Time for a 12 day Scandinavian cruise out of Dover om the Carnival Pride

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

To London, but we can make our original flight home as was intended.  Part of why we were different from others is we used fly2fun and others did not for several reasons.  They def did fly2fun first.

Interesting!  We are using Fly2Fun this October to Rome so I'm learning from your experience. Thanks for the reports and wishing you safe travels home!!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Quite a bit of difference between welding a temporary steel plate over a hole in the hull, and getting particular parts to repair a complex system.  Not all parts are stocked by the manufacturer, if they are not considered to be "wear parts" or "high usage", and are manufactured to order.  Especially with today's supply chain issues, many things take quite a while to get.  And, yes, after repairs are completed, there will need to be a "dock trial" of running the pod and steering it for a couple of hours before the ship is cleared.  Yes, they will do whatever they can to expedite this process, but a lot of it is out of their hands.

But we did hear in the evening letter to pax that 'parts were on the way'.  That's a heck of a lot better than 'parts are being manufactured'. Obviously none of us know.

In your professional judgement, do you think they have it fully diagnosed by now?  There is world-wide experience with these things 'breaking'.

• Like 1

My wife and I are not b2b-ers but opted to stay on till we get back to Dover. Like Joanne, we are not thrilled at being unable to disembark while the repairs are underway (we had visions of day trips to Hamburg and Lübeck or the nice-looking seaside towns nearby), but we are certainly not stressed. 

I don't feel Carnival could have done any more for the guests in very difficult circumstances. If we'd had flights to worry about we'd have been panicking, and I'm sure the crew will have had to deal with some unpleasant and irate guests. The queues at guest services have been enormous, and they appear to have dispensed with any special Platinum/ Diamond queue.

As has been said, they have been forced to devote every minute to dealing with those leaving the ship, and those opting to remain on board and the b2b-ers are the least of their concerns at present. I have no doubt that will change.

We've already had our free WiFi, a refund of about $26pp (maybe for port taxes for the cancelled stop in Gothenburg) as well as $50 OBC pp which everyone had. Still to come is a prorata refund for the curtailed part of the cruise ( not sure if this will be 1/12 or more of the cruise fare), and a 25% FCC valid till next July.

They might throw in the odd free drink for those (like us) who did not buy a drinks package. Possibly to compensate for there being no Platinum-Diamond drinks reception this cruise (I gather the captain, crew and cruise director had other things to deal with).

I have no idea when we'll be back in Dover. Sunday at any time would be great, Monday or Tuesday would be fine, but there  has been no indication of how long the repairs will take once the parts arrive.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

As the ship just had a dry dock, perhaps they should skip the testing phase. Or put the old parts back in. Whatever it takes.

I have to admit to a certain level of curiosity as to (a) what was done to the azipod in drydock and (b) if relevant after answering (a), what kind of warranty was given on the work done. Could have an impact as to who ultimately is on the hook for this mess. Oh, wait, this lawyer retired last year.🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Which is why they'll essentially get all their money back and a massive FCC.

I don't disagree that they may do that.  But your original comment "to have anticipated anything except a multi-day repair in Kiel might have been unrealistic" came across as a bit harsh, which is what I was responding to.  It came across as blaming the victim a bit.

Edited by OneLuckyMom
formatting
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I haven’t seen free cheers, either, and I’m onboard.  Where did that information come from???

For a reality check - the compensation for those B2B passengers who bailed on next (now cancelled) cruise is generous.  Full refund and 100% FCC.  For those of us who chose to stay onboard, with the expectation of a 2nd cruise, just a shorter one, and very little time to make up our minds to rebook our flight, cancel any post-cruise hotel reservation, and get on a list for a charter, the situation is currently not looking so rosy.  

