Chair Hogs reign on Spirit!

texanaust

15 hours ago, markham said:

Spinnaker,

Was this guy who greased the MD’s palm on Dawn in Nov./Dec.2022?

If so I saw the same episode in La Terrazza.

That said, I have to admit that initially I took comfort from the idea that while these 2 graspers were in La Terrraza we we’re spared their company. It would appear that it’s all about vulgarity!  

Happy and healthy sailing!

Yes it was. They often do the TA and their behavior is exactly the same. 

A big issue but crew are sometimes reluctant to say or do anything for fear of confrontation and upsetting guests.

The rule needs to come from head office and implemented all through the ranks.

It's so easy to get this right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I laud all ideas and hope management is watching.

Otherwise it continues and like the dress code issue, it continues, as management watches chuckling.

As far as management is concerned I wonder if it just boils down to the path of least resistance.  Who complains more frequently and vociferously--the passengers looking for a chaise or the hogs who's stuff was removed.

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

A big issue but crew are sometimes reluctant to say or do anything for fear of confrontation and upsetting guests.

The rule needs to come from head office and implemented all through the ranks.

It's so easy to get this right.

Indeed.  Was just thinking about the parallels to 'real life' in some cities where the 'crew' feels inhibited from doing the job of enforcing rules due to lack of 'head office' support.  Makes it tough on a ship's crew and is rooted in the same kind of thinking.  For cities, it's votes.  For lines, it's income.  Head office or Mayor's office doesn't want to deal with the complaints.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Observer said:

This is a perennial topic, and I have remarked upon it in the past. Please excuse me if I repeat myself.

I do not believe it is fair to expect the pool staff who bring drinks, etc., to police this matter.  They are hotel staff and look forward to good comments on questionnaires and perhaps tips from regulars. They certainly do not want complaints from entitled chair hoggers. 

I wonder if the responsibility can't be given to the security staff.  Specifically, I suggest that a security staff member cruise the pool deck once an hour. A sticker would be placed on unoccupied but apparently "reserved" loungers.  If the sticker is still there an hour later, the security person or a pool staffer would remove any objects/towels, etc., and the chair would be liberated.

Thoughts?

It shouldn’t be the guest managing it, hotels in Hawaii have pool staff.  If SS wanted to do something they would - it’s SS responsibility to handle this problem.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

It shouldn’t be the guest managing it, hotels in Hawaii have pool staff.  If SS wanted to do something they would - it’s SS responsibility to handle this problem.

And it all comes down to one word. 

IF.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, FlyerTalker said:

@texanaust  On a cruise, it can sometimes get windy on deck.  So much so that items can get blown overboard without warning.

Would be a real shame for that to happen on your cruise.

Darn security cameras though...

• Haha 1

Seeing that the chairs are being reserved at an ungodly early hour in the morning, when the pool deck is empty, it would be very easy for the security staff to do a quick patrol of the pool deck starting at 6am and then every 30 to 60 minutes thereafter. They can remove items left on chairs and since the pool deck is relatively empty during those hours, it would result in limited direct conflict (since no one is there). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Seeing that the chairs are being reserved at an ungodly early hour in the morning, when the pool deck is empty, it would be very easy for the security staff to do a quick patrol of the pool deck starting at 6am and then every 30 to 60 minutes thereafter. They can remove items left on chairs and since the pool deck is relatively empty during those hours, it would result in limited direct conflict (since no one is there). 

The direct conflict occurs when pax find their "items" missing.  Hard to win either way if they don't want to play by the rules and then complain about the consequences.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:18 AM, canderson said:

The direct conflict occurs when pax find their "items" missing.  Hard to win either way if they don't want to play by the rules and then complain about the consequences.

“I am so sorry.  As the book was on the chair for an hour without anyone reading it, I thought it must have been forgotten and left behind overnight.”

18 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

You can never miss with "The chair was empty when I got here."

Or 

I'm terribly sorry but I put a copy of war and peace,a hat,an ipad,a bottle of sun tan lotion and an umbrella on this very bed at 04.30 this morning.😀 

On 7/19/2023 at 11:06 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Or 

I'm terribly sorry but I put a copy of war and peace,a hat,an ipad,a bottle of sun tan lotion and an umbrella on this very bed at 04.30 this morning.😀 

It’s all true. Just boarded the Spirit Athens to Venice and by 1pm all prime chairs had towels/stuff on them.  Reminds me of my pre silversea cruises.  Anyway, boarding opened at 12pm on the dot, on the ship 10 min later and having lunch few min after that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2023 at 6:22 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I was on explorer in AUS/NZ they had a table with sign by the pool bar and they put the stuff there.  Wasn't an issue on our Dawn cruise to Norway but I could see it being an issue on our upcoming moon in greece.  Truely hope SS management institutes (and enforces) a similar policy.

Quite frankly someone could use the pool camera in the mornings and see just who is putting stuff on lounges. When those guests turn up hours later they then should be told they were seen putting things on the lounge and that is not allowed so tomorrow your articles will be removed.

• Like 4

You could upgrade the camera system on deck to include an AI program that automatically notes when an item is placed upon a deck chair, and starts a 30 minute countdown to track whether the item moves or any other additional items are placed on the chair within 30 minutes.  It could also track and monitor body heat to identify whether a person is actually using the chair.

When the 30 minutes are up, the AI system activates an onboard drone which swoops down, lifts the item(s) from the deck chair, and then deposits the items (1) in a collection bin; or (2) in the sea [Programmer's choice]. The deck chair is now ready for a new person.

I can envision this system simultaneously tracking all deck chairs. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

A better system would be for the camera to use facial recognition to identify why deposited items on the lounger from their security photo and then put out a tannoy message "Would Mr xyz of suite 123 please return to his lounger and remove his possessions"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was on Spirit for 28 days in December and walk very early in the morning when the pool guys are putting chairs out.  The worst offenders are the pool guys who put the towels and books on particular double loungers. The same books stay in the bar area and just moved to chair every morning when they set up.