Why No ice buckets on Carnival Venezia

phoneman69

Just returned from an 8 day sailing aboard Venezia. 1st Day asked room steward for ice to have in room. Told no ice buckets and he did not provide ice to the room. A Carnival cut back or just this ship ? Sail Celebration in Sept. Hope ice available on that ship. Every thing else on this cruise was awesome. The kids felt like the 2 pools were to small but what are you going to do.

Carnival apparently had to make a careful assessment of where they could contain costs once they returned to business after the long pandemic period of maintaining ships minus revenue. My guess is that a small enough number of people still used ice in their cabins pre-pandemic—a custom held over from the days when cabins did not all have a mini-fridge to keep beverages cool—that they decided it could be discontinued with minimal effect on passengers’ comfort.

I too just returned from sailing on Venezia, and was disappointed that we could no longer leave a room service order for breakfast coffee on our doorknob the night before, but I knew of the change, so we brought insulated mugs and my early-rising husband threw on some clothes and brought back coffee from the Lido to enjoy on our balcony.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was on 6/19-6/27 cruise. Asked steward on day one for ice and he had a filled ice bucket in my cabin every day by Noon. I also brought down cups filled with ice from buffet as back ups lol. Was very happy the fridge on Venezia was actually COLD! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

its mostly likely a cutback because no uses the ice bucket, the ice sits in the buckets and melts never being used thus causing a waste of resources

For the longest time, the stewards will only bring ice upon request, thus cutting down what you pointed out above. If you look at the post above yours, Crusin Karen was able to get ice, no problem. :classic_cool:

We were on 6/19 Venezia sailing. Asked cabin steward for ice bucket and had one that was always filled with ice. Just ask for an ice bucket. We have had to ask on other cruises and had one show up with no problems. 

• Like 1

Don't have the original post to share, but someone on the "maiden" (quotes due to it not really being the maiden voyage given Venezia previously sailed under another brand) TA cruise, posted this picture of ice being delivered in plastic bags left on trays in the hallway (liked a dirty room service tray waiting for pick-up).

So long as the bags are sealed, I can live with this if it's the answer, but it's not my preferred way to get ice. And yes I need my ice.

4 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Just returned from an 8 day sailing aboard Venezia. 1st Day asked room steward for ice to have in room. Told no ice buckets and he did not provide ice to the room...

@phoneman69 reports not being able to get ice delivered - with or without a bucket.

Can anyone definitively confirm the State of Ice on Venezia? Picture was June 7.

Screenshot_20230607-204217_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Added text
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

Last three cruises (in last year) on Sunshine and MG, ice request no problem.  Will be on Sunshine in a month and MG again in December this year and have not heard anything negative about ice requests on either ship.  We actually like calling the night before or same morning (I am up early) for pre breakfast items and carafe of coffee.  That way there are no issues with the rug rats running the ship after 11 pm each night and pulling the breakfast cards off the door knobs and ditching them.  🙄

I read the ice issue was specific to Venezia because of the lack of, or limited number of, ice machines that were on it when it transferred over to Carnival; they were being installed as part of the dry dock refurb and were either not in place yet or didn't work properly.

If I can call early AM for pre-breakfast coffee so long as there's not a huge delay in getting it - kinda defeats the purpose of ordering night before and rolling out of bed to receive it from room service delivery person if I have to actually wake up and be coherent, lol. 🤭If that's what I have to do to protect it from the "charming little rugrats" 🥴 then so be it. Where are the Hall Monitors when you need them. I miss HAL already...😪

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, TravelBluebird said:

That’s so odd—we had ice delivered every day, in an ice bucket, on our Carnival Venezia maiden voyage cruise. Perhaps because we were in a Terrazza Cabana?

Maybe, if so, congrats!!. Certainly several different experiences reported - ranging from no ice, to no ice buckets, to no issues.