Sure, the ship is becoming more empty.  We could get off in Kiel this afternoon and evening, but I personally didn’t want to venture too far from the ship.  There isn’t much to see within walking distance.  Everyone has to be to be back on board by 10:00 tonight because we are moving to a different pier in a cargo area.  Per a letter we got tonight, we won’t be able to leave the ship for “several days” as German immigration authorities only want to process passengers in the cargo area who are disembarking permanently, not those returning to the ship.  The letter went onto say the necessary repair parts are “on the way” to the ship.  

It’s becoming harder to imagine what kind of shortened itinerary could be put together if we are here at least for several more days, then have to sail to Dover, and then be back in Dover for the July 30 cruise.  To Le Havre and back?   To Zeebrugge and back? I wouldn’t mind either or both of those, but Carnival can’t even make plans without knowing exactly when the repairs will be completed. 

I know I chose this option, and Carnival doesn’t owe me anything.  But spending a chunk of the next “cruise” in a cargo shipyard was not something I anticipated. I will make the best of it, but in hindsight, I’m not sure it was the best choice.  

I agree that all indications are that Carnival is doing a fabulous job taking care of everyone who would have been disembarking tomorrow.  

Are you able to change your mind and leave?

41 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

I have to admit to a certain level of curiosity as to (a) what was done to the azipod in drydock and (b) if relevant after answering (a), what kind of warranty was given on the work done. Could have an impact as to who ultimately is on the hook for this mess. Oh, wait, this lawyer retired last year.🙄

I don't know that anything was done to the azipods, but since the ship was in an extended dry dock, surely they were inspected. Or should have been.

Just posted to 7/21 roll call:

GUEST ADVISORY

UPDATE FOR CARNIVAL PRIDE
JULY 21, 2023 (NOW DEPARTING JULY 24, 2023)

July 20, 2023

Dear Carnival Pride Guests, 

We are writing to share an important update. 

As you know, we boarded technical experts overnight and we anticipate completing the repairs and getting the ship back to Dover Monday morning.   

We are happy to share that we will be able to operate a cruise with an abbreviated itinerary departing from Dover Monday, July 24, and returning as originally planned on Sunday, July 30:

980485d7-b07f-43ad-a709-6d1753cfb179.jpg

If you choose to take this cruise, you will be entitled to:  
  • Prorated 3-day refund of your cruise fare (and applicable taxes, fees, and port expenses as well as any shore excursions for missed ports of call), Cheers/Bottomless Bubbles beverage packages, pre-paid gratuities and Wi-Fi packages.
  • US$500 onboard credit (per stateroom).
  • For guests already in Europe: Reimbursement of an additional night’s hotel stay for Sunday (up to US$300 per night) and a food per diem of US$100 per day, per person.
  • For guests who have not departed for Europe: you are eligible for this onboard offer and the hotel and food per diem for Sunday only.  We will also reimburse the change fee for your airline tickets for the same class of service if they can be rebooked. We realize flights are full this time of year and there may be limited options but we wanted to make this offer nonetheless.
If you do not sail, you are entitled to the full refund of your cruise fare and a 100% future cruise credit (plus applicable taxes, fees, and port expenses, and pre-cruise purchases) that was previously communicated.*  

While we had previously said you do not have to take any action to cancel your reservation, because of this revised itinerary, we are asking ALL guests who want to cancel to call us by 11:59 EDT on Friday, July 21, to insure timely cancellation of your reservation and the processing of your refund.   
  • From the U.S. and Canada:  Dial 1-800-CARNIVAL, or contact your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel advisor.
  • From the UK:  Dial toll-free 0808-234-0680 and then choose “already booked” when prompted.
All guests should follow the instructions from our communication on Wednesday to submit authorized expense reimbursement receipts.  If you choose to cancel, your refund will be returned to your original form of payment and your future cruise credit will be forthcoming based on the terms and conditions at the bottom of this notice.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Sincerely,

7436bfd8-e2f5-424e-ab0c-3a2617dabebd.jpg
Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

