Lost & Found- Does it exist?

Bright1

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There were 3 or 4 more boxes of "lost and found" lined up down the counter at Guest Services on our last cruise in May. How would you catalog these dozens and dozens of "lost" items? It does not sound like people really understand what "lost and found" is. 

image.png.03025a4f6dad6866be9713b544069f70.png

Was that a stop with the latest BTS Tour?

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait....are we really blaming NCL for not returning items that passengers lost? I'm all for blaming NCL, but for lost and found items? Come on! 

When I was director of a charter school, we just threw out the crap kids lost. I'm guessing that's what NCL does too. Maybe direct the blame at those who lost the items....oh wait, that would require self-awareness.

Wondered the same.  You lost your items and you're blaming the venue for your carelessness.  Strange  keeps getting stranger on CC.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Wait....are we really blaming NCL for not returning items that passengers lost? I'm all for blaming NCL, but for lost and found items? Come on! 

When I was director of a charter school, we just threw out the crap kids lost. I'm guessing that's what NCL does too. Maybe direct the blame at those who lost the items....oh wait, that would require self-awareness.

Our school at least keeps stuff longer than a few weeks! We donate right before Xmas break and of course, at year's end. There should be a 30-day holding period.

• Like 1

I have a story about lost and found on NCL ships, that is quite positive.

I lost my sunglasses actually in port when I visited a museum.  I didn't realise they were missing until we were sailing away from the port later that day.

I called the museum and yes they had them there.  I talked to Guest Relations and they said they would ask the port agent to pick them up for me and then send them to Lost and Found in Miami.

Since I live in Europe that wasn't the best solution for me but is the standard method for NCL.

3 weeks later I received an email from them saying they had them in Miami and would I like them sent back for a fee.

That fee was very high $180 or something like that.

I had them sent to a friend in Oregon for $60 and another friend brought them back to Europe as she was travelling here anyway.  Took months to get them back but I was happy to have back.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bright1 said:

There’s no blame assigned. My question is if there is an actual Lost and Found? I can certainly purchase a replacement but do I need to?

While not recent experience, in the the past they would enter the found item into a catalog on board (maybe it depends on perceived value? ) and indicated that they would send it to the lost and found in corporate in Miami if no one claimed it by the end of the trip.    

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, Bright1 said:

It’s very disappointing that NCL doesn’t have a better handle on the Lost and Found department. 
I know exactly where my Kindle was when I disembarked. Our steward entered the cabin as I left. I contacted Lost & Found within 8 hours. If there are, in fact, no procedures in place NCL could make that known. Why keep shuffling my emails and phone calls? Just wondering…….

I have washed cell phones and books and all manner of items over the years when I have hurriedly scooped up the sheets from our six household beds  and tossed them in the wash. If I were a steward and stripping the beds of week-old sheets from 45 cabins, I don't think I'm going to take time and comb through them.

The sheets are stripped like they are in a hospital. Rolled up into a ball and placed in the receptacle.

I'm sorry that you lost it, but it probably ended up in the laundry area with hundreds of other things .

Hold out hope! We got a SpongeBob Game Boy returned from NCL back in 2010! Son had left it in the top bunk in the second bedroom .

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:28 AM, Bright1 said:

The lack of concern is what is bothersome. Yes, it’s only worth $150 or so. But, I thought Haven guests or any guests could be assured of more courtesy than I’ve gotten. 

I put 2 suitcases outside the cabin the night before disembarkation while in Haven. Only 1 made it into the terminal. NCL, the terminal, Lost & Found all did not give a #@$%. I was able to file with my travel insurance and get some reimbursement for all of my lost items. 

6 hours ago, jennjess said:

I have a story about lost and found on NCL ships, that is quite positive.

I lost my sunglasses actually in port when I visited a museum.  I didn't realise they were missing until we were sailing away from the port later that day.

I called the museum and yes they had them there.  I talked to Guest Relations and they said they would ask the port agent to pick them up for me and then send them to Lost and Found in Miami.

Since I live in Europe that wasn't the best solution for me but is the standard method for NCL.

3 weeks later I received an email from them saying they had them in Miami and would I like them sent back for a fee.

That fee was very high $180 or something like that.

I had them sent to a friend in Oregon for $60 and another friend brought them back to Europe as she was travelling here anyway.  Took months to get them back but I was happy to have back.

12 minutes ago, russianmom said:

I put 2 suitcases outside the cabin the night before disembarkation while in Haven. Only 1 made it into the terminal. NCL, the terminal, Lost & Found all did not give a #@$%. I was able to file with my travel insurance and get some reimbursement for all of my lost items. 

Wow. That’s the worst I’ve heard. So sorry!

30 minutes ago, russianmom said:

How do you know they’re responsible? We accidentally took someone’s suitcase once (and got it back to them).

39 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

How do you know they’re responsible? We accidentally took someone’s suitcase once (and got it back to them).

You took someone's suitcase that they had placed outside of their cabin the night before?

15 minutes ago, russianmom said:

You took someone's suitcase that they had placed outside of their cabin the night before?

It's possible that someone took your bag from the terminal baggage area before you arrived to get your bag.  Highly possible considering how similar most bags can be.  Never buy softsided black bags.

Also, don't forget that you do not have to be a deputy assistant secretary of the Department of Energy to be caught stealing bags from airline baggage claims area.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No while gathering luggage after leaving the ship.

We had that happen the opposite way.  We were gathering our luggage at the pier.  My daughter had a purple paisley bag which was next to our luggage, but after looking closer realized it wasn't hers.  We looked all over, but her bag wasn't there.  We were able to contact the people whose purple bag was at the terminal and they had taken my daughter's bag and didn't realize it.

We told them we would take their bag and they could come to our house and switch bags.  Luckily we all lived within an hour of the port.

So, it can even happen with very distinctive bags.  We always check carefully now.

• Like 1

Yes there is a lost and found but it's on the ship and not at the dock.
When it comes to turn around day, the person that was your cabin steward during the cruise may not be the person who is turning your cabin over.
They work in teams, similar to how a table gets turned over in the dining room:

The person that brings you to your table may not be the one who is taking your order.
There is a waiter and assistant waiter that take your order and bring your food.

After you are done with your meal there is another team that cleans the dishes from the table and changes the table cloth .

Then there is another team that resets the table with a new table cloth, plates napkins, utensils and glasses.
Even if that's not the case, how is someone suppose to determine what is garbage that you have left and what is not?

Does everything that is left in the cabin from the previous voyage go to the lost and found?

You should try and label the stuff that you want to keep with your name and email.

Don't forget to tip your cabin steward which may increase the chances of you getting the stuff you leave behind back.

Safe travels,

- WYB

Edited by WYB!

3 hours ago, WYB! said:

When it comes to turn around day, the person that was your cabin steward during the cruise may not be the person who is turning your cabin over.

The person that brings you to your table may not be the one who is taking your order.
There is a waiter and assistant waiter that take your order and bring your food.

After you are done with your meal there is another team that cleans the dishes from the table and changes the table cloth .

Then there is another team that resets the table with a new table cloth, plates napkins, utensils and glasses.
Even if that's not the case, how is someone suppose to determine what is garbage that you have left and what is not?

Does everything that is left in the cabin from the previous voyage go to the lost and found?

You should try and label the stuff that you want to keep with your name and email.

Don't forget to tip your cabin steward which may increase the chances of you getting the stuff you leave behind back.

Safe travels,

- WYB

4 hours ago, WYB! said:

Right. "On the off chance I lose it, I'm going to put a label on my underwear".

As for your last sentence, really? Do you really believe that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WYB! said:

Safe travels,

- WYB