Solarium pool questions

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Not sure I understand your point about screaming in another language. Are you saying they were from another country?  Perhaps they  didn’t understand the signage?  

m

They understood.  They screamed and cursed in English and their native language. I don't remember the language it was about 12 yrs ago . Just remember the situation. We still kind of laugh about it because I can understand a seat or two. But when you go and save the ENTIRE row. No sorry there has to be some rules. We weren't the only ones looking at those seats. And we walked around and sat on the edge of the pool looking for a seat for a little over an hour. That's when we decided they weren't coming back soon.

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

They understood.  They screamed and cursed in English and their native language. I don't remember the language it was about 12 yrs ago . Just remember the situation. We still kind of laugh about it because I can understand a seat or two. But when you go and save the ENTIRE row. No sorry there has to be some rules. We weren't the only ones looking at those seats. And we walked around and sat on the edge of the pool looking for a seat for a little over an hour. That's when we decided they weren't coming back soon.

12 years ago?  I thought this was a recent experience.  

Nevermind.

M

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, crazyank said:

16 year olds are allowed in the solarium.  as for the others, why didn't you speak up?  we had this problem on Explorer back in May. Stopped by Guest services and the problem was fixed. 

My name isn’t Karen… they lifeguards was there I guess if they let it… on my next cruise I guess I can bring my 13 year old😜

12 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

We had the same issue on Liberty. The 20 something groups blasting music on their speakers above the piped in music in the hot tubs of the solarium and young kids throughout the seating areas of the solarium. I blame management for not policing the area and enforcing rules.

I agree. We should not need to speak up. 

9 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Sounds like a Carnival cruise 😧😧

I forgot someone also took a dump on the floor of the solarium a well - I actually thought someone was joking but sadly they were not, it was all over the floor!

8 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

My name isn’t Karen… they lifeguards was there I guess if they let it… on my next cruise I guess I can bring my 13 year old😜

I agree. We should not need to speak up. 

I forgot someone also took a dump on the floor of the solarium a well - I actually thought someone was joking but sadly they were not, it was all over the floor!

What? 🥺

On every cruise we go on I am always up and about first thing in the morning and head to the solarium to chill, listen to my book and have a coffee or two. I will stay there most of the morning and can honestly say have never been bothered by any kids (maybe lucky), however to be honest if I did I would seek a member of staff to point out its an adult area. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Roybthered said:

can honestly say have never been bothered by any kids (maybe lucky), however to be honest if I did I would seek a member of staff to point out its an adult area.

This. I never understood the "we shouldn't have to report it" thing. Of course in a perfect world you shouldn't have to, but at that point, I'd rather ask for a resolution than suffer through the disruption.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

This. I never understood the "we shouldn't have to report it" thing. Of course in a perfect world you shouldn't have to, but at that point, I'd rather ask for a resolution than suffer through the disruption.

Agree, a lot of things happen that don't effect you or have no impact upon you but if it does and you are not happy then yes you should make the call to go and see someone about it. In an ideal world it would not happen or a member of staff would sort it straight away but that's life. 

• Like 2

Well i certainly didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch. I was just asking because we don't go in the solarium but we're thinking about it this time. I certainly didn't mean for anyone to get so upset they start throwing the " Karen" around. By the way do you know it was a very popular name in the 60's & 70's ? So much so that I never was in a class with less than 3 of us named Karen all the way up to my high school years. Who'd have thought that now we're  known as the meme girls🤣

Edited by toxicfairy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Well i certainly didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch. I was just asking because we don't go in the solarium but we're thinking about it this time. I certainly didn't mean for anyone to get so upset they start throwing the " Karen" around. By the way do you know it was a very popular name in the 60's & 70's ? So much so that I never went to school with out at least 3 -4 of us having the name Karen. Who would have thought we'd get so popular now lol

It's your cruise go and do what you want  (within the rules!!!) 🙂 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Well i certainly didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch. I was just asking because we don't go in the solarium but we're thinking about it this time.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your question whatsoever. I hope you enjoy the Solarium. That's the only place we go to lounge and it's really not b/c we're primarily trying to avoid kids. I just can't handle sun and find shade easy to come by in the Solarium. We don't party so while we're fine with music in the background, we don't need it. And we don't really use the pool so no reason to be by the crowded main pools. I also find the Solarium bar less hectic than the pool bars.

Now that I'm typing this, besides the shade issue, I think I'm just avoiding people in general, not specifically kids, lol.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with your question whatsoever. I hope you enjoy the Solarium. That's the only place we go to lounge and it's really not b/c we're primarily trying to avoid kids. I just can't handle sun and find shade easy to come by in the Solarium. We don't party so while we're fine with music in the background, we don't need it. And we don't really use the pool so no reason to be by the crowded main pools. I also find the Solarium bar less hectic than the pool bars.

