Time for a 12 day Scandinavian cruise out of Dover om the Carnival Pride

jimbo5544

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Laundry was waiting for us when we went to room.  Check.  Went to Butterflies at 8:15.  Very crowded.  Talked with entertainment team member while waiting.   They were up all night going thru stuff

I have to say that it sure sounds like the whole crew has done an incredible job under very difficult circumstances.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Travelnplane said:

Did Carnival book you now just to London or do you have your whole journey booked through to your final destination?

As I understand it, Carnival is getting everyone back to Heathrow in order to catch their regularly scheduled flights back home as if they had disembarked the cruise normally on 7/21.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

As you can imagine, having every cabin turning in a survey (flight needs) to the Customer Service desk by 9pm (we had about a 90 minute response window) made the Atrium area a real zoo. But from my prospective, Pride had plenty of staff available covering the area nearby and for us, we had turned in our form within about 3-4 minutes and were out of there. I'm sure there were plenty of stressed out, overly demanding people there, but for us - it was fast and seamless and we got the heck out of the way.

So kudos (so far) for the professionalism of the Carnival Pride crew.

Agree that having the singer belting out songs at the Atrium was foolish. One demerit for the entertainment staff.

Probably all part of the plan!  😉

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

From butterflies off the ship.  They collect sign and sail at that point.  Can only assume so that they know who left.  Never seen that before. Here is a pic od Butterflies. 

IMG_6441.jpeg

I have had my card collected once before. It was a Magic cruise from Port Canaveral in 2017. Hurricane Irma had us diverted to New Orleans for restocking of supplies. Those of us who debarked in NO instead of remaining on for the extended cruise back to PC had our Sign and Sail cards collected. 

I think the ship uses it as a double check as to who has left.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jsglow said:

@jimbo5544, just wondering if you've arrived back in the UK yet? Do they have hotels lined up for you and what's the logistics prior to your presumed planned departure tomorrow?

I don’t know about jimbo, but some people I met on board texted me that they would be on one of the flights to London today and that Carnival was putting them up at a hotel in London tonight.  They’d be catching their previously scheduled flight home tomorrow.  It is amazing what Carnival has arranged on such short notice.  

I’m still on board, and there is no word on when we will be sailing.  My return flight is on the 31st, the day after the next - now canceled - cruise was due to end.  If the repairs take a long time, then I assume Carnival will be making similar arrangements to get the rest of us back to London eventually.  Besides my fellow B2B passengers, I spoke with a UK couple who drove to Dover, and they are also staying onboard.  

There will be more charter flights to London tomorrow and Saturday, per the cruise director.   Still getting people off on Saturday likely means we’ll still be here then, though I suppose people could be put up in a hotel in Kiel if we are ready to sail tomorrow.  But I am not holding my breath for that. 

We could leave the ship around noon today to explore Kiel if we wanted to.  Back on board time is 10:00 pm - not because we are sailing but because we are moving to a different pier.  

The prospect of a shortened or alternate cruise is starting to feel less likely.  Nothing for me to do but wait for word. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

I don’t know about jimbo, but some people I met on board texted me that they would be on one of the flights to London today and that Carnival was putting them up at a hotel in London tonight.  They’d be catching their previously scheduled flight home tomorrow.  It is amazing what Carnival has arranged on such short notice.  

I’m still on board, and there is no word on when we will be sailing.  My return flight is on the 31st, the day after the next - now canceled - cruise was due to end.  If the repairs take a long time, then I assume Carnival will be making similar arrangements to get the rest of us back to London eventually.  Besides my fellow B2B passengers, I spoke with a UK couple who drove to Dover, and they are also staying onboard.  

There will be more charter flights to London tomorrow and Saturday, per the cruise director.   Still getting people off on Saturday likely means we’ll still be here then, though I suppose people could be put up in a hotel in Kiel if we are ready to sail tomorrow.  But I am not holding my breath for that. 

We could leave the ship around noon today to explore Kiel if we wanted to.  Back on board time is 10:00 pm - not because we are sailing but because we are moving to a different pier.  

The prospect of a shortened or alternate cruise is starting to feel less likely.  Nothing for me to do but wait for word. 

