$800 for one weeks insurance to South Pacific Islands

22 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Thank you for that information. We insured with them last year before my husband turned eighty but when I try to do an online quote now I get a message saying "First traveller must be under 80". Might have to give them a call.

If your read the PDS for "Cruises" you will find this statement buried on page 5.  So much for covering people up to 100yrs.  Apparently you can get cover for other modes of transport if you have someone under 80 looking after you.  Sneaky.

Age limits
The maximum age limit for all policies is 79 year of age at the date of application.

"For all policies read All Cruise Policies".

Edited by Ondine

18 hours ago, CCC's said:

InsureandGo just quoted me $98 for a 10 day cruise from NZ next Feb 2024 as a solo.   I am under 76 yrs and fully disclosed all pre existing medical issues.   The quote was for the basic level only being medical coverage and evacuation only,  not all the other bells and whistles.   My travel insurance attached to my NAB DEBIT card covers all the other insurance stuff because the  NAB debit card does NOT cover pre existing medical issues.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding this. Are you covered for cancellation due to a medical condition? If so, are you covered for a cancellation due to a pre existing medical condition? 

The 2 times we’ve had to make a medical claim it has been because we had to cancel a cruise before sailing. Both times a substantial sum was paid to us from our  travel insurance because we had insured our pre existing medical conditions for cancellation due to not being able to travel. 

21 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Be interested to know how you get on if you don't mind, I am in the same situation. Thanks.

Confirmed with Insure and Go no cover for over 80 on cruises plus you need to declare any medical conditions treated in past five years.

As others have suggested, have a look at Qantas travel insurance as they will cover over eighty without an excessive premium, though will charge higher excess for medical claims related to pre existing conditions. Also you don't have to go back too far in medical history.

48 minutes ago, Ondine said:

If your read the PDS for "Cruises" you will find this statement buried on page 5.  So much for covering people up to 100yrs.  Apparently you can get cover for other modes of transport if you have someone under 80 looking after you.  Sneaky.

Age limits
The maximum age limit for all policies is 79 year of age at the date of application.

"For all policies read All Cruise Policies".

Certainly is sneaky and a bit misleading.

Quantus quote for a Domestic Cruise for 7 days beat all the other companies. It does cover covid and medical on board plus repatriation but the following statement from the PDS contradicts a policy covering a cruise. PDS quote   You are not covered

If you buy or extend a policy, or make or undertake travel arrangements, when you are aware, or a reasonable person in your circumstances should have been aware, of circumstances that may impact your travel plans, or knowingly putting yourself in a situation of unreasonable risk, such as:

if you know you will be unable to avoid close contact with a case of coronavirus during your trip;

Edited by JohnGc
Added more info.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which policy type was that? They do have different levels of cruise cover.

Sorry I need to go to spec savers ,just noticed the question was directed to bazzaw.  Left this on in case anybody is interested in my Quantus quote.       International comprehensive Australian Waters 70+

Edited by JohnGc

On 7/18/2023 at 5:09 PM, JohnGc said:

Quantus quote for a Domestic Cruise for 7 days beat all the other companies. It does cover covid and medical on board plus repatriation but the following statement from the PDS contradicts a policy covering a cruise. PDS quote   You are not covered

If you buy or extend a policy, or make or undertake travel arrangements, when you are aware, or a reasonable person in your circumstances should have been aware, of circumstances that may impact your travel plans, or knowingly putting yourself in a situation of unreasonable risk, such as:

if you know you will be unable to avoid close contact with a case of coronavirus during your trip;

You would need a lawyer to determine what they classify as "close contact" and "knowingly putting yourself in situation of unreasonable risk".

3 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

You would need a lawyer to determine what they classify as "close contact" and "knowingly putting yourself in situation of unreasonable risk".

For sure. I  phoned and queried their statement and was told just take as much care as you can, that is all well and good but it is a get out for them if you claimed. I did explain that I would like to eat at sometime on the cruise and it would be impossible not to mix. That cover also applies to land based holidays and as you know now days it is impossible to keep a distance in shops etc. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

Unfortunately with Qantas unless your 

condition is covered under the list of ‘Automatically Covered Pre existing Medical Conditions’ you can get cover. A few of my conditions aren’t on the list’.