I have found that if I keep the ice bucket in the refrigerator, not only will the ice last much longer, but the refrigerator stays much colder.  One downside is that it takes up some of the space in an already small refrigerator.  If they don't have ice buckets, as some people have said, you could always get a few cups of ice from the buffet and keep them in the refrigerator.  Or you could bring some Ziplock freezer bags to fill with ice and keep them in the refrigerator. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

...Or you could bring some Ziplock freezer bags to fill with ice and keep them in the refrigerator. 

Or in the hallway, lol.

Good idea - we will definitely bring zip bags, they won't take up any room so if we don't need them, no big deal.

We ordered ice from room service on the Celebration back in May and it came in a plastic bag but they did not bring a bucket. We put it in the fridge and figured we would ask the steward when we saw him for one. Well we forgot and a few days later when we remembered, we had a nice bag of water in the fridge. No leaks so it does seal well. 😁

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

That’s so odd—we had ice delivered every day, in an ice bucket, on our Carnival Venezia maiden voyage cruise. Perhaps because we were in a Terrazza Cabana?

We were also in a Terrazza Cabana on the TA and had an ice bucket that was refilled every day.  Some friends onboard didn't have ice buckets, so I asked my cabin steward why, and he said it was just for suites and the Terrazza area.  Hope they have rectified that by now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

No ice bucket-Deal breaker! Not for us, we don't make drinks in the cabin so there is no need for an ice bucket. It is just a mess maker.

My sister who is my cabin mate for this cruise, keeps her Yeti mug filled full all day, every day with ice and any room left is Diet Coke. I don't know which is more important  - the ice or the soda, lol.

We usually get a 2nd bucket and ask for ice 2x day. So I guess we'll be coming to get yours @Purvis1231 🥸

plastic zip bags I think will be a good solution.

Now to research if this is a Coke line or Pepsi, she gets grumpy when it's the blue one. And those are not as easy to pack as zip bags.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

8 hours ago, mar214 said:

We were on 6/19 Venezia sailing. Asked cabin steward for ice bucket and had one that was always filled with ice. Just ask for an ice bucket. We have had to ask on other cruises and had one show up with no problems. 

Then whats the difference in cabin stewards? we where in room 7303 on Venezia and asked first day. Told NO ice buckets and he would not bring ice. we did have some tall travel mugs that we filled with ice on deck 10 and keep in fridge. What floor were you on mar214?

2 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

We were also in a Terrazza Cabana on the TA and had an ice bucket that was refilled every day.  Some friends onboard didn't have ice buckets, so I asked my cabin steward why, and he said it was just for suites and the Terrazza area.  Hope they have rectified that by now.

Now thats an answer i can live with Just Terrazza and suites

11 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Just returned from an 8 day sailing aboard Venezia. 1st Day asked room steward for ice to have in room. Told no ice buckets and he did not provide ice to the room. A Carnival cut back or just this ship ? Sail Celebration in Sept. Hope ice available on that ship. Every thing else on this cruise was awesome. The kids felt like the 2 pools were to small but what are you going to do.

3 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

Then whats the difference in cabin stewards? we where in room 7303 on Venezia and asked first day. Told NO ice buckets and he would not bring ice. we did have some tall travel mugs that we filled with ice on deck 10 and keep in fridge. What floor were you on mar214?

Maybe, being Told "NO ice buckets" and "he would not bring ice" was his secret code for "I'm just too lazy to get you one" and "I don't want to be bothered by having to refill it for you, but don't forget to tip me"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I was on deck 1 OV and had an ice bucket! 

We're deck 7, 2nd week only Terrazza. We don't go til Sept, so I'll continue to monitor and see how it goes. Will take zip bags so we can get our own ice if necessary. That's just such a strange thing to eliminate and no communication. Level setting expectations goes a long way toward customer satisfaction.

11 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We're deck 7, 2nd week only Terrazza. We don't go til Sept, so I'll continue to monitor and see how it goes. Will take zip bags so we can get our own ice if necessary. That's just such a strange thing to eliminate and no communication. Level setting expectations goes a long way toward customer satisfaction.

Good news is fridges were very cold-at least mine was. Actually partially froze some juice and soda I had in there. Every cruise I’ve been on I’ve had “room temperature” fridges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1