First time on NCL and getting worried

masspector

I definitely would NOT worry about snagging a reservation at Cagney's. I just took a gander at your sailing and almost every category is still available (except Spa). That tells me that the ship isn't even close to full, which means you're likely to have lots of opportunities to book your dinner reservations once onboard. Our last two cruises seemed to have spots available all evening. Enjoy your cruise! FWIW we thought the app worked GREAT, especially when my wife and I needed to text each other. But I'd also caution you to make sure and log out each time you use it (as I think someone else said), to avoid accidentally using up all of your minutes. Note that using the text function does NOT count towards your FAS internet minutes. I believe you pay $9.95 for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 1

Disembark, it's the same on a lot of ships/lines loads think self disembark will speed things up it then becomes the busiest time. Loads of people with bags and those that ignore their time and join the line to be first in the baggage hall

We now wait till near last.

Let the ship offload your bags does not matter what time/label.

Stay in cabin hit breakfast late when many have already gone.

Take your time(ignore your call).

You can even ignore the first last call.

When you do leave bags are Billy no mates with no mass of people scrambling looking

No line for transport.

1 hour ago, JCMass. said:

We never do self-disembarkation.  There is always long lines, and people lugging heavy suitcases.  We have a relaxing breakfast, and then plan to get off around 9:30am and as long as you are in public areas, (some wait by the pool or in a lounge) you can sit and wait.  By 9:30am the lines are moving right along.  They want everyone off the ship by 10am, so we stay away from the crowds till we join in the moving line. 

For most of our cruises we’ve done self-disembarkation. But for our next cruise our flight home is very late that day, so we won’t be in a rush. Can you remind me how it works if we put out luggage night before? How/when do we get our luggage the next day? 

We’ll be with two children and my mom in a wheelchair, so the less we have to drag around luggage, the better. 

5 minutes ago, laura85 said:

How/when do we get our luggage the next day? 

You get it inside the terminal, prior to customs.  You get a colored tag and get to look through all the bags with that color tag to find yours.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

You get it inside the terminal, prior to customs.  You get a colored tag and get to look through all the bags with that color tag to find yours.

That’s right! I remember doing this years ago. Thank you 

13 minutes ago, laura85 said:

For most of our cruises we’ve done self-disembarkation. But for our next cruise our flight home is very late that day, so we won’t be in a rush. Can you remind me how it works if we put out luggage night before? How/when do we get our luggage the next day? 

We’ll be with two children and my mom in a wheelchair, so the less we have to drag around luggage, the better. 

Where are you disembarking and what is your transportation from the port?

8 minutes ago, laura85 said:

That’s right! I remember doing this years ago. Thank you 

I do not know what kind of luggage  you have but remember, black softsided luggage is very popular.  You can wind colored yarn around the handle to set yours apart.

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Where are you disembarking and what is your transportation from the port?

Seattle. Do not have transportation booked yet. Our flight isn’t until 6pm 

1 minute ago, laura85 said:

Seattle. Do not have transportation booked yet. Our flight isn’t until 6pm 

Lucky you!!  Seattle Port Authority will take your bags directly from the ship to the airport.  When you put your luggage outside your cabin at night, the next time you will see it is at baggage claim at your home airport.  It is free and such s wonderful program.  The cruise will give you the paperwork to complete and the luggage tags for your airline/flight.

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Lucky you!!  Seattle Port Authority will take your bags directly from the ship to the airport.  When you put your luggage outside your cabin at night, the next time you will see it is at baggage claim at your home airport.  It is free and such s wonderful program.  The cruise will give you the paperwork to complete and the luggage tags for your airline/flight.

...a link to that good info.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, laura85 said:

You drop by the Guest Relations desk within the last few days of the cruise they put out luggage tags with colors connected to the time you plan to leave.  Put the tags on your luggage that you have filled out put your luggage out by 11pm the last night, don't forget to leave something to wear off the ship.  I have heard of others having to leave in a bathrobe.  Then when you get off the ship the luggage is in the terminal arrange by the color of the tags.  We have never had a problem finding out suitcases and then you just walk out the nearby door. 

