How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

Find your closest Nordstrom store and have a chat with the gent's department there.  They sell a Hart Schaffner Marx tux that won't break the bank for a garment that won't get much use, and the wool might be lightweight enough for him. 

Thank you we shall if my husband is inclined. He is off camping and fly fishing right now. We did look briefly at Saks, but they were far too stylish and yes the manakins were wearing sneakers with their tuxes....

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I don't get the sparkly top and black pants for formal either.

If we ever meet, I guess you will think I am under dressed.....oh well. I really am a nice person. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

The dress code can change during a voyage. When on the Moon for 54 days there was no dress code on the first segment. Then the Hotel director changed and from there the dress code was enforced.

And some passengers do indeed try to flout the rules. Have seen a fellow told by the Maitre'D  in Atlantide that he needs a tie to enter and offered one. but he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tie. The latest in wrinkled chic. Don't tell me he didn't know the dress code and always carries a tie in one pocket.

A great example of someone who knew the dress code and was trying to flout it.  There's only one reason he'd have a tie in his pocket, and that's because he knew that if he got called on it he didn't want to have to walk all the way back to his cabin for a tie.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

It's a tricky one - which is more important, being nice or being very well dressed?  It is possible to be both, of course.

Lola

They are not diametrically opposed.

14 hours ago, JSR said:

Thank you we shall if my husband is inclined. He is off camping and fly fishing right now. We did look briefly at Saks, but they were far too stylish and yes the manakins were wearing sneakers with their tuxes....

Nordstrom is having a sale right now…

18 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:
14 hours ago, JSR said:

Nordstrom is having a sale right now…

Thank you. Ahh I should run over for myself. Husband is off the grid for another 10 days…

48 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thank you. Ahh I should run over for myself. Husband is off the grid for another 10 days…

Be sure you can return anything if the fit isn't right or a tailor can't work with it.

29 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Be sure you can return anything if the fit isn't right or a tailor can't work with it.

I’m won’t buy a tux without him. I was going to go look at dresses. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

There’s always Brooks Brothers. The classic and iconic.

LOL, they are down to about 135 stores from 450 I believe.  So "always" might be to strong a word.

FWIW, i love their boxer shorts.  Hopefully have enough to last me till the end.

16 hours ago, JSR said:

His fly fishing attire should work.  It's a classic look.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

LOL, they are down to about 135 stores from 450 I believe.  So "always" might be to strong a word.

FWIW, i love their boxer shorts.  Hopefully have enough to last me till the end.

They went into bankruptcy a few years ago (no one buying business wear any longer?), but their online store still carries most everything.

My first suits were Brooks Brothers.  Classic charcoal grey and a classic dark blue.  What every young man should have starting out.  At least back in the early 90's.

• Like 3