How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

If Silversea is going to become a "no dress code" line, I don't see why they would want to invest additional dollars in the decor of their ships and restaurants onboard.  

A more relaxed dress code like formal optional is way easier to enforce imo. Look at regent grandeur. Ultra luxe ship. No tie required 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

Though i do giggle when people say so and so line has no dress code. Here is what I found for the beloved Crystal.

Crystal Cruises

The Code: Crystal has formal, informal and casual dress codes. After 6 p.m., casual daytime attire is not appropriate. Shorts and baseball caps are not permitted for men or women. Black Tie Optional evenings offer passengers the opportunity to dress formally: jackets are required for men (dark suits with ties or tuxedos are recommended), and formal cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy evening separates are recommended for women.

Where on earth did you find that write up? The "old" Crystal had not had a 3 tier dress code in a number of years before bankruptcy. The dress code before bankruptcy had been a "country club casual" most nights and a formal optional for a few nights, never on 7 night cruises. There is controversy on the Crystal board about what the new dress code will actually be, but all will be revealed July 31.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

"It's my money, no one can tell me how I dress and what I do."

Well, if someone wanted to be a jerk about the wedding scenario you offered, they could use the same rationale, hypothetically.

"I brought a gift worth thousands of dollars to this wedding reception, so I'll dress how I like!"

😬

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

Though there are more restaurants on a Silversea ship that don't require formal wear on formal nights. Only 3 that you should wear formal wear on formal nights but hardly ever strictly enforced.

And those restaurants are only requiring / suggesting formal wear for 2 nights on a 14 day cruise. So people who dislike formal wear can have their choice of not having formal wear at all restaurants for 12 of the 14 nights and at the majority of restaurants on the ship on the other 2 nights.

But you want to deny people who appreciate and still enjoy dressing up their 2 nights to do so.

Never said people should be denied their choice to dress up. 
I have been on Crystal in the Caribbean and a jacket was not required. It was resort casual and above. It was lovely. Lots of people dressed to the nines commingling with those in smart linen outfits. 

we are booked on SS and if nothing changes we will pack the required blazer for my husband and he will likely wear it to the table and hang it over the chair like many do already. We will play by the rules so we can experience the wonderful itinerary. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Well, if someone wanted to be a jerk about the wedding scenario you offered, they could use the same rationale, hypothetically.

"I brought a gift worth thousands of dollars to this wedding reception, so I'll dress how I like!"

😬

I suppose so.  Although one would think that any person with that type of attitude would have been excluded from the guest list a long time ago.

37 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Standards are crumbling. 

You think it's bad on SS, did you see the recent Wall Street Journal poll about office fashion rules?  A slim majority believe baseball caps and shorts are work appropriate apparel.  I'm so old, I remember when casual Friday meant we could wear Polos and Dockers. 😀

BTW... the only office fashion faux pas according to the masses were flip-flops (what Dr. Ron calls "thongs" which is a whole other subject matter for Americans) where 54% of the survey respondents said they were never appropriate in the office.  Whew!  At least we got that going for us.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 3

I have no problem with enforced casual elegance or country club resort in the dining room, and I wear a dress or skirt and blouse for dinner every night.  My concern is the slippery slope.  If you don't enforce the dress code you have, soon people will be showing up in flip flops (thongs) and wife beaters.  I do not want to see some body's tats, hairy armpits or yellowed fungus-y toenails.  That WILL put me off my dinner.  How hard is it to enforce a dress code?  Geez.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Why doesn't casual dress impact the dining experience in land restaurants in many parts of the world?  Why should you expect formal dress on a ship, when you never see it on land?

Not sure why it seems so hard to understand the dislike of a class system.  Wear a suit and you can dine anywhere anytime; wear a sport coat on formal night and [according to the rules] you can only dine at the kids' table.  You don't see why that gets me steamed?

You can wear a sport coat, slacks and tie in any venue on formal night and though the fashion police will be clutching their pearls you will not be ejected from any venue including La Dame.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, canderson said:

First, there are events where some people DO see formal dress on land, and still a few restaurants where a jacket and tie (minimum) are still the norm. 

Second, try NOT to think of a formal night venue limitation as a class system, but instead as an invitation to a  special event to be held in a particular set of venues -- since that is really what this is. 

