Barcelona Interport Embarkation Question

We are sailing on Symphony of the Seas in September from Barcelona. It is an interport cruise that also has embarkation for passengers in Rome. Given that some guests are embarking in Barcelona and some are on a normal port stop, are there different lines to get back on board?

We'd like to check in and have lunch on the ship, and then if possible get off the ship and walk around the city for a couple hours. Is it possible to get off this ship after checking in, and would we have to wait in a main line with those checking in when getting back on board or is there a separate boarding area for those already checked in?

There was a separate line for those in transit ( already had their sea pass cards) - but why have lunch on board when there is the gastronomic delights of Barcelona waiting?! 

Most people board in Barcelona. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

There was a separate line for those in transit ( already had their sea pass cards) - but why have lunch on board when there is the gastronomic delights of Barcelona waiting?! 

Look out for pickpocketing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, little britain said:

So true, thank you! I guess we were thinking it would be nice to check out of our hotel and have the cruise ship check in process complete. 

We may instead consider leaving our bags at the hotel longer and checking in on the ship after lunch. 

Thanks for letting me know there's a separate line for getting back on if we go that route.

A lunch suggestion…

Alaire Terrace Bar

https://www.condesdebarcelona.com/en/alaire-terrace-bar-paseo-gracia/

On the top floor of the Condes Hotel on Passeig de Gracia.    Incredible views, amazing craft cocktails and good food.    It is open air with some covered areas so consider that based on weather.

We will be boarding Symphony in Barcelona on October 29 for the transatlantic.   Take good care of her.  😀

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

We had almost no rain, lots of wind and dark skies.

We saw the new Tom Cruise mission impossible movie yesterday, very entertaining.

Does the movie really seem like it's an almost 3 hour movie or does it go by faster then that?

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

that pretty much goes for travel anywhere, just going to a big city in the US pick pocketers are very common.  

Barcelona, that is their number one crime, worse than any other major city. Get off the ship and walk up Las Ramblas and they see 3000 potential victims

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Does the movie really seem like it's an almost 3 hour movie or does it go by faster then that?

Not sure how this got on Barcelona thread , but it definitely didn’t seem that long , very entertaining and fast moving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoePDX said:

A lunch suggestion…

Alaire Terrace Bar

https://www.condesdebarcelona.com/en/alaire-terrace-bar-paseo-gracia/

On the top floor of the Condes Hotel on Passeig de Gracia.    Incredible views, amazing craft cocktails and good food.    It is open air with some covered areas so consider that based on weather.

We will be boarding Symphony in Barcelona on October 29 for the transatlantic.   Take good care of her.  😀

Joe

Thank you for the recommendation!

56 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

Barcelona, that is their number one crime, worse than any other major city. Get off the ship and walk up Las Ramblas and they see 3000 potential victims

Ever been to Paris and walked the Champs Elysees? You gotta step over a loooootta gypsies looking to take your money there too. I've traveled a lot of places and the places I've felt the most unsafe in are all in the United States. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

7 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Ever been to Paris and walked the Champs Elysees? You gotta step over a loooootta gypsies looking to take your money there too. I've traveled a lot of places and the places I've felt the most unsafe in are all in the United States. 

I don't dispute that.. but it's Barcelona's number 1 crime

• Like 1

Just back from Enchantment OS and we started in Barcelona and went to Rome.  We arrived in Barcelona 2 days before the trip, stayed at Hotel 1898.  Had 1 afternoon and 1 full day to explore Barcelona.  It was fun.  I'd do it again.  Hotel 1898 has a great rooftop bar/pool.  Windows open up onto either the side street or La Rambla.  We've travelled so the "watch the pickpockets thing" is something you need to keep in mind everywhere.  We had zero problems in any of the cities we were in.  The day of the cruise we caught a taxi to the cruise port.  The cruise port is separated from the city a bit by a big bridge.  If you check in and go out again, you'll need a taxi or something to get you back in town.  Or be willing to walk a LONG way.  It's not like Boston where you can just stroll to the seaport.  Granted, we had a very early checkin, but we found that checking in was easy, smooth and well done.  Much better than the last time we cruised Royal in 2001.  If you want to go exploring in Barcelona I'd recommend asking your hotel to let you leave your bags there in the morning, going out to explore, and then picking up the bags and checking into the ship later.  Otherwise you're travelling a lot to only gain a little. 

There is the T-3 blue port bus 🚎 that goes from the cruise terminal back over the bridge and drops you by the Columbus statue at the bottom of Ramblas. It is €3 one way/€4.50 return. 

I still think it’s easier to leave the luggage in the hotel, see the city, have lunch then get over to the port later rather than going there and back again; important to remember you must be on board 90 minutes before sailaway..! 

On 7/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

that pretty much goes for travel anywhere, just going to a big city in the US pick pocketers are very common.  

Wrong.  Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets.  Rome is too for that matter.  Regardless, it is not like just any big city in the US.   I’ve been to pretty much every big city in the US as well as Barcelona several times.  It is not the same in any way.  There are risk’s everywhere, but pickpockets in Barcelona are pervasive and the risk is quite high.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1