*The future cruise credit (FCC) is based on the cruise fare paid for this voyage (excluding taxes, fees, and port expenses), is non-transferable, cannot be used as a deposit or applied to a chartered sailing, has no cash value, and must be redeemed by July 31, 2024, on any Carnival Cruise Line departure open for sale. The FCC may only be used in the same currency in which the above voyage was originally paid and cannot be used for taxes, fees and port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection, onboard charges, or gratuities. The booking guest shall be responsible for payment of the difference between the amount of the FCC and the amount of the new booking if higher. There is no refund for the FCC or for any cancellation penalties that may be assessed, and the FCC will be forfeited if you choose to cancel. After you have booked your new cruise, please use this link to provide us with the booking information so we can process your FCC.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have insomnia, and I got up to put the “snoozin” tag on the door so I would be covered if I eventually fell asleep. In my mailbox was not the letter posted above about the shortened cruise, but information on my scheduled charter flight to London and hotel stay on Saturday, with luggage tags attached for my bags which were to be set out by 10:00 Friday night.   I already told them I would be staying on board and my flight home was on July 31.  But maybe this was my chance to end this apparent cruise to nowhere??

I knew I wouldn’t get any sleep until I tried to get an explanation, so I threw on some clothes and went to guest services.  Another B2B person was ahead of me; one more came right after me.  We were casually told that we would be getting an email “soon” regarding the next cruise.  If we wanted to stay onboard, all we had to do was tell them that and let them know we wouldn’t need the charter flight we were assigned to.  Simple, right?? Why were we worried?  Just because they were apparently kicking us off?  

I didn’t have the email when I first checked after returning to my cabin, but now I do, and it is the information posted above.  I will stay onboard due to the incentives and a reluctance to change my post-cruise flight and hotel plans - and exhaustion that makes me not want to deal with travel on Saturday.  All I have to do is go to guest services again and inform them I am staying onboard for whatever the next cruise is (as I told them on the form we were issued when this all started) won’t be on the charter flight.  It’s always fun to go to guest services LOL

Hopefully this is the end of the saga!  Besides my own stress, I really do feel for those scheduled on the July 21 cruise.  We B2B passengers aboard now did get almost all our July 9 cruise, and we were already onboard, not in transit to London, when the issues hit.

To jimbo5544, thank you for your comprehensive trip report, and I apologize for hijacking it.  If there is any more drama about the next cruise, I will start a new thread. 

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

I have insomnia, and I got up to put the “snoozin” tag on the door so I would be covered if I eventually fell asleep. In my mailbox was not the letter posted above about the shortened cruise, but information on my scheduled charter flight to London and hotel stay on Saturday, with luggage tags attached for my bags which were to be set out by 10:00 Friday night.   I already told them I would be staying on board and my flight home was on July 31.  But maybe this was my chance to end this apparent cruise to nowhere??

I knew I wouldn’t get any sleep until I tried to get an explanation, so I threw on some clothes and went to guest services.  Another B2B person was ahead of me; one more came right after me.  We were casually told that we would be getting an email “soon” regarding the next cruise.  If we wanted to stay onboard, all we had to do was tell them that and let them know we wouldn’t need the charter flight we were assigned to.  Simple, right?? Why were we worried?  Just because they were apparently kicking us off?  

I didn’t have the email when I first checked after returning to my cabin, but now I do, and it is the information posted above.  I will stay onboard due to the incentives and a reluctance to change my post-cruise flight and hotel plans - and exhaustion that makes me not want to deal with travel on Saturday.  All I have to do is go to guest services again and inform them I am staying onboard for whatever the next cruise is (as I told them on the form we were issued when this all started) won’t be on the charter flight.  It’s always fun to go to guest services LOL

Hopefully this is the end of the saga!  Besides my own stress, I really do feel for those scheduled on the July 21 cruise.  We B2B passengers aboard now did get almost all our July 9 cruise, and we were already onboard, not in transit to London, when the issues hit.