It's lovely having you on board giving us the inside scoop. Thank you.

• Like 4

Reading all the updates from Carnival I have to say I’ve been extremely impressed with how they’ve handled all of this. The compensation package for those cancelled seems generous, for those already travelled some good arrangements and possible options still to come, and those on board lots of options - I’d definitely be staying onboard, nice quiet ship - free cheers package - all sounds good to me 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Reading all the updates from Carnival I have to say I’ve been extremely impressed with how they’ve handled all of this. The compensation package for those cancelled seems generous, for those already travelled some good arrangements and possible options still to come, and those on board lots of options - I’d definitely be staying onboard, nice quiet ship - free cheers package - all sounds good to me 

Hadn't seen the free Cheers! that's pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

Hadn't seen the free Cheers! that's pretty awesome. 

I haven’t seen free cheers, either, and I’m onboard.  Where did that information come from???

For a reality check - the compensation for those B2B passengers who bailed on next (now cancelled) cruise is generous.  Full refund and 100% FCC.  For those of us who chose to stay onboard, with the expectation of a 2nd cruise, just a shorter one, and very little time to make up our minds to rebook our flight, cancel any post-cruise hotel reservation, and get on a list for a charter, the situation is currently not looking so rosy.  

Sure, the ship is becoming more empty.  We could get off in Kiel this afternoon and evening, but I personally didn’t want to venture too far from the ship.  There isn’t much to see within walking distance.  Everyone has to be to be back on board by 10:00 tonight because we are moving to a different pier in a cargo area.  Per a letter we got tonight, we won’t be able to leave the ship for “several days” as German immigration authorities only want to process passengers in the cargo area who are disembarking permanently, not those returning to the ship.  The letter went onto say the necessary repair parts are “on the way” to the ship.  

It’s becoming harder to imagine what kind of shortened itinerary could be put together if we are here at least for several more days, then have to sail to Dover, and then be back in Dover for the July 30 cruise.  To Le Havre and back?   To Zeebrugge and back? I wouldn’t mind either or both of those, but Carnival can’t even make plans without knowing exactly when the repairs will be completed. 

I know I chose this option, and Carnival doesn’t owe me anything.  But spending a chunk of the next “cruise” in a cargo shipyard was not something I anticipated. I will make the best of it, but in hindsight, I’m not sure it was the best choice.  

I agree that all indications are that Carnival is doing a fabulous job taking care of everyone who would have been disembarking tomorrow.  

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

I have had Carnival canceled cruises even apart from Covid and have always found that any time corporate gets involved, things are handled well and compensation is fair. (We got a 100 percent FCC and full refund when Vista sailing was canceled a week before our cruise due to needing some sort of repair on the ship and we got a 25% FCC plus money back for canceled Mardi Gras sailing because ship not ready.)   The only times things are a mess seems to be when someone on an individual ship is incompetent and doesn't handle it well. But carnival corporate seems to be awesome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I haven’t seen free cheers, either, and I’m onboard.  Where did that information come from???

For a reality check - the compensation for those B2B passengers who bailed on next (now cancelled) cruise is generous.  Full refund and 100% FCC.  For those of us who chose to stay onboard, with the expectation of a 2nd cruise, just a shorter one, and very little time to make up our minds to rebook our flight, cancel any post-cruise hotel reservation, and get on a list for a charter, the situation is currently not looking so rosy.  

Any chance you could change your mind and ask to be put on one of the last Saturday charters? Maybe they have some seats left?  I do agree sitting in a Cargo area does not seem like much of a vacation.  Seems like you could argue that wasn't part of the information provided when you had to make a decision, and changing your decision now that that info is known is not unreasonable.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

It’s becoming harder to imagine what kind of shortened itinerary could be put together if we are here at least for several more days, then have to sail to Dover, and then be back in Dover for the July 30 cruise.  To Le Havre and back?   To Zeebrugge and back? I wouldn’t mind either or both of those, but Carnival can’t even make plans without knowing exactly when the repairs will be completed. 

