Cozumel taxi safety - traveling solo

KarenRB

4 hours ago, KarenRB said:

Would like to go to Nachi Cocum again but this time I'll be traveling solo.  Do you feel riding solo in a cab is safe in Cozumel?  

Done Nachi solo twice you won't be going in a cab by yourself you get into a sizable minivan with others going to Nachi.

When you get off the ship in Cozumel after you walk through the sales pitch and go through security. Too your RIGHT will be rows of Taxi"s mini vans just tell them your going to Nachi they'll take you to the correct van with other's going. No worries you won't be by yourself or ever feel compromised.

Your going to have a very nice relaxing day on Cozumel. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No worries lots of people mini van straight to Nachi. Just to be real safe I'd walk over to one of the many bars right there at the port to the Left and get a drink and then get the minivan to Nachi. Gotta have a frozen margarita on the way to Nachi. 

Just to be real safe. 😁😎

• Haha 2

On 7/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, TTEllis said:

Done Nachi solo twice you won't be going in a cab by yourself you get into a sizable minivan with others going to Nachi.

When you get off the ship in Cozumel after you walk through the sales pitch and go through security. Too your RIGHT will be rows of Taxi"s mini vans just tell them your going to Nachi they'll take you to the correct van with other's going. No worries you won't be by yourself or ever feel compromised.

Your going to have a very nice relaxing day on Cozumel. 

Agree no safety issues, but interested to know what price they charged you solo in a shared van?

12 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

Is it easy to get the vans to return to the ship? Do they have a prearranged time to return?

Yes, they'll always be a taxi around or if your at Nachi about 15 minutes before you leave you can tell the lady up front your leaving in 15, could she call you a taxi that's what we all did. 

We all got our stuff together walked out to the parking lot and a minivan was waiting on us. Always hate leaving Nachi. No worries getting back to the ship. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 2:03 PM, KarenRB said:

Would like to go to Nachi Cocum again but this time I'll be traveling solo.  Do you feel riding solo in a cab is safe in Cozumel?  

I'm a fairly new solo traveler and kind of chicken.  I'm looking at the places you can walk to from International Pier Del Mar  El Cid Park Royal

There will be many people at the taxi line.  Just ask if anyone is going to wherever you want to go and would like to share the taxi cost.  When it's just my wife and I we always do that and many times there is another couple we can split it with.  I applaud your caution. 

You sound cautious but not paranoid -- perfect.  

Yes to joining the taxi line and searching for people who'd like to share a taxi.  Who doesn't want to pay less?  

Remember you've gotta get back too -- ask your taxi mates if they'd look for you to share on the way back too.  

Curious - in other cruise ports like St Thomas, Tortola, even a solo rider pays the shared taxi fare which is much less than the solo or 2-person fare.

That isn’t the case here I gather…We’ve taken many taxis around Playa Del Carmen, but those are private taxis and scheduled rates…

Thanks for the feedback!

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

even a solo rider pays the shared taxi fare which is much less than the solo or 2-person fare.

Not sure I understand, blue? 

Do you mean a solo in a shared van for 8 pays 1/8 where as a solo in a vehicle pays the whole fare on other islands? 

In Cozumel, especially from the port areas the taxi drivers “try-it on”. I am not sure there is an official rate. If you take a shared van to town for example they try to charge each couple (not sure for singles) $8, which is the up to four in a sedan rate. Eight person rate is $16.

It is one thing that annoys me about taxis on Cozumel when visiting by cruise ship -  we often let it go on a single cruise ship day but don’t tip. You don’t get this problem if you go outside the port or if you are staying on the island.

Edited by c-leg5

On Tortola, the published taxi rates are “three-tiered” by the number of passengers. So as an example, the fare to Cane Garden Bay is as follows:

1 person - $24

2 persons - $12/pp

3 persons - $8/pp

With the 12 - 24-passenger safari-type taxis, even a solo traveler would only pay the $8 fare. With “private” taxis a solo traveler would pay the full $24…

On STT the rates are two-tiered…and they recently went up substantially…

Thanks for the Coz explanation!

On 7/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, TTEllis said:

It was $10 each way.

Should have been $17 for up to four people. 

I’ve travelled twice to Cozumel solo. It’s very safe. The taxi drivers who are allowed to come into the port have to get approval to do so. In order to get a taxi permit there is a waitlist. I’ve become friends with a tour operator there and he has shared that taxi drivers are some of the better off people on the island and no way do they want to jeopardize that by any misbehavior.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 4:35 AM, momof3cruisers said:

Should have been $17 for up to four people. 

I’ve travelled twice to Cozumel solo. It’s very safe. The taxi drivers who are allowed to come into the port have to get approval to do so. In order to get a taxi permit there is a waitlist. I’ve become friends with a tour operator there and he has shared that taxi drivers are some of the better off people on the island and no way do they want to jeopardize that by any misbehavior.

I wish this as the situation in the Riviera Maya!