How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I guess I don't know the difference.  Based on many comments like this, there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "free" booze.  Could you explain what it is and how I should properly use the term?  [or is it just pedantic?]

My point was there is no such thing as free booze. As I wrote, there's no free lunch.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And since no one is confused by calling it "free" the repeated complaints about the usage are, as I surmised, pedantic.

Gee, no one ever on Cruise Critic has ever been pedantic! There are no amount of emojis that will help some people "get" it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I mentioned your post to my husband, and he's looking online to find a tuxedo. He's 6'4" and not fat, so it's hard to find upscale clothes that are for tall people who aren't obese.

A very inexpensive option (I used this for my son's first tux - he's 6' tall) is to buy the tux separates at After Six - www.dessy.com

You can buy a full tux for like $200, but those are poly blends.

Better thing is go down towards the bottom on the page and buy the Shawl collar jacket for $199 (please don't buy the Notch collar) and the separate pants for $79.  They are wool; and not bad.  You'll need to get the pants hemmed, but that way you'll know they will be the correct length and the waist is adjustable.

For under $300 you get the full tuxedo suit, in wool.  Of course, you'll need to pick up a shirt or two, tie, cummerbund or waist coat, studs, etc.   Most of those you can find online pretty inexpensively if you look.

Just tossing this out as an option.  I know there are probably other places on the Internet too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I own a tux from 30 (are?) years ago. It still hangs in my closet for reason I can't explain, but it no longer fits. In the past decade, I've needed a tux once for a formal wedding, and I rented one — because I wasn't sure I'd need to wear one again in the next 10 years. So my answer to your question is that it' has nothing to do with ease of putting on a tux, but everything to do with owning a tux that fits. (Also, technically, a tux should have proper dress shoes, which for me would be an extra pair of size 13W shoes to pack, which is non-trivial.)

See my post above.  You can pick up a new one for not too much money, if you are interested.

22 hours ago, mitz18 said:

I'm always amazed at how often this subject comes up on this board.  I don't need to read 10 pages of posts to know what was said.  "Why does it bother you if I don't wear a tie?".  "Why can't SS get with the program and move towards casual?".  " Why can't everyone else change to what I want?" "It's about me, me, me"

Considering the many options out there, it seems rather simple - choose the option that fits your style.  Don't pick a Disney cruise and complain about kids.  Don't pick Carnival and complain about belly flop contests and loud crowds.  And DON'T pick Silversea and complain about dress codes.  Move on......

Come for the information and tips, stay for the entertainment.  OR, dont come and complain at all. 😂

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Formal nights are when many people look cheap.

I wouldn't say many.  I'd say some.  Many people actually look quite elegant and/or distinguished.

You may see a few folks in ill-fitting gowns or tuxedos/suits, but I think that is more the exception than the rule.  And I'll at least give them credit for trying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

A very inexpensive option (I used this for my son's first tux - he's 6' tall) is to buy the tux separates at After Six - www.dessy.com

You can buy a full tux for like $200, but those are poly blends.

Better thing is go down towards the bottom on the page and buy the Shawl collar jacket for $199 (please don't buy the Notch collar) and the separate pants for $79.  They are wool; and not bad.  You'll need to get the pants hemmed, but that way you'll know they will be the correct length and the waist is adjustable.

For under $300 you get the full tuxedo suit, in wool.  Of course, you'll need to pick up a shirt or two, tie, cummerbund or waist coat, studs, etc.   Most of those you can find online pretty inexpensively if you look.

Just tossing this out as an option.  I know there are probably other places on the Internet too.

Surely the dress-up crowd with the real tuxes and bespoke shirts will sneer at anyone wearing a bargain basement tux. That must be a much more serious violation of "standards" than, say, sports coat and tie.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

My point was there is no such thing as free booze. As I wrote, there's no free lunch.

And my point is that once I'm onboard there is no charge for the booze, so it is "free."

3 hours ago, pavementends said:

Surely the dress-up crowd with the real tuxes and bespoke shirts will sneer at anyone wearing a bargain basement tux. That must be a much more serious violation of "standards" than, say, sports coat and tie.