One time I did a 3 day Carnival cruise from Dover to Amsterdam.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Sure, the ship is becoming more empty.  We could get off in Kiel this afternoon and evening, but I personally didn’t want to venture too far from the ship.  There isn’t much to see within walking distance.  Everyone has to be to be back on board by 10:00 tonight because we are moving to a different pier in a cargo area.  Per a letter we got tonight, we won’t be able to leave the ship for “several days” as German immigration authorities only want to process passengers in the cargo area who are disembarking permanently, not those returning to the ship.  The letter went onto say the necessary repair parts are “on the way” to the ship.  

I know I chose this option, and Carnival doesn’t owe me anything.  But spending a chunk of the next “cruise” in a cargo shipyard was not something I anticipated. I will make the best of it, but in hindsight, I’m not sure it was the best choice.  

I agree that all indications are that Carnival is doing a fabulous job taking care of everyone who would have been disembarking tomorrow.  

I completely understand your frustration and I understand your need for a quick decision the other night but in retrospect to have anticipated anything except a multi-day repair in Kiel might have been unrealistic.  At least there's no indication it's multi-week! The good news is that the parts seem to be on their way. That's very encouraging.  But these things take time. Think of it like a transmission rebuild on your car. This isn't an 'oil change'.

Here's what I think will happen. You'll be in Kiel until perhaps early next week.  And from there you may simply proceed on whatever mini-cruise Carnival cooks up. Once all those factors are known they'll decide on a proper credit and FCC to compensate you.  I'd anticipate a full update by the weekend at the latest as Carnival no doubt has numerous 7/21 cruisers cooling their heels in London right now.  They need to either be accommodated beyond the couple of days of hotel they've been provided beginning 7/21 or sent home. It all depends on the repair timetable.

All you can do is 'sit tight'. What you know is that your flight home is on 7/31. Everything between now and then is an adventure. And Carnival will do right by you in the end. Lemonade out of lemons.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, OneLuckyMom said:

Any chance you could change your mind and ask to be put on one of the last Saturday charters? Maybe they have some seats left?  I do agree sitting in a Cargo area does not seem like much of a vacation.  Seems like you could argue that wasn't part of the information provided when you had to make a decision, and changing your decision now that that info is known is not unreasonable.

I thought about that, but I would have to coordinate changing my flight home from London with whether or not I could get on a charter.  And I think I missed the window for “canceling” myself out of the cruise they cancelled.  

I just found out tonight before getting ready for bed about the several days in the cargo area, and to be honest, I am stressed and tired and not up to dealing with it at this time.  Earlier this evening I told my travel agent, “Well, there is food that I don’t have to shop for, cook, or clean up after, my bed gets made every day, and my bathroom gets cleaned every day. It beats being at home.”  I am trying make the best of it. 

So far, all they have offered us who are staying on board is free Wi-Fi.  I had purchased Wi-Fi for the 2nd cruise, so that doesn’t impress me.  I have no idea if I’ll get a credit for my purchase.  I feel like something else should be offered as we are not likely to get much more than a few days of a cruise with maybe one port, if that much.  Maybe more will be forthcoming after Carnival takes care of getting everyone else off, and after it’s known exactly what we are ending up with for our “cruise.”

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, nascargirly said:

My family is still on board the ship, their flight out of Heathrow is Saturday afternoon. Still awaiting update from carnival as far as getting on a charter out of Kiel. 

They're in the Friday solution stack. Carnival just turned their attention from the Thursday stack. Problem A, then B, then C.

I hope they're in good spirits!  Ask 'em 'What's for dinner?' 👍

• Like 2

Sleep tight @Joanne G. 

Take comfort knowing that Carnival fully stepped up for the guests that are on the way home.  They know that being tied up in the Kiel cargo area isn't a cruise. Right now they've gotten you a bed and a hot meal. They'll figure it out in time and you'll feel good about it. Trust them.

• Like 5

@Joanne G. I can promise you that unless they end up giving you some sort of comparable cruise with multiple port stops, you will be getting money back. They aren't going to call sitting in the harbor a "cruise" = to the one you were supposed to go on and not refund any of your money. They probably are just dealing with people who have flights to catch in the next 1-2 days first. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1