options on sea days from 9AM to 1PM and then again from 2PM to 6PM. On our port days, Grand Cayman and Bonaire, it was 4PM to 9PM after we'd left port. Aruba was only 9AM to 11AM since we arrived in port at 11AM. None scheduled for Curacao day since we were docked there all day. I'd suggest purchasing during a pre-cruise sale. Then we visited the studio on embarkation day to sign up for a time slot for our session. Everyone is welcome to come watch someone else's lesson or to watch the demonstrations put on by the artists. 

Check out my photo review of our step by step experience.

27 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

How much does it cost if you wish to make something?  How long is the class?  Can you pick the object you want to make? Is there a minimum age to participate?

The Hot Glass class is showing in my planner for $114 per person (Christmas 2023, Solstice) which is pretty amazing to me since it cost me $59 per person during our Christmas 2019 cruise on Solstice. 

Your session lasts about 45 minutes.  You do get to pick out what you want to make.  The charge for the class covers some of the item(s) and you have to pay a surcharge for the more expensive pieces.  Here is a photo of what pieces were available to be made at a particular price (Dec 2019, Solstice).

image.png.d1b1e19289480045582aaef967b6161c.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6341983344c060c0fd8d217

image.thumb.jpeg.cfbbb341747e6c374ed32e2

2 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

$114 vs $59?  Inflation or gouging????  Wonder if a 5% CC discount can be applied?

Yes, the Captains Club 5% discount can be applied against the normal priced Hot Glass class.  The $114 price I quoted does not have that discount applied.  The $59 price did not have the 5% discount figured into it either.  Hopefully the doubling of price results in the inclusion of more glass pieces that can be made without an additional surcharge.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:39 PM, jelayne said:

It isn’t a demo.  You can sit and watch but if you book a session you work with a glass artist and make a piece which you take home.

You are correct that this is no longer a 'demo' or class.  That used to be the case when the program first came out.  We used to stay there for hours as the staff would make these elaborate items.  Now it appears to be a revenue generator.  

When X launched Solstice Class. The glassblowing was done by Corning of New York. At some point X change to Hollywood Hot Glass. With Corning you just watched and it was free. Now guest can make glass pieces for a fee and people can watch for free. I think it is a win win.

7 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

When X launched Solstice Class. The glassblowing was done by Corning of New York. At some point X change to Hollywood Hot Glass. With Corning you just watched and it was free. Now guest can make glass pieces for a fee and people can watch for free. I think it is a win win.

When Corning Museum of Glass ran the Hot Glass at Sea venue, they did wonderful demos and they also offered classes--like today.  They also did this (and still do) at Corning called Make Your Own Glass

CMOG, of course, also runs "real" intensive classes in Corning.  When we talked to one of the Hollywood Hot Glass employees during our last cruise on Solstice in 2019, he took classes and interned at CMOG.

CMOG's website still has the old Hot Glass at Sea webpage although the Celebrity ship they have pictured is Silhouette which (everyone knows) did not have the venue.

• Thanks 1