Getting some duct tape while on board

My lovely wife commented that we should bring some duct tape with us when our luggage gets old and battered in the far future.

But I was wondering, has anyone here ever asked a cabin steward or someone else for duct tape?

If you have actually done this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

My lovely wife commented that we should bring some duct tape with us when our luggage gets old and battered in the far future.

But I was wondering, has anyone here ever asked a cabin steward or someone else for duct tape?

If you have actually done this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

NEVER ever use Duct Tape, particularly if you’re thinking of removing it. Way too messy.

What you want for a temporary repair is what you’ll easily find in the Entertainment Dept. on your cruise ship (just ask to borrow some). It’s called Gaffer Tape and it’s what they use to tape down wires and other stuff that needs to stay put. It’s just as strong as duct tape but without the mess. As you might expect, it’s also more expensive. 
Check it our at your local hardware store.

• Thanks 1

No, but I have about 5 feet of duct tape round around a business card in my wallet at all times. It's SHOCKING how many times it's come in useful -- from taping my best friend's car back together on her wedding day, to emergency backpack repair to treating blisters in the absence of any better options. Don't leave home without it.

• Like 1

I have no personal experience, but I have read, here on Cruise Critic, that passengers have been able to get minor repairs to their luggage through their room steward.  I do not know what cruise line(s). nor do I know if this is a chargeable or a complimentary service.  At minimum I assume that the room steward would be tipped appropriately.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

The duct tape is about 1/8th of an inch, all told -- way less than all the annoying loyalty cards (and money!) I have to carry.

I wrap some around a pencil have had it for a few years have never needed it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a product called tenacious tape.  Comes in a small plastic tube smaller than a candy bar.  Serious strong stuff and great for patching rips.  I have a patch on my large case that has held on for 15 years.  I have used duct tape on the case cover for my sport gear and it does not hold up at all

Edited by Meander Ingwa
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

NEVER ever use Duct Tape, particularly if you’re thinking of removing it. Way too messy ... 

I assume that if your luggage is so far gone that you must use duct tape to limp it home, you'll be throwing it away /won't care about the mess. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 4:53 PM, SimplyMarvie said:

No, but I have about 5 feet of duct tape round around a business card in my wallet at all times. It's SHOCKING how many times it's come in useful -- from taping my best friend's car back together on her wedding day, to emergency backpack repair to treating blisters in the absence of any better options. Don't leave home without it.

I've lived more than 50 years and haven't needed duct tape yet in all my travels.  Maybe I'll suddenly discover a variety of uses for it tomorrow -- but I doubt it.  

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I assume that if your luggage is so far gone that you must use duct tape to limp it home, you'll be throwing it away /won't care about the mess. 

Unless, of course, you have luggage with lifetime warranties for repair/replacement.

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Warranty void if duct tape is used?  😀

Well not so much void the warranty. A company like Briggs &Riley will certainly do the repair to their manufactured item. But, there’s no guarantee that they be able to (or expected to) remove the gooey mess left by duct tape removal. 
For a few bucks more, gaffer tape is the far better choice for no muss/no fuss.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Well not so much void the warranty. A company like Briggs &Riley will certainly do the repair to their manufactured item. But, there’s no guarantee that they be able to (or expected to) remove the gooey mess left by duct tape removal. 
For a few bucks more, gaffer tape is the far better choice for no muss/no fuss.

I understand and agree with you.  It was just tongue I cheek.  

10 minutes ago, JRG said:

Maybe better to "Have it and Not Need it rather than Need it and Not Have It"

As the saying goes.

Exactly. I've only ever used it once for luggage, but have used it several times for shoes, purses, cars and blisters. Plus, there's an almost Douglas Adams like cachet to being able to whip out the duct tape and problem solve. It's a bit like touring the galaxy with your towel. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We did make use of duct tape while on a Proncess cruise in the Med. Final night packing one of the latches broke so no way to securely close suitcase (full disclosure  - it was my DS not mine, I have zippers). Called Cabin Steward who had her do a final check to be sure everything she wanted was in there then duct taped it shut. Suitcase made it from Barcelona to Chicago and ultimately on to DFW w/duct tape intact. I did feel a bit like I'd been adopted by the Clampetts. 

I asked several employees for duct tape (since they didn't sell it in any of the shops) when my suitcase broke, but nobody could get me any.  I always carry a small roll now. 

The flight attendants had duct tape once when I really needed it.  I had broken a bone in my foot while on vacation and my foot swelled up so badly during a transatlantic flight that I couldn't get my shoe back on.  They cut my shoe open and reconstructed it with duct tape so that it was big enough to accommodate my foot.  Then they decorated the other shoe to make the two look more alike.  Bless 'em!  

Duct tape is like The Force.....it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together. 

You can buy travel size duct tape,  Here’s one available on Amazon.  A search will turn up more. We always keep a roll in our carryon.  

There’s the old adage: If it moves but it shouldn’t, use duct tape.  If it doesn’t move but it should, use WD-40.  😊

IMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.8dc255d3e088ddd16a16b32a20ca11fe.jpeg

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You can buy travel size duct tape,  Here’s one available on Amazon.  A search will turn up more. We always keep a roll in our carryon.  

There’s the old adage: If it moves but it shouldn’t, use duct tape.  If it doesn’t move but it should, use WD-40.  😊

IMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.8dc255d3e088ddd16a16b32a20ca11fe.jpeg

Your local Ace hardware might have, and at a good price.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/heating-and-cooling/thermostats-and-heating-supplies/duct-tape/4787966?store=16678&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4OlubXKgAMVyxmtBh0ZTwo9EAQYAyABEgKW0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds