Birthday while on a cruise

Orlando Vic

1 minute ago, Orlando Vic said:

Does anyone know if Princess does anything special if you celebrate a birthday while on a cruise (e.g. complimentary specialty restaurant meal)?

maybe a happy birthday song and a small cake - enjoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

Does anyone know if Princess does anything special if you celebrate a birthday while on a cruise (e.g. complimentary specialty restaurant meal)?

If you register the birthday on your account as celebrating a special occasion, when you get on the ship and walk by the interactive screens, the medallion will recognize you and a cake and confetti will appear on the screen. It’s actually pretty cool.

IMG_1849.jpeg

• Like 6

We had:

Screens will say Happy Birthday

Surprise small dessert and multiple waiters singing Happy Birthday

Floral arrangement delivered to cabin from guest services (we had this at the start of cruise, from a guest services officer we've had on previous cruises - not on actual birthday). 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

You can request no singing if you prefer and still want the chocolate cake.  I am not sure if there is another choice if not a chocolate fan (I am but have not asked for a cake in very long time).  If you want the celebration cake, you can indicate some other celebration if not sailing during your birthday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We had:

Screens will say Happy Birthday

Surprise small dessert and multiple waiters singing Happy Birthday

Floral arrangement delivered to cabin from guest services (we had this at the start of cruise, from a guest services officer we've had on previous cruises - not on actual birthday). 

we've never gotten a floral arrangement for a birthday, anniversary, etc.  I did get one after I passed out on board when we got back to our cabin after being in medical for a few hours...🤔

and we've bought a couple and they are extremely nice.

We noted our anniversary on our cruise last week and sadly there was no recognition.  Another passenger was also celebrating their anniversary and had towel animals, rose petals, and banners in their room.  Seems to be hit or miss.  Go ahead an notate the birthday and hope for the best!

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

If you register the birthday on your account as celebrating a special occasion, when you get on the ship and walk by the interactive screens, the medallion will recognize you and a cake and confetti will appear on the screen. It’s actually pretty cool.

IMG_1849.jpeg

Where does this get "registered" or notated?  I've been surreptitiously checking everywhere in our upcoming res but, other than actually purchasing a package or gift, I don't see anywhere to advise them of a birthday while onboard.  

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Orlando Vic said:

If that was the case, everyone would celebrate their birthday on every cruise. It is the honor system, after all. 

we got the cake for our anniversary last cruise. No singing. This time it will be my birthday on disembarkation day. My TA moved it back a couple days. But I’m not expecting more than a piece of cake again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

If that was the case, everyone would celebrate their birthday on every cruise. It is the honor system, after all. 

we got the cake for our anniversary last cruise. No singing. This time it will be my birthday on disembarkation day. My TA moved it back a couple days. But I’m not expecting more than a piece of cake again. 

They knew exactly when the birthday we celebrated was, as they had our information on our passport. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Where does this get "registered" or notated?  I've been surreptitiously checking everywhere in our upcoming res but, other than actually purchasing a package or gift, I don't see anywhere to advise them of a birthday while onboard.  

Thanks for the help.

I've been looking for it too and can't find it. I believe it was under summary and you put in the special occasion, then the date you want.

This was back in September so maybe they are no longer doing it but I hope not because I have a big birthday cruise booked for 2024.

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

They knew exactly when the birthday we celebrated was, as they had our information on our passport. 

They have nothing in their records that contradicts the date I gave them for our anniversary which was actually 3 months before we sailed.  We shall see if they want to call me a liar or help me celebrate my birthday 2 days early. 

2 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

They have nothing in their records that contradicts the date I gave them for our anniversary which was actually 3 months before we sailed.  We shall see if they want to call me a liar or help me celebrate my birthday 2 days early. 

Birthday.  Last I checked, your anniversary is not on your passport. YMMV

1 minute ago, tonit964 said:

I've been looking for it too and can't find it. I believe it was under summary and you put in the special occasion, then the date you want.

This was back in September so maybe they are no longer doing it but I hope not because I have a big birthday cruise booked for 2024.

It was there a couple months ago. I answered with my actual birthday and then my TA changed it from disembarkation day to 2 days earlier as she knew they weren’t likely to stick a candle in my hash browns before throwing me off the ship. 

9 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Its now on the MedallionClass app under preferences:

Screenshot_20230711-124245_Princess.thumb.jpg.cd59a36a03c81317fbd0252f4ff9db6d.jpg

not sure where it is on the website or if its even there

Edited by Ombud

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Birthday.  Last I checked, your anniversary is not on your passport. YMMV

Of course it’s not. But the app asks for milestones which includes birthdays, anniversaries and a bunch of others as posted above. 

Edited by BamaVol

3 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

They once gave me a coupon for 10% off on a jewelry purchase over $100. Is that special? 🤣😂

• Haha 2

On one of our recent cruises, they offered me $50 off a spa treatment.  Since most spa treatments are well over $100, that was a no-go for me.

I was really disappointed to not get my yummy chocolate cake!

Typically you note any special celebrations (and the date you want to celebrate it) in the app profile.  Used to be about a 45 day window around the cruise but never enforced.  You will get a card in your cabin that you give to your waiter for small cake at dinner.  Cake isn't bad, but heavy dark chocolate.

Not really lol. I celebrated my birthday on our first Sea Day for our May Alaska cruise. 

I added my birthday on the cruise planner ahead of time but basically just got the special door greeter when my medallion opened my room door.

The wait staff did sing to me at dinner (per my husband's request).

as others have said you can tell them you are celebrating your birthday even if it is not during your cruise. there are never good cruises from our local port around my birthday so I celebrate when I can. 

I have gotten all the way from nothing, to free beverage when I was by a bar & the bartender noticed it on their screen, $40 spa credit, last cruise I got these flowers from our room steward in addition to the cake & door sign...it just depends:

2023-03-1309_57_16.thumb.jpg.fd3dc5a8eeee30d0cc56edb07e20546c.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seeyouinthesun said:

You might see your name on the screen in the hallway. Nothing else was done for me. I’ve stopped telling them. 

As did we. The cake they give you at the table in the DR is nothing special, so why bother. 

We couldn't give it away. 

• Like 1