Semi-live review - Reflection 10 nights Malta and Greek Islands - 17 July 2023

Les43

As I said before, we're doing this same itinerary next summer, but so excited to hear you got a CS! We have sailed from veranda to penthouse and the Celebrity Suite fits us best so that adds even more interest for me to follow along! We currently have an aft concierge booked to enjoy the aft views and the sail away from the ports but will be interested to hear what you think about the view from your balcony. Are you on the front or back of the hump? 

Following too. Been on all the S ships but Reflexion.  Lucky you in a CS.

Recently sailed out of Civitavecchia on the Enchanted Princess but got in the day before as been to Rome couple of times. 

We flew into Fiumincino with British Airways from LHR on an 8ish flight. Queues for passport control was massive for non -EU. Also the queue for taxis was massive but we fortunately had a booking with RomeInLimo. €180 for a hour transfer. Got to port at 2pm. Stayed at the very basic Hotel Traghetto which is almost opposite the coach stop for transfers for the ships.

I would recommend an arranged transfer if people are coming in that day. 

We have arrived safely in Rome and it is scorchio! We left home at 4am and arrived at Edinburgh airport to long check in queues. It didn’t take too long to check in our bags and head to the departure lounge. We had a quick coffee and marvelled at those who were enjoying lots of alcohol at that time in the morning! The flight left on time and although Ryanair is a budget airline and renowned for issues, it was a good flight with no issues. We collected our bags and the taxi transfer was waiting. It took just over half an hour to get in to Rome and the traffic was a little crazy. 

We got to our accommodation around noon and thankfully our room was ready. It’s a very spacious suite with an outside terrace. I managed to take a few photographs before we made a mess! The air conditioning works well thankfully as it’s 36C outside and pretty sticky!  

After unpacking, we headed out to have a wander - we made it the Trevi fountain, the Parthenon and the Piazzo Narvona with a few stops along the way to refuel. We also tried some pizza and beer - why not? when in Rome! 

The heat is incredible for us pale-skinned Scots so we will need to plan carefully tomorrow. t will be an early night for us tonight after such an early start. 

I am still learning how to create this blog so bear with me while I try to fix the photographs. 

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1340.jpeg

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1336.jpeg

Edited by Les43
  • Like 13

Les43 just looking at the forecast for Italy and lots of that area 🥵 so hot! Have the best of times though! Just 7weeks to we leave we are flying from Manchester but Glasgow or Edinburgh would be around the same 3hour trip.Can’t wait😊😊

9 hours ago, Les43 said:

Can anyone advise on uploading photos from an iPad? Is it possible to space them out throughout the text? 

From what I've read, you just need to add a "return" in between adding each photo to keep them separated.

Good luck!  Will be on her in November.

• Like 1

Looking forward to following along. . We were on the Reflection sailing on a similar itinerary last summer. We have been to Rome numerous times previously both on city breaks and port stops. Last year we still needed Covid tests so stayed in Civitavecchia  pre cruise as it was more convenient for testing. The ship and the staff were fantastic and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

We are  back on the Silhouette in September sailing out of Southampton doing the Canaries and Portugal, so looking forward to that.

Edited by bluwes

2 hours ago, cruzfiend said:

Following along...we are on the Equinox next Sept. this exact itinerary. Your hotel looks very nice. Enjoy 😎

I would definitely recommend our suites. Large rooms, fantastic air-con and a lovely breakfast brought to your room ❤️

Day 2 in Rome. 

We slept very well last night and awoke at our leisure. The bed was really comfortable with memory foam mattresses and pillows. My sleep app told me I slept,for,10 and a half hoursThe suites we are staying in provide a continental breakfast delivered to you room which you can enjoy on your terrace. At 9.30am, the Rome temperatures were already rising and it felt like it was going to be a hot day. 

We headed out for a leisurely stroll around 10.30am and wandered to the Spanish steps. It was very busy! We then wandered around the shopping streets and found ourselves back at Piazza Navona for a cool drink. The temperature today has been around 34C but cloudy and humid. The forecast is predicting even hotter temperatures in the coming days. 

We are planning on a stroll to the Vatican City tomorrow.

I still haven’t mastered the photos yet but hopefully this gives a flavour of our wandering! 

Lesley 

IMG_1347.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

Edited by Les43
  • Like 13

Enjoy Rome! Pictures are great! We are traveling with you in anticipation of our August 5th sailing on Reflection. BTW . . . We visited Edinburgh and Scotland in May to see Harry Styles. Loved Scotland and hope to return in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post. Safe travels!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Not sure if this will still be in place when we dock in Athens next Thursday. Due to the excessive heat the Acropolis is currently closed to visitors from noon until 5 pm.

Thats a shame, but its quite strenuous and no shade, so probably best avoided in heat wave! 
There is a lovely taverna in the Plaka area called Gods Restaurant, with a shaded terrace and excellent greek food. In the past we have also taken a taxi to Cape Sounion, and seen the temple of Poseidon. 

Cannot wait to hear more from your report! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 3 in Rome

We slept very well again last night -very comfortable beds and good air conditioning. We had breakfast on our terrace again and even at 9.30am, the temperatures were already rising. The continental breakfast is ideal and sets us up well for the day.  We had decided to wander to the Vatican City today. We have visited before so we didn’t book a tour this time. Our route took us down past the Trevi fountain - very busy and the fountains were not yet switched on. We then passed the Pantheon and then on to our favourite spot at Piazza Navone. We stopped here for coffee and water and chose a shady spot. We have been surprised by the number of street traders and beggars on the streets and have watched a few Police chases too. The Police don’t seem to really try to catch them, it’s more a case of cat and mouse! We do love sitting in cafes watching the world go by!

After our rehydration break, we continued towards the Vatican, crossing the Ponte St’Angello. We were very glad of our sun hats as by then the sun was very strong ( we are pale skinned Scots)! After arriving at St Peter’s Basillica, we had a wander around and took some photographs of the amazing architecture. We stopped for a light lunch a few streets away and then began the meander back towards the centre. By this time the temperature was circa 34 /35C and very hot and sticky. Rome is incredibly busy and that along with the close proximity of the buildings means there is very little air. Us Scots really are not used to this weather!

Since we arrived on Wednesday, we have developed a pleasant routine of eating late afternoon and then heading back to our accommodation to cool off and relax. Today we stopped at a restaurant close to the Pantheon and enjoyed some delicious pasta and a bottle of rose wine. I had the risotto fruiti de mare and my DH had ravioli (no photo of his, he was too fast). 

Hard to believe that tomorrow is Saturday and not long now until embarkation on Monday. So glad we came to Rome several days early as the Italian air traffic controller strikes this weekend are causing havoc with some flights in. 

Tomorrow we plan to wander to the Colloseum. More from me after that! 

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1363.jpeg

Edited by Les43
  • Like 6

Personally, I like the photos that do not have spacing, unless of course you are explaining each one.  to me, the photos are more of a collage that flows together...

Even with the heat, sounds like both of you have a good plan and it is not hindering your trip!😄  looking forward to more of your experiences and photos however you choose to frame them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Personally, I like the photos that do not have spacing, unless of course you are explaining each one.  to me, the photos are more of a collage that flows together...

Even with the heat, sounds like both of you have a good plan and it is not hindering your trip!😄  looking forward to more of your experiences and photos however you choose to frame them.

Thank you. I have decided just to run the photos together so glad you like them that way! 

Great review and love that you both are taking everything in your stride…..yes, weather is very hot  but you are being very sensible and taking lots of hydration breaks. Following along as we will be on the Reflection this October 1st time. Will definitely consider your hotel for our next Rome break.