Cunard Northern Lights Questions

3rdGenCunarder

I have done some research on the Ports of Call boards, but I have a few questions that are about how Cunard handles some things. I'm hoping someone who has done the Northern Lights cruise on a Cunard ship can help. 

In Tromso, I was hoping that we would dock right in town, but we're at an industrial dock about 2 miles outside the town. I guess QV is too long for the close dock. Was there a shuttle bus into town and what hours did it run? We're there from 9 AM to 1:30 AM. (I just love how Cunard pretends leaving at that hour makes the second day a "port day") If we were docked right in town, I'd consider taking the bus to the cable car to look for northern lights on my own. But with us being so far out, that seems iffy. 

Similar question about Narvik. We're a little less than a mile out of town, so it seems walkable. I've never been to Narvik. I'm doing the Ofoten train, and the station looks farther from the port that I want to walk. The post I saw on Ports of Call was about a Fred Olsen cruise, and they chartered the whole train. Cunard says we will be on a train with other people, and it's train one way, bus the other way. Has anyone had experience with Cunard's version of the train excursion? I'm concerned that all the window seats will have been taken by the time we get there.

Finally, if the lights are spotted while we're at sea, is there an announcement? 

• Like 1

In answer about announcements if the aurora is visible at sea, we had that experience last year in May on QE (same voyage that HH linked to). At sea and heading towards the north of Norway, it was a Gala evening, and around 11.30pm we were dressed up with tuxes, bowties, and ladies in ballgowns, and having a drink in the Commodore Club. Captain came on and said the northern lights were visible from the deck if anyone was interested.  There was a mass rush back to cabins, the evening dresses were discarded, bowties thrown aside, sweatshirts donned along with winter jackets, and woolly hats, and crowds went up the lifts and stairs, to a very careful walk across the snow covered deck being careful not to slip on ice too.  The clear starry night was painted with pale green flickering auroras and loads of people stood on deck getting frozen with phones taking pictures and video.

The next evening also around the same time a similar announcement, and again we all rushed to grab winter coats and hats and back up onto the deck. I would imagine that would be the norm. Shame that the day we arrived in Tromso it was a snowstorm/blizzard, and those who had booked the excursion to the clear skies away from the town came back without seeing the aurora, but they got a very close view of a Norwegian blizzard.

So the quick answer is - 'yes' - we certainly had a captain's announcement twice on that voyage when the aurora was visible at sea - though if it happened after midnight I am not sure there would be one as it would wake people up who had already gone to sleep.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
added phrase
  • Like 2

In Tromso, the ship's shuttles ran all day, both days we were in port [mid morning on Sunday 6 November through 1 AM on Tuesday 8 November]. That gave us two evenings possibilities - with sunset before 3PM.

I think the last shuttle left downtown about 11pm on Monday the 7th. It was about a quarter mile walk from the gangway through the port fencing to the shuttle and tour bus stop. [Tromso city bus route 42 also connects downtown and the cruise port]

My northern lights bus tour arrived back at the ship about 12:30, and lines were already 'singled up' ready for departure. Hot chocolate, coffee and warm towels greeted us after we checked in with security. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

In Tromso, the ship's shuttles ran all day, both days we were in port [mid morning on Sunday 6 November through 1 AM on Tuesday 8 November]. That gave us two evenings possibilities - with sunset before 3PM.

I think the last shuttle left downtown about 11pm on Monday the 7th. It was about a quarter mile walk from the gangway through the port fencing to the shuttle and tour bus stop. [Tromso city bus route 42 also connects downtown and the cruise port]

My northern lights bus tour arrived back at the ship about 12:30, and lines were already 'singled up' ready for departure. Hot chocolate, coffee and warm towels greeted us after we checked in with security. 

Thanks for the info. How nice to have two full days and evenings. My cruise has an 'overnight' that leaves at 1:30 AM. So it's really one day with a late departure. 