17 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

You drop by the Guest Relations desk within the last few days of the cruise they put out luggage tags with colors connected to the time you plan to leave.  Put the tags on your luggage that you have filled out put your luggage out by 11pm the last night, don't forget to leave something to wear off the ship.  I have heard of others having to leave in a bathrobe.  Then when you get off the ship the luggage is in the terminal arrange by the color of the tags.  We have never had a problem finding out suitcases and then you just walk out the nearby door. 

Yikes a bathrobe!!!!! Is there any way to arrange for luggage to be transferred to the airport? So we aren’t lugging it around all day til out flight? 

2 hours ago, masspector said:

We have never had such an issue getting a taxi on debark day before.  Two ships came in the same day, but it was crazy.  Getting off ship, customs, and getting bags was not that bad.  But taxi wait was at least an hour if not longer.  Seemed very unorganized.

Hmmmm....as mentioned, the independent ones are usually ready to get to you as you come out of the terminal....4-5 deep.  I ordinarily pre-book transport.  And, those busses are fighting with the cabbies to get a spot to pick people up.

In short, never saw anyone waiting for transport.  Wonder what went wrong on the street.  Were they restricting where the transport cars could park on the street?

12 hours ago, masspector said:

Watched a YT video from a recent Encore cruise in Alaska and the person had these observations:

Finally, he did self-disembark and he said NCL heavily controlled access to deck 7.  Once he finally got there, deck 7 lobby was packed, and it took him 55 minutes just to get from deck 7 off the ship. 

I see you watched Zach.  😀  

Trying to get off the ship as soon as possible is a fool's errand. If he had waited the 55 minutes in a nice comfortable chair somewhere, he probably would have just walked off the ship (or nearly so).

We have a 1:00 pm flight out of Newark in November and will probably be one of the last one's off the ship, with taxis readily available. Not paying the outrageous price for an NCL transfer.  A 2:00 pm flight is a no-brainer.

YMMV.

11 hours ago, bobbygirl said:

We release 20% of pre-booking reservations, and the rest are released onboard.”

Experienced NCL cruisers understand that this is marketing, not truth.  Who'd a thought....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

To each their own…but we didn’t find the $75 for two to Newark to be unreasonable.  It was easy and reliable.  

For sure.

A New York taxi is, well, an experience. Some might find it out of their comfort zone. All I can say is it was half the price, twice the fun, and FAR more comfortable than a crowded shuttle bus.

• Haha 1

Lol.  Yeah…NYC taxi is a total NYC experience, of which, is our preferred city transport experience.  We recently did Carmel car service from Newark hotel to the port for $79 plus we tipped extra.  Last cruise taxi from LGA to Times Square hotel with reasonable tip was $63.70.  So I would say $75 to NWR for two as very reasonable.

10 hours ago, LloydJr said:

Experienced NCL cruisers understand that this is marketing, not truth.  Who'd a thought....

What has been your experience?  Do you think if we board early and go to Cagney's first thing that we can get a reservation one of the days between 5pm and 7pm?  Thanks

10 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Lol.  Yeah…NYC taxi is a total NYC experience, of which, is our preferred city transport experience.  We recently did Carmel car service from Newark hotel to the port for $79 plus we tipped extra.  Last cruise taxi from LGA to Times Square hotel with reasonable tip was $63.70.  So I would say $75 to NWR for two as very reasonable.

DH will be all about booking the NCL transfer, no matter the cost, after our Seattle taxi experience.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, masspector said:

What has been your experience?  Do you think if we board early and go to Cagney's first thing that we can get a reservation one of the days between 5pm and 7pm?  Thanks

You won't make the reservations at the venue on embarkation day, there's a central location (Teppanyaki or somewhere on deck 6 usually) where that is done.

Just now, hallux said:

You won't make the reservations at the venue on embarkation day, there's a central location (Teppanyaki or somewhere on deck 6 usually) where that is done.

@halluxis correct, and, you want to do that as early as possible for best results!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

@halluxis correct, and, you want to do that as early as possible for best results!

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

Thanks.  Will do.

• Like 1