How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Of course he should cruise ss. All he has to do is avoid Atlantide on formal nights. He does not need a suit or a tie. 

Or any of us could just sit in the dingy trailing behind the ship, since we aren't welcome in Atlantide.  That's what I meant by 'run of the ship' – access to any venue any night, without standing at attention for inspection by the dress Sergeant!

2 hours ago, bitob said:

We agree. You don’t need anything more than a sport jacket on ss as long as you don’t dine in Atlantide on formal nights. 

we do black tie on Cunard because we want to. It’s the norm. Totally different vibe 

And we do black tie on Silverseas  because we want to,   I dont understand  why you will  do  formal  wear on  Cunard   ....  but NOT on Silversea !! 

• Like 1

100% black tie and gowns on Cunard. It’s their tradition. It’s special 

handful of tuxes and gowns on silversea

exception. Not the rule 

nice to have choices

Edited by bitob

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Or any of us could just sit in the dingy trailing behind the ship, since we aren't welcome in Atlantide.  That's what I meant by 'run of the ship' – access to any venue any night, without standing at attention for inspection by the dress Sergeant!

You have access to all other venues. Why would I want to go to Atlantide if I’ve already dined elsewhere on the ship?

11 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Then maybe you shouldn't be booking on Silversea, since formal nights list suits as an option, but not blazer.  To us, a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, which we would not bother bringing on a cruise since we would only rent a tuxedo for a special event at home. The need for a tuxedo otherwise is so rare that a different size would usually be needed, and on a cruise, a much larger size might be needed by the end of a long cruise. The suit jacket can always be left unbuttoned by the end of the cruise, and would be less noticeable than an unbuttoned tuxedo jacket.

Perhaps you misunderstood me.  I have cruised Silversea several times; for formal nights I bring one or two of my dinner jackets.  I would never wear a suit on the formal night; I'm happy to be in the ever-dwindling percentage of men wearing black tie on a formal night.  On the other nights, a blazer is sufficient.

I don't understand why a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, other than the fact that a person might not own a tuxedo but they own a suit.  Then of course I understand bringing what you own instead of renting a tux.  Although I will note that buying a tuxedo need not cost an arm and a leg; you can often find great deals out there. 

But otherwise, it really takes very little additional time to dress in a tuxedo than it does to put on a suit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Perhaps you misunderstood me.  I have cruised Silversea several times; for formal nights I bring one or two of my dinner jackets.  I would never wear a suit on the formal night; I'm happy to be in the ever-dwindling percentage of men wearing black tie on a formal night.  On the other nights, a blazer is sufficient.

I don't understand why a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, other than the fact that a person might not own a tuxedo but they own a suit.  Then of course I understand bringing what you own instead of renting a tux.  Although I will note that buying a tuxedo need not cost an arm and a leg; you can often find great deals out there. 

But otherwise, it really takes very little additional time to dress in a tuxedo than it does to put on a suit.

I'm with you Rothko. Why go to the half ar$ed effort of packing a suit which is neither here or there. Suits are fine for interviews and court appearances but not for dinner. It's not 1987 any more. If you're making the effort then make the effort. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I'm with you Rothko. Why go to the half ar$ed effort of packing a suit which is neither here or there. Suits are fine for interviews and court appearances but not for dinner. It's not 1987 any more. If you're making the effort then make the effort. 

A tuxedo takes up no more room than a suit.  And it really takes no longer to put on than a suit (I suppose you could argue that it takes longer to put in the studs and cufflinks than buttons, but that is de minimis).  It takes no longer to tie a bow tie than a regular tie [please please please never wear a pre-tied bow tie!!].  Putting braces on instead of a belt takes about the same amount of time.  I guess it takes a few additional seconds to put on the waistcoat or the cummerbund, but again, that's de minimis.

So I don't buy into the argument that wearing a tuxedo is more work or takes any longer to get dressed.

17 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

cufflinks than buttons

Are you suggesting that cufflinks are not worn with a suit? I obviously have been doing this wrong for the last 50 years - and yes I did wear cufflinks with my suit at work.

26 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

It takes no longer to tie a bow tie than a regular tie ...

Am sure I can generate a perfect full Windsor faster than anyone I know can do the same with a bow tie.  The latter always seems to require a bit of tweaking to get real perfection... well, according to my wife, anyway, who insists on doing the tweaking!

49 minutes ago, david63 said:

Are you suggesting that cufflinks are not worn with a suit? I obviously have been doing this wrong for the last 50 years - and yes I did wear cufflinks with my suit at work.

That's a good point.  A French cuff shirt can be worn with a suit; although you see less of those these days (along with less suits in general).

38 minutes ago, canderson said:

Am sure I can generate a perfect full Windsor faster than anyone I know can do the same with a bow tie.  The latter always seems to require a bit of tweaking to get real perfection... well, according to my wife, anyway, who insists on doing the tweaking!

It's the imperfections that make the bow tie special.  An easy way to tell the pre-tied ties from the real ones.

I Have most of my shirts tailored from a great online company. itailor.com You design everything yourself and it keeps your measurements. Really nice quality. They have all sorts of options for collars, cuffs, pleats, details, monograms and so on. I usually go for a French 2 button collar and a French round double cuff but it does depend on the fabric. The quality is superb (especially the Egyptian cotton).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm always amazed at how often this subject comes up on this board.  I don't need to read 10 pages of posts to know what was said.  "Why does it bother you if I don't wear a tie?".  "Why can't SS get with the program and move towards casual?".  " Why can't everyone else change to what I want?" "It's about me, me, me"

Considering the many options out there, it seems rather simple - choose the option that fits your style.  Don't pick a Disney cruise and complain about kids.  Don't pick Carnival and complain about belly flop contests and loud crowds.  And DON'T pick Silversea and complain about dress codes.  Move on......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I only have double cuff shirts which require cufflinks.

Much better look and finish 

46 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Have most of my shirts tailored from a great online company. itailor.com You design everything yourself and it keeps your measurements. Really nice quality. They have all sorts of options for collars, cuffs, pleats, details, monograms and so on. I usually go for a French 2 button collar and a French round double cuff but it does depend on the fabric. The quality is superb (especially the Egyptian cotton).

Turnbull and Asser is my shirtmaker

• Like 2

I haven't worn even a sport coat for 4 years, let alone a suit and tie.  This upcoming cruise will be much more nostalgic (not sure if that's good or bad) than I anticipated.  I had to take the jacket in for cleaning.  We hate checking bags - especially when arriving near midnight after a flight with stops along the way, so I bought a garment bag (wonder if I'll ever use that again) and have arranged to have it shipped to the Silver Shadow.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Turnbull and Asser is my shirtmaker

I Do miss Jermyn St. North Wales, as beautiful as it is, falls a little short when it comes to tailoring or indeed fashion houses. We do have a working woollen mill in Trefriw though. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Do miss Jermyn St. North Wales, as beautiful as it is, falls a little short when it comes to tailoring or indeed fashion houses. We do have a working woollen mill in Trefriw though. 

And Huw Edwards 

• Like 1