To jimbo5544, thank you for your comprehensive trip report, and I apologize for hijacking it.  If there is any more drama about the next cruise, I will start a new thread. 

I feel for you.  Hopefully at least having the plan will help you rest and relax a bit the next few days!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Hugs to you, and thank you for sharing. You're handling the situation so well! 💝

• Like 2

So Monday it is! As much as it stinks to have plans go awry, Carnival's handling of this (as someone already in Europe still hoping to sail) has been excellent.

Thanks again to Jimbo and Joanne for keeping us informed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

Hugs to you, and thank you for sharing. You're handling the situation so well! 💝

Thanks to all of you who have offered support and information. These are my first solo cruises, and stressful circumstances can seem more stressful when alone.  Cruise Critic friends make me feel less alone. 😊 I am in touch with family and friends, but with the exception of my sister (many times my cabin mate), they don’t know anything about cruising and can’t offer the same support as fellow CC people.   

I’m up early and will take care of the charter flight situation.  Then I will relax for the rest of the day - and hopefully the rest of the cruise.  

• Like 20

11 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I haven’t seen free cheers, either, and I’m onboard.  Where did that information come from???.  

John Heald, he said anyone that had the cheers/unlimited bubbles already would get it continued free of charge. 

• Like 3

Reposted the above but from John Heald, some of the text on the above statement is cut off, so if you couldn’t read it, here it is in full. 

“Dear Carnival Pride Guests,
We are writing to share an important update.

As you know, we boarded technical experts overnight and we anticipate completing the repairs and getting the ship back to Dover Monday morning.

We are happy to share that we will be able to operate a cruise with an abbreviated itinerary departing from Dover Monday, July 24, and returning as originally planned on Sunday, July 30:

Monday. Dover 
Tuesday. Fun Day at Sea 
Wednesday. Belfast, Ireland 
Thursday.Holyhead, Wales
Friday. Cork, Ireland 
Saturday. Fun Day at Sea 
Sunday. Dover. 

If you choose to take this cruise, you will be entitled to:

• Prorated 3-day refund of your cruise fare (and applicable taxes, fees, and port expenses as well as any shore excursions for missed ports of call), Cheers/Bottomless Bubbles beverage packages, pre-paid gratuities and Wi-Fi packages.

• For guests already in Europe: Reimbursement of an additional night’s hotel stay for Sunday (up to US$300 per night) and a food per diem of US$100 per day, per person.

• For guests who have not departed for Europe: you are eligible for this onboard offer and the hotel and food per diem for Sunday only. We will also reimburse the change fee for your airline tickets for the same class of service if they can be rebooked. We realize flights are full this time of year and there may be limited options but we wanted to make this offer nonetheless.

If you do not sail, you are entitled to the full refund of your cruise fare and a 100% future cruise credit (plus applicable taxes, fees, and port expenses, and pre-cruise purchases) that was previously communicated.*

While we had previously said you do not have to take any action to cancel your reservation, because of this revised itinerary, we are asking ALL guests who want to cancel to call us by 11:59 EDT on Friday, July 21, to insure timely cancellation of your reservation and the processing of your refund:

• From the U.S. and Canada: Dial 1-800-CARNIVAL, or contact your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel advisor.

• From the UK: Dial toll-free 0808-234-0680 and then choose “already booked” when prompted.

All guests should follow the instructions from our communication on Wednesday to submit authorized expense reimbursement receipts. If you choose to cancel, your refund will be returned to your original form of payment and your future cruise credit will be forthcoming. “

This I think is a brilliant offer and still allows you to enjoy the beauty of Ireland and Wales and yep, I’ll say it, have $500 to spend on board which I think is fabulous.  

So the crew are waiting to welcome you on board and I hope many of you sitting reading this now here in the UK while enjoying a full English breakfast of bacon, sausage, fried egg, ferried bread, baked beans and grits will take this offer and get ready for some FUN 

Cheers

• Thanks 4