It would be equally peculiar were you to show up in JUST your everyday best if invited to a good old fashioned 'fancy dress' party (British version).  By accepting the invitation, it's assumed you'll dress accordingly, else it rather misses the point of the event as planned by the host.  Elvis impersonators welcome.  Savile Row, not so much.

Formal nights on SS aren’t really a special event.  I’ve never noticed anything special on the menu nor any special entertainment.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And is it ok for men to wear baseball caps inside the dining venues? 

Perhaps it happens but it seems the old guard is quick to equate any relaxing of the suggested attire to a descent into the likes of a Carnival cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2023 at 3:17 AM, irvington said:

This seems more loaded here for men and not women. Any thoughts about why?

It's easier because many dress styles exist for women, whereas menswear is limited. Also, you can take a simple LBD or black gown and transform it with eveningwear accessories.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bellanina said:

It's easier because many dress styles exist for women, whereas menswear is limited. Also, you can take a simple LBD or black gown and transform it with eveningwear accessories.

Right:  formal wear is an invitation for women to show their style, whereas it requires men to ditch their personal style and dress like the 1950s.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2023 at 3:31 AM, irvington said:

Love this, men's emotional reaction to ties. 😃 We won't discuss all the things women go through in the name of beauty (let alone to bring life in the world). More seriously, I do think women's dressy fashion is more elastic these days (no pun intended). I think we should give men that grace too while still expecting both/all genders to look fabulous on occasion. 😅

Spanx for saying this !

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Right:  formal wear is an invitation for women to show their style, whereas it requires men to ditch their personal style and dress like the 1950s.

You mean like this?

th?id=OIP.iQu5L9iKFxbV2KvatQ-2SgHaEe&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

You mean like this?

th?id=OIP.iQu5L9iKFxbV2KvatQ-2SgHaEe&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

Yes, and I will never look like that.  So I would prefer to do my own look that suits me better.  [BTW I don't wear t-shirts or shorts, don't own thongs, and don't wear baseball caps indoors.  'My style' is country club casual – navy dress slacks, collared golf ****, pink or patterned dress shirts, leather shoes (with socks of course), maybe a silk blend sport coat.  No tie choking my neck.]

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, and I will never look like that.  So I would prefer to do my own look that suits me better.

Cool!  Then sail on any number of other cruise lines, or better yet, sail on Silversea and wear whatever look suits you best on a formal night and just make plans to not dine in Atlantide, The Restaurant, or La Dame and this way hopefully you'll be comfortable since Silversea offers many other venues that you'll enjoy while wearing your personal style. 

Is this good enough to end your continued complaints about this topic?  Or, is it your belief that Silversea should accommodate you wherever you wish to dine on a formal evening regardless of dress code?

• Like 2

Because the policy on board is to ignore those who ignore the dress code. Once a passenger sees that he has no incentive to dress up on the next formal night 

a rule that is not enforced is not a rule at all 

if some lone asked me about the dress code on this ship, I would tell them what is stated but also that there is no enforcement 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Is this good enough to end your continued complaints about this topic?  Or, is it your belief that Silversea should accommodate you wherever you wish to dine on a formal evening regardless of dress code?

No, but it is clear that the pro-formal wear and anti-formal wear camps will never be able to agree on a compromise here on Cruise Critic.  So I will comply (minimally) with the Silversea rules in January and then enjoy the several non-formal cruises and trips I have booked in 2024-25.  Maybe by 2026 Silversea will have moved to a modern dress code or, unlike Arnold, "I won't be back."  In any case, I won't be back on this thread.  Basta

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, but it is clear that the pro-formal wear and anti-formal wear camps will never be able to agree on a compromise here on Cruise Critic.  So I will comply (minimally) with the Silversea rules in January and then enjoy the several non-formal cruises and trips I have booked in 2024-25.  Maybe by 2026 Silversea will have moved to a modern dress code or, unlike Arnold, "I won't be back."  In any case, I won't be back on this thread.  Basta

I think many would agree with your post, minimally comply until things change, which will happen eventually. Thanks for your for input as it is always balance and lacks attacks or aggression. Others could learn a thing or two. 

• Like 1