Now that I'm typing this, besides the shade issue, I think I'm just avoiding people in general, not specifically kids, lol.

Yes that's us. It's  not so much KIDS as it is their splashing and screaming lol. My husband got sober just over 2 years ago. It'll be our first cruise since then. Kind of thought the solarium might be a better place. We'll  see. I love kids but since I'm with them almost every day and my students are extremely loud ( mostly high behavioral autistic children) if I can escape just a bit of the crazy I'm  good lol. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Yes that's us. It's  not so much KIDS as it is their splashing and screaming lol. My husband got sober just over 2 years ago. It'll be our first cruise since then. Kind of thought the solarium might be a better place. We'll  see. I love kids but since I'm with them almost every day and my students are extremely loud ( mostly high behavioral autistic children) if I can escape just a bit of the crazy I'm  good lol. 

You will be fine in there. Enjoy the cruise.

23 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

We had the same issue on Liberty. The 20 something groups blasting music on their speakers above the piped in music in the hot tubs of the solarium and young kids throughout the seating areas of the solarium. I blame management for not policing the area and enforcing rules.

I’ve experienced 50+ folks doing this too.  No matter the age, it is annoying.  

20 hours ago, Tatka said:

I was thinking the same… Infants or even toddlers should not be in whirlpools due to health hazards. Parents just want to enjoy their vacation without thinking about their poor babies. Unacceptable 

On our last cruise this year (symphony) there were many babies and toddlers in swim diapers in the hot tub. Always folks who don’t speak English as a first language.  

After a couple days I said something to the attendant and life guard monitoring the kids pool.  They told me there was nothing they could do about it.  They could remove those in swim diapers from the splash zone however.  Lol.  What a joke.  Royal really needs better signage and in multiple languages.  I saw a less than one year old in the hot tub for a solid hour straight and in there for much of the day with the parents.   It was very warm, but not very hot.  Still very unhealthy.  I wouldn’t let my kids use that hot tub due to this.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’ve experienced 50+ folks doing this too.  No matter the age, it is annoying.  

It definitely is but it’s just as annoying that RC doesn’t train their employees to call for security to deal with these rule breakers. I understand the lifeguards, the clean up staff or the drink servers not wanting to confront them and definitely it’s not the other guests responsibility to do it so train them to simply call security and let them deal with it. It wasn’t a one time occurrence either. It was everyday.

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It definitely is but it’s just as annoying that RC doesn’t train their employees to call for security to deal with these rule breakers. I understand the lifeguards, the clean up staff or the drink servers not wanting to confront them and definitely it’s not the other guests responsibility to do it so train them to simply call security and let them deal with it. It wasn’t a one time occurrence either. It was everyday.

Yeah.  Definitely should train staff on this.  I’ve experienced these speakers at restaurants, the promenade, and even in the bars clubs.  It’s ridiculous.   

1 hour ago, topnole said:

On our last cruise this year (symphony) there were many babies and toddlers in swim diapers in the hot tub. Always folks who don’t speak English as a first language.  

After a couple days I said something to the attendant and life guard monitoring the kids pool.  They told me there was nothing they could do about it.  They could remove those in swim diapers from the splash zone however.  Lol.  What a joke.  Royal really needs better signage and in multiple languages.  I saw a less than one year old in the hot tub for a solid hour straight and in there for much of the day with the parents.   It was very warm, but not very hot.  Still very unhealthy.  I wouldn’t let my kids use that hot tub due to this.  

This is just like everything else.. about avoiding confrontations.

It has literally NOTHING to do with languages, People who cruise internationally know one of 6(?) languages used for warnings at least on basic level.

And if not ... will they allow bringing alcohol and such? 🙂

Yes, you should speak up...tell the bar staff, On my last cruise, sitting in the Solarium, reading, probably napping when a disruption was taking place on the first level.  These were "adults" behaving badly, sound travels up, nobody needs to laugh that loud!!!  After I spoke to the bar staff...(I asked the staff if this was a Carnival ship) LOL, he called security and the noisy adults stopped immediately and left shortly after.  

21 minutes ago, willcruise24 said:

Yes, you should speak up...tell the bar staff, On my last cruise, sitting in the Solarium, reading, probably napping when a disruption was taking place on the first level.  These were "adults" behaving badly, sound travels up, nobody needs to laugh that loud!!!  After I spoke to the bar staff...(I asked the staff if this was a Carnival ship) LOL, he called security and the noisy adults stopped immediately and left shortly after.

Laughing loud!!

So  should go tattle tale on  all the 14 year olds , the loud speakers, the loud people, the diapers, the drunk, the people dumping on the floor, the people dressed like they shouldn’t...  

There are 4000+ people on a ship to complain about if you look at it - have fun at customer service

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tatka said:

This is just like everything else.. about avoiding confrontations.

It has literally NOTHING to do with languages, People who cruise internationally know one of 6(?) languages used for warnings at least on basic level.

And if not ... will they allow bringing alcohol and such? 🙂

Idk.  I guess that makes them really rude people then.  

Either way, I’d prefer more signage.  It is extremely minimal even in English.  It’s their rules they pay employees to walk around and enforce.  Might as well have a few signs that would help explain the rules.  I have met many folks who legitimately didn’t know a swim diaper child wasn’t allowed in the main splash zone.  This makes sense because on land it would be allowed at most places.  The signs are tiny and in one or two places for a huge area n some ships.  Easy to never even see them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Laughing loud!!

So  should go tattle tale on  all the 14 year olds , the loud speakers, the loud people, the diapers, the drunk, the people dumping on the floor, the people dressed like they shouldn’t...  

There are 4000+ people on a ship to complain about if you look at it - have fun at customer service

NOPE!  Do you...please...pick your battles, I always ALWAYS enjoy my cruises...just for those who asked...not for those seasoned cruisers who know the ways of the world...

On 7/3/2023 at 8:13 PM, toxicfairy said:

On FOS is the solarium pool adults only? Is it a covered pool or can I still get sun. How often are the rules broken and the area is full of kids?

I love the Solarium pool, and -- in my limited experience -- it is all adult.  On one recent cruise I saw a man bring a toddler to the Solarium pool, and it was only moments before the lifeguard approached him and must've asked him to leave.  

When my kids were younger, I talked to them about the various pools beforehand.  When they were under 16, I told them they could walk in and look for me, if necessary, but they could not hang around.  Once they were 16, I told them that if they wanted to come to the adult pool, they had to act like adults; that is, they could not blare their music or splash in the pool.  Never had any problems.  

On 7/3/2023 at 8:13 PM, toxicfairy said:

I've even gone on one cruise that one of my severely autistic students was on the same ship🤦‍♀️ haha what were the chances. 

Oh, I believe it!  Waiting to board our last cruise, I went into the rest room in the Terminal -- and ran into a relative!  Neither of us had been aware of the other's plans!  

On 7/4/2023 at 3:23 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Not sure I understand your point about screaming in another language. Are you saying they were from another country?  Perhaps they  didn’t understand the signage?  

We encountered an exceptionally rude man on a recent cruise who only spoke English when it suited him.  He pushed to get ahead of us in the Terminal, and we laughed because we all ended up waiting in the same line!  He was everywhere on the ship -- in the towel line, in the Windjammer.  He was next-level rude.  

6 hours ago, willcruise24 said:

NOPE!  Do you...please...pick your battles, I always ALWAYS enjoy my cruises...just for those who asked...not for those seasoned cruisers who know the ways of the world...

Yes. Enjoy…unfortunately some people don’t see past their own nose. I don’t have the energy or courage to do something about it. I’m always afraid a confrontation will lead to bad things. I was once threatened on “Walmart of the Seas” after my daughter was splashing in the splash zone and I told the person I didn’t see the issue. The woman sent her husband over to me to show me the railing and where he could throw me. Security was a joke on Carnival and talking to a father of some girls who were harassed on the last Royal  cruise I was on he said security would not do anything but help facilitate police at the LAST port!! Really what a joke and they know it. 

I will say, Royal is slightly moving into the same cliental and roughness, or at least from some of the ports as Carnival.  I don’t see the staff doing nearly enough to stop this. There is a code of conduct people should be held too and if not the cruise line holds the ultimate power to not offer those people future cruises to the worst offender. Trust me make a few people eat their behavior and the word will spread into better behavior and better cruises for all people. 

12 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Yes. Enjoy…unfortunately some people don’t see past their own nose. I don’t have the energy or courage to do something about it. I’m always afraid a confrontation will lead to bad things. I was once threatened on “Walmart of the Seas” after my daughter was splashing in the splash zone and I told the person I didn’t see the issue. The woman sent her husband over to me to show me the railing and where he could throw me. Security was a joke on Carnival and talking to a father of some girls who were harassed on the last Royal  cruise I was on he said security would not do anything but help facilitate police at the LAST port!! Really what a joke and they know it. 

I will say, Royal is slightly moving into the same cliental and roughness, or at least from some of the ports as Carnival.  I don’t see the staff doing nearly enough to stop this. There is a code of conduct people should be held too and if not the cruise line holds the ultimate power to not offer those people future cruises to the worst offender. Trust me make a few people eat their behavior and the word will spread into better behavior and better cruises for all people. 

The clientele has been similar for

a long time.  Seen wacky stuff on both lines.   Take a short cruise on Royal and it is no different than a short cruise on Carnival.  It always struck me as

funny that so many folks think Royal was or is so much different.  It isn’t in my experience.  Plenty of crazies to go around on both cruise lines.  

• Like 3