No,at least they are trying and can get garments altered to fit.

Those that don't try have given up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pavementends said:

I've seen their tuxedos, and they are respectable.  The vents on the jacket are on the side, rather than the single vent that business suits have, so that's acceptable.  The only problem is the jacket pockets do have flaps, but if you just tuck them into the pocket no one can tell.  Anyone wearing one will fit in just fine.

No one can also tell whether shirts are bespoke or not, as long as you buy a decent turn-down collar, cotton tuxedo shirt that's fitted properly.  Tuxedo shirts shouldn't be monogramed, unless maybe in a white on white monogram which no one would be able to notice anyways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Formal nights are when many people look cheap.

I know that I look much better in a hand made suit or tux than I do trying to look casual.

Most men are not good at casual attire and tend to look scruffy. 

It is difficult but us men look our best when we scrub up.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I know that I look much better in a hand made suit or tux than I do trying to look casual.

Most men are not good at casual attire and tend to look scruffy. 

It is difficult but us men look our best when we scrub up.

With very few exceptions, just follow James Bond's lead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

And I'd say you have already paid for it, but if you want to think of it as free, be my guest!

No, RonWL is paying for my drinks – so they really are free!

21 hours ago, RonWL said:

Since my wife and I do not drink, we didn't book Regent.  Now all luxury lines have "free booze," so we're buying everyone drinks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RonWL said:

Exactly....  That's why I put "free" in quotation marks....  

Just a quick query.  You mentioned Regent.  How about Seabourn?  Anyone cruise with them?  How does that line compare with Silversea?

We looked at Seabourn but we didn't find an itinerary that we liked at a time of year we wanted. My brother found the Silversea cruise from Barbados to Barbados through the Southern Caribbean, up the Amazon and back, and it's easy to fly from Florida to Barbados. All 3 of us enjoyed this cruise, and having a Silver Suite allowed the 3 of us to dine in our cabin on one of the formal required nights. My brother had his own veranda suite cabin, and enjoyed it when he wasn't enjoying our much larger cabin with us.

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

No,at least they are trying and can get garments altered to fit.

Those that don't try have given up.

And the light isn't very bright in the dining rooms for dinner. No one will see the quality of your suit or tuxedo, or of your "dressy" dress. You just need to try to meet the dress code, and you will have no problem.

As far as drinks being "free" or "included", they're included in your fare. If you don't drink wine or cocktails, then you are subsidizing the rest of us. The same is often true for excursions which are sometimes "included" and sometimes not and charged extra for. If excursions aren't included, they're often quite expensive and can really add up.

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

No one can also tell whether shirts are bespoke or not, as long as you buy a decent turn-down collar, cotton tuxedo shirt that's fitted properly.

I hope you will forgive my penchant for the much-maligned wing collars of yore. I choose them in remembrance of the all-but-dead white tie kit, which had the wing collar.

Added bonus: If I have cause to remove my jacket, the wing collar shows the world I tie my own damn tie. No hook-and-eye closure!

(Also, please excuse my insouciant expression. My wife asked for an insolent pose.)

Double-Breasted.thumb.jpg.5d93fc5c268fd9693d15ef2653c5348b.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, no1talks said:

I hope you will forgive my penchant for the much-maligned wing collars of yore. I choose them in remembrance of the all-but-dead white tie kit, which had the wing collar.

Added bonus: If I have cause to remove my jacket, the wing collar shows the world I tie my own damn tie. No hook-and-eye closure!

(Also, please excuse my insouciant expression. My wife asked for an insolent pose.)

Double-Breasted.thumb.jpg.5d93fc5c268fd9693d15ef2653c5348b.jpg

A Gentleman should never remove his jacket unless he was on deck with a lady and she felt cold.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Dress code update. 

a guy just came into the Arts Cafe in his bathrobe 

must be a trend. 
on my last regent cruise a woman came to work on the jigsaw puzzle every day in her bathrobe 

Perhaps they are the arty type.

Salvador Dali was an eccentric although he always seemed well dressed.

I would have to ask these guests if they had lost their luggage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1