What to bring in my wallet

MoBro713

2 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I have photocopies, in triplicate, of every document I could ever imagine I might need or could be asked for and carry it all in a backpack on all excursions. Never hurts to be fully prepared! 

😄

giant-backpack.jpg

Sometimes my backpack feels like this!

But seriously, I carry a folder with a hard copy of everything I could need.  A few years ago, my phone would not bring up a full picture of the QR code I needed to get into Greece (despite all the things I tried to get it right).  I used my paper copy.  
I ditch things as we use them, until all we are left with is the flight reservations home.  You’d think my pack would be a little lighter, but I do acquire stuff too.

5 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

A few years ago, my phone would not bring up a full picture of the QR code I needed to get into Greece (despite all the things I tried to get it right).  I used my paper copy.

And remember to recognize the difference between storage "in the cloud" vs on your device.

The former is useless unless you have connectivity at that moment.

Too many of us take the ubiquitous connectivity we have at home for granted, and think they can get the same access everywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I have photocopies, in triplicate, of every document I could ever imagine I might need or could be asked for and carry it all in a backpack on all excursions. Never hurts to be fully prepared! 

😄

giant-backpack.jpg

I need your backpack!  We are taking a land trip to Africa next month and are being sent duffle bags and have a total allowance of 33lbs....  Tell me how can I do that??  Glad Viking has no weight limit.

8 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

But seriously, I carry a folder with a hard copy of everything I could need.  A few years ago, my phone would not bring up a full picture of the QR code I needed to get into Greece (despite all the things I tried to get it right).  I used my paper copy. 

I store the documents in a cloud, then on the phone I set them for "offline access". Then I turn off Internet and verify they are actually available off-line. (Part of my "prepare for a trip" checklist.)

Note that "offline access" doesn't mean that the phone won't try to fetch them. If my phone has a bad Internet connection it might think it can check for an updated version and not load the version on the phone. There have been times when I needed to turn off Internet on the phone to see the documents.

In Britain last fall, many (most) places took Apple Pay. We could just tap our phone or watch. We carried a backup card just in case. And our health insurance cards, which have a number to call when overseas. No driver’s license. 

14 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

😄

giant-backpack.jpg

What a great backpack, and so maneuverable. I guess you could always use it as a flotation device as well.  Where do you keep your forklift?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And remember to recognize the difference between storage "in the cloud" vs on your device.

The former is useless unless you have connectivity at that moment.

Too many of us take the ubiquitous connectivity we have at home for granted, and think they can get the same access everywhere else.

I normally take a screen shot of the code and leave it up in my photos, so it is easy access.  It wasn’t an online connection issue, I knew I wouldn't be able to pull the code without Wi-Fi.  
I don’t know why my phone was being stupid.  I was in a quickly moving line of people flashing codes.  When restarting my phone didn’t help, my paper copy was Plan B.  Afterwards, I restarted my phone again and it worked.  

14 hours ago, CannotSwim said:

I store the documents in a cloud, then on the phone I set them for "offline access". Then I turn off Internet and verify they are actually available off-line. (Part of my "prepare for a trip" checklist.)

Note that "offline access" doesn't mean that the phone won't try to fetch them. If my phone has a bad Internet connection it might think it can check for an updated version and not load the version on the phone. There have been times when I needed to turn off Internet on the phone to see the documents.

A screen shot leaves the QR code in photos, easily accessible (usually).  It’s how I went to the Maldives 5 months earlier, without a problem.  But for some reason, it didn’t work the time I needed it to work for Greece.

Remember to bring a driver's license with you if you're planning any excursions that require self-driving, e.g. 4x4 Jeep in Corfu.  We had to bring our driver's license down to the customer service desk the day before the tour and also bring it on the tour (or at least the person driving had to have it)

On 7/10/2023 at 8:25 AM, MoBro713 said:

What about my Covid vaccination card?

Thanks

I would bring it just in case. We can also access from our doctor's My Chart app.

Edited by rbslos18

On 7/10/2023 at 7:54 AM, MoBro713 said:

We will be on the British Isle Explorer cruise next month.  I'd like to leave most of what is in my wallet at home.  Other than my Mastercard and debit card, do I need to bring my drivers license or Blue Cross/Medicare cards?  American Express?  Any other items I should be carrying?  When you visit a port, do you have to bring your passport with you?

Thanks

We only bring Visa and Mastercard and keep all vital copies of credit cards and important information in 1Password. We bring our passport and Global  Entry cards.

I swear, there is never a clear answer to any question ever posted on here. Every answer has to conflict with the last one and so on.. I end up being more confused about a subject after I've read the thread than I was before.

1 hour ago, KaDarr said:

I swear, there is never a clear answer to any question ever posted on here. Every answer has to conflict with the last one and so on.. I end up being more confused about a subject after I've read the thread than I was before.

This, and it is only my humble opinion, is because we most often receive answers heavily weighted by opinion rather than factual information. YMMV

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

This, and it is only my humble opinion, is because we most often receive answers heavily weighted by opinion rather than factual information. YMMV

In the case of the original question there is no factual answer unless a country is specified, even then the answer is check that countries government website, and your own government's for travel advice, then act accordingly. 

Other answers are suggestions that the OP can evaluate for themselves, and yes, opinions vary. 

Some take lots and find it all useful, some take a credit card and a phone. The OP can evaluate the suggestions and go with what suits them