Internet package vs. More enjoyment

jillfeng85

We are new to Azamara. Going on 11 day from Venice to Istanbul in August. Need Wifi access. Is the wifi quality/speed okay on this route? Should we book Unlimited Internet or More Enjoyment with addition excursion/spa credit? We are not drinkers. 

3 hours ago, jillfeng85 said:

We are new to Azamara. Going on 11 day from Venice to Istanbul in August. Need Wifi access. Is the wifi quality/speed okay on this route? Should we book Unlimited Internet or More Enjoyment with addition excursion/spa credit? We are not drinkers. 

If you're in port most days or close to shore most of the time, and you have an e-sim compatible unlocked phone, I would suggest getting a regional e-sim plan for Europe.  They're cheap and then you also have a data plan on shore as well.  It works brilliantly on european itiineraries.  Caribbean or transatlantic not so much. 😉

Edited by Xcelsior

1 hour ago, Xcelsior said:

I would suggest getting a regional e-sim plan for Europe.

Or if you live in the US, just switch to T-Mobile and get worldwide (and airplane) coverage for free.

• Like 2

The Wi-Fi on board is fine nowadays. We always have unlimited Wifi because buying minutes means you have to be very careful about logging on and off each time or the minutes just disappear.

I think that if you’re not drinkers, on an 11 day cruise it’s probably better to just buy the Wifi package which would be better value, but the only way to be sure is to add up all the individual costs that are of value to you.  A wifi package for an 11 day cruise is about $219.45 for one device at a time.

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Or if you live in the US, just switch to T-Mobile and get worldwide (and airplane) coverage for free.

Actually, I have T mobile. But last time I went on cruise or abroad, the free roaming really sucked ... too slow ... But I can consider getting a regional e-sim using my old iphone which was unlocked. 

9 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The Wi-Fi on board is fine nowadays. We always have unlimited Wifi because buying minutes means you have to be very careful about logging on and off each time or the minutes just disappear.

I think that if you’re not drinkers, on an 11 day cruise it’s probably better to just buy the Wifi package which would be better value, but the only way to be sure is to add up all the individual costs that are of value to you.  A wifi package for an 11 day cruise is about $219.45 for one device at a time.

Thank you very much. After the math, I think it is better that we should get the package. But to use OBC for package, we have to wait until we are on board and then use the excursion credit to book excursions. The main downside is that it may be too late to book excursions then especially excursions for the first couple days of the trip?

50 minutes ago, jillfeng85 said:

Actually, I have T mobile. But last time I went on cruise or abroad, the free roaming really sucked ... too slow ... But I can consider getting a regional e-sim using my old iphone which was unlocked. 

How long ago was that?

We've used T-mobile in about 15 countries so far this year and the download speeds probably averaged around 2-3 MPS, fast enough for most streaming.  Even after we went through the 5 Gigs each that are included monthly and it ramped down to around 256mb it was slow, admittedly, but quite usable for email, web browsing (non-video), etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

How long ago was that?

We've used T-mobile in about 15 countries so far this year and the download speeds probably averaged around 2-3 MPS, fast enough for most streaming.  Even after we went through the 5 Gigs each that are included monthly and it ramped down to around 256mb it was slow, admittedly, but quite usable for email, web browsing (non-video), etc.

2022, I went to Peru. Maybe a Peru problem? 

17 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

If you're in port most days or close to shore most of the time, and you have an e-sim compatible unlocked phone, I would suggest getting a regional e-sim plan for Europe.  They're cheap and then you also have a data plan on shore as well.  It works brilliantly on european itiineraries.  Caribbean or transatlantic not so much. 😉

I think it should be close to shore most of the time? It is Venice - Koper - Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Santorini - ... Port heavy schedule.  

2 minutes ago, jillfeng85 said:

2022, I went to Peru. Maybe a Peru problem? 

Perhaps that was the problem, yes.  We were in Asia, Middle East and Europe and almost everywhere was very good.  Occasionally spotty service but that happens here in the states, also. 

2 hours ago, jillfeng85 said:

We have Magenta Max, so the roaming is high speed (unless you hit the monthly limit, then it slows down).

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 10:17 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have Magenta Max, so the roaming is high speed (unless you hit the monthly limit, then it slows down).

We’re boarding in Athens today using our Magenta Max plan overseas for the first time since we switched to it. I’m assuming we should still put the airplane mode on unless we’re in port in order to avoid roaming charges?

8 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

We’re boarding in Athens today using our Magenta Max plan overseas for the first time since we switched to it. I’m assuming we should still put the airplane mode on unless we’re in port in order to avoid roaming charges?

Yes, though you could manually select a land-based network that's included in your plan.  That will stop your phone roaming to the on-ship service when they switch it on, but if there is still a land-based signal (perhaps coming from some high-up mast) your phone will use it.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, jillfeng85 said:

Thank you very much. After the math, I think it is better that we should get the package. But to use OBC for package, we have to wait until we are on board and then use the excursion credit to book excursions. The main downside is that it may be too late to book excursions then especially excursions for the first couple days of the trip?

I am in the same position.  I booked two excursions on the website but didn’t pay for them.  With all the OBC problems, I’m hoping they will hold these bookings until we are on board.  If nothing else it tells them we want to be on it.  No guarantees this will work but it was better than doing nothing I think.

16 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Yes.