Confused about the different cruise operators

Alicop21

We've sailed with P&O a couple of times and have been very happy. We have kids so are limited by the times of the year we can sail etc and we only want to sail from Southampton (as we are close by).

I thought I'd look into other cruise lines for next year but I'm finding the pricing on some of them very odd. I've been told that both Princess and Royal Caribbean are a 'step up' from P&O (maybe a discussion for another thread) but I've just looked up three very similar cruises from all three operators and the price varies wildly. For 14 night balcony, P&O are the cheapest, Princess is about another £1000 (though I'm confused by what is included/not included on the lower tier price, tipping etc) and Royal Caribbean is DOUBLE the price of P&O! DOUBLE!? Is it really that much better? 

When comparing prices you need to know if it is a US or UK/European based website - you can usually see it based on currency for the cruis price.
On the US web, in US$, the prices are without tips, taxes and fees, while prices in € or £ are a 'total price' by law are including tips, taxes and fees.
When possible always choose the cruise line UK site when located in the UK.
Confusing when comparing prices online. I assume all prices include food in the main restaurant and cafes but not drinks.

Prices does vary based on itinerary.

I do find Royal Caribbean good value for money - no experience with P&O.

Edited by hallasm

7 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

We've sailed with P&O a couple of times and have been very happy. We have kids so are limited by the times of the year we can sail etc and we only want to sail from Southampton (as we are close by).

I thought I'd look into other cruise lines for next year but I'm finding the pricing on some of them very odd. I've been told that both Princess and Royal Caribbean are a 'step up' from P&O (maybe a discussion for another thread) but I've just looked up three very similar cruises from all three operators and the price varies wildly. For 14 night balcony, P&O are the cheapest, Princess is about another £1000 (though I'm confused by what is included/not included on the lower tier price, tipping etc) and Royal Caribbean is DOUBLE the price of P&O! DOUBLE!? Is it really that much better? 

This is one of those instances when only a legal pad & calculator will do.  Or a good travel advisor.  List each cruise's fare and the dollar/pound value of what's included.  Be sure that what's important to you is on your list.  For example, my TA always negotiates a comp drinks package ... I love the thought of endless glasses of sparkling wine on a cruise!  Other people drink maybe one glass of wine a day.  I want prepaid tips, because I hate those 'last minute' tip allocations, so I tip 'my people' in cash as we go along.  Note anything that's really special about a particular cruise as a tie-breaker.  Once you spend a couple of hours on this project, your choice will be clear.

Sometimes there is a big price difference if you are sailing on a new ship - same itinerary on another ship might be less expensive.  I find it easiest to do a mock booking to see what the actual bottom line includes and what that figure is - can be eye opening.

• Like 1

Cruise Line pricing - like airline pricing - is a mystery to just about everyone - including those of us in the business.

Cruise lines have basic price point levels for different categories of cabins; they also have basic price points for specific itineraries.

But many other factors decide the actual selling price: age of the ship, size of the ship, time of year, world economy, special offers to specific age groups/ specific nationalities/ specific states/ specific countries.

Then when you think you have it figured out - they factor in Supply and Demand. If a specific cruise is selling well at a specific point in time, the fares go up. If a specific cruise is not selling well at a specific point in time, the fares go down.

The cruising public is rather fickle - which also affects fares. On the Mass Market Lines, every cabin on every ship on every cruise is sold an average of 8 times before the cruise actually happens. People change their minds, they cancel, they change dates, they change ships, they change categories, they change cruise lines, they have family emergencies, they have medical emergencies, they miss flights.

This also helps to explain the sometimes wildly fluctuating fares offered, and also explains why, when you telephone a cruise line, you must often wait a long time to speak to someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Know what you want from a cruise, do research and then do dummy bookings.  Don't forget to clear any cookies off your computer before you start.  Yes, P&O is cheap and there is nothing wrong with them, but if you want something a little more upmarket then I'm afraid that you will have to pay for it.  Often the cruise lines you have mentioned will offer either free extras or special deals (Princess has a couple of packages which for a little extra per person per day includes drinks, wifi and gratuities).  Factor this into your search.  P&O may well include gratuities in their pricing (wish all ships did), but they've cut their extras down to the bone.  For example, especially as you are sailing with children, no free ice-cream, fruit juices only free and available at breakfast.  3 months later on the Queen Victoria these were available virtually 24/7 (only closed for cleaning!)

Only you know what you can afford and what is important to you as a family.  Whichever line you choose to sail with I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Visit cruiseplum and put your departure port as Southampton and your dates and cabin category.

You will see all cruises available.

You can rank by date or cheapest price per night including all port fees taxes and gratuity.

Edited by drsel