Do you mean can't get cover for  medical conditions not on list?

I have been able to get a quote and approval for several pre existing conditions not on the list.

I wish insurance companies would allow "medical only" policies for cruising. You can get them for other forms for travel. I don't care about cancellation costs/confinement/luggage costs because, to me, none of those have a life-changing effect on my financials. They may hurt for a while or make me grumpy but I won't have to sell my house over them. I really just want to be covered for being airlifted off the ship in the event of a medical issue or accident. 

I often travel with my parents, who are pretty active and healthy 89 and 87 year olds. My dad swims 1500mm every day, and my mum's only ailment is very, very mild asthma. With cruising being the most suitable holiday for them it is now almost impossible to get insurance for them. Well, I can get it but it now costs more than the cruise itself. It's a shame because they love it so much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mum and son said:

I wish insurance companies would allow "medical only" policies for cruising. You can get them for other forms for travel. I don't care about cancellation costs/confinement/luggage costs because, to me, none of those have a life-changing effect on my financials. They may hurt for a while or make me grumpy but I won't have to sell my house over them. I really just want to be covered for being airlifted off the ship in the event of a medical issue or accident. 

I often travel with my parents, who are pretty active and healthy 89 and 87 year olds. My dad swims 1500mm every day, and my mum's only ailment is very, very mild asthma. With cruising being the most suitable holiday for them it is now almost impossible to get insurance for them. Well, I can get it but it now costs more than the cruise itself. It's a shame because they love it so much.

Have a look at RACV travel insurance. They have a basic international policy that covers medical and very limited other things, and can also include cruising.

1 hour ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Have a look at RACV travel insurance. They have a basic international policy that covers medical and very limited other things, and can also include cruising.

Thanks for the suggestion. It still came in at $1,400 😖.

23 hours ago, mum and son said:

Have a look at Medibank and AHM. Will do medical only for cruising and have got a quote for 80 year old but sometimes not much cheaper than comprehensive cover.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 8:36 PM, nnps said:

My NAB Platinum Visa Debit card has free travel insurance. It costs $10 a month and you have to spend at least $500 on trips through their card. Unfortunately medical cover cuts out at 76 and you can't cover pre-existing conditions. 

We have the NAB platinum visa debit card and are doing as much travel as we can afford, before husband turns 76.  Works for us and saves a lot of money in regards to travel insurance.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, subaru94 said:

We have the NAB platinum visa debit card and are doing as much travel as we can afford, before husband turns 76.  Works for us and saves a lot of money in regards to travel insurance.

It doesn’t cover for cancellation for travel to Norfolk Island. Also It doesn’t cover pre existing medical conditions either.

Edited by cruisine21

10 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

It doesn’t cover for cancellation for travel to Norfolk Island. Also It doesn’t cover pre existing medical conditions either.

I'll have to check our ANZ card insurance. I've always assumed it covered Norfolk Island - we go over to Norfolk Island every year as love the swimming and snorkeling there.

I must say I worry less about cancellation costs than huge medical bills when I travel.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:39 PM, cruisine21 said:

I knew i didn't cover pre existing medical conditions, as we don't have any at this stage.  Surprised about Norfolk Island as when I rang them they sent me a letter for New Caledonia.  NAB do cover cancellations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, Tripmode33 said:

I'll have to check our ANZ card insurance. I've always assumed it covered Norfolk Island - we go over to Norfolk Island every year as love the swimming and snorkeling there.

I must say I worry less about cancellation costs than huge medical bills when I travel.

Norfolk is considered a domestic territory of Australia. The ANZ card insurances covers both international travel and domestic travel so you would be covered with the ANZ card insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Norfolk is considered a domestic territory of Australia. The ANZ card insurances covers both international travel and domestic travel so you would be covered with the ANZ card insurance.

Thank you, Aus Traveller,