Fresh Crab Recommendations in Juneau or Icy Strait Point?

dalesyang

Anyone have any fresh crab recommendations in Juneau or Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)?

1) I heard Tracys Crab Shack in Juneau has frozen crab and it's salty.    

Anyone know of a place that has fresh crab?

Unless something has changed this summer there is indeed a crab shack at ISP.  It is located right beside the old tender dock.  Since dungeness is caught in that area look for fresh (not frozen) dungy.  I actually prefer dungy over king crab (which will always be frozen)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tlw said:

The Alaskan King Crab grounds are closed this year. Therefore, all the king crab you are getting in Alaska now are previously frozen. 

As the King crab seasons are fall into winter, wouldn't most cruisers miss fresh King crab anyway, even if they were catching it. So, it would be frozen no matter what?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Unless something has changed this summer there is indeed a crab shack at ISP.  It is located right beside the old tender dock.  Since dungeness is caught in that area look for fresh (not frozen) dungy.  I actually prefer dungy over king crab (which will always be frozen)

Totally agree, and I second that crab shack on the ISP dock.  At the newer docks, there's a crab shack attached to the Duck Point Smokehouse, which is right at the base of the gondola and zipline landing.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tlw said:

The Alaskan King Crab grounds are closed this year. Therefore, all the king crab you are getting in Alaska now are previously frozen. 

Thank you!
Good to know, ‘cuz they ain’t cheap and we can get them for “free” on the ship!!

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, ShorethingBob said:

How Crowded does Tracy's Get?  Are there other places to get Crab in Juneau?

Most days there will be a line out the door and a wait.  However you might find it is worthwhile.  Keep in mind that most if not all crab will be previously frozen. Tracy's has a 2nd location that is a little further in town but it is a food stand with outdoor seating as opposed to the restaurant.  

There are multiple places for crab in Juneau.  While I was researching I used a combo of Google maps (looked up Juneau cruise port) and then checked the restaurants I found on Yelp or TripAdvisor after checking their menu.  

On 7/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, CruiserBruce said:

As the King crab seasons are fall into winter, wouldn't most cruisers miss fresh King crab anyway, even if they were catching it. So, it would be frozen no matter what?

Which means that the :fresh" king crab you get in a place in AK will be no different that the fresh you get at any other restaurant in the entire US or even the entire world. The big difference is that the view outside of the restaurant is probably better than the view outside of the other restaurants.

DON

• Like 1