What was the northern lights bus tour like? Was it a large coach? Were you happy with the amount of time outside?

I'll be there in November, and sunset is a bit before 3 PM. None of the tours appeals to me because of the way they combine sites, so I think I'll wander around in the city. I'm thinking about taking the shuttle to the city, then the bus to the cablecar in time to see sunset from up there. And maybe a photo stop at the Arctic Cathedral on the way back if there's a good stop on the return route. 

The ship's northern lights tour was bus based [4 busses total] with a local guide [grad student from the university ] guiding the bus to viewing areas [away from artificial light, finding holes in the cloud cover].

At our first stop, a good ways west of Tromso, the aurora was bright enough to be noticed through the bus' windshield. We stopped there for almost an hour - until clouds rolled back in.

A problem with the timing of the cruse was an almost full moon, so even with minimal artificial light, you never got a chance to be dark adapted. That meant taking a picture of what might be aurora - and then reviewing it to see if it was that, or just moonlit clouds.

The second stop was a rendezvous with the other busses where they reported clear sky. Stayed there for about an hour an a half. The show seemed to be over [the aurora app of ny phone indicated dropping intensity and viewing probability].

Unlike some of the local 'northern lights chase' operators, the ship's tour did not include warm clothing, you needed to bring & wear your own. Evening temps were in the mid 20s, and you could feel some muddy patches icing over. I was overdressed - wearing winter boots, ski pants, ski parka, sweater, wool hat & gloves. I took the insulation out of the parka and that was much better. [layers are your friend ].

We were onboard QE March 2022... some comments from Daily Programmes which may help but, remember that things may be different when you are onboard.

"Northern Lights Information

You will be able to find information regarding statistical likelihood of Northern Lights sighting on channel 45 of your stateroom television.  This will be updated every four hours.

We will also be making a broadcast during the night, should there be a sighting.  You will be able to hear this broadcast on channel 41 of your television.  If you are retiring for the evening and do not want to miss any possible sighting we suggest you leave your television on channel 41.

We will not be broadcasting this information automatically through staterooms.

The only occasion we will disturb you in your stateroom is in the event of an emergency."

We had a gentleman onboard, John Maclean FRAS.  He was out on deck in the evening 8.00pm until 12.00am providing intermittent commentary under the stars whilst waiting in the hope of seeing Aurora.

Tromso - we were there 9.00am with all aboard 1.00am

"Complimentary shuttle bus service

...transfer between QE and Fredrick Langnes Street by Radisson Blu Hotel.

First bus depart 9.30am... transfer approx 15 mins each way.  Last shuttle back from Fredrick Langnes to QE 10.45pm"

We went on ship excursion 'In search of Northern Lights' and were disappointed with the location we were taken to, when compared with the location we went to with P&O some years before.  We didn't see the lights whilst we were out on trip.

It was the next night, whilst on our way from Tromso to Narvik, when we were lucky enough to see some of the Northern Lights.  It was about 10.30pm when we noticed some activity. and a while after that an announcement was made.

Narvik - there 9.00am with all aboard 1.00am

"Complimentary shuttle

..transfer between QE and city centre.  First bus 9.30am.  Transfer takes approx 15mins each way.  Last shuttle back from city centre to QE 8.45pm

We went on Ofoten Railway excursion with Cunard: it was very enjoyable.

2 groups.  One went on train first and back on coach.  We went on coach first and back on train.

We had guide on the coach journey up to Bjorkliden.  Upon arrival we went into cafe for tea/coffee and pastries (if I recall).  We were free to wander outside until our train was due to arrive from Sweden.  Note it was slippery underfoot so make sure you wear suitable footwear.

Once the train comes into the station you get on and find yourself a seat.  There are no reserved seats for Cunard guests. 

There is no commentary provided on the train.  However, our guide walked through the train to answer any questions.  

Upon arrival back at Narvik station we picked up coach again and were driven through the city and over the bridge so that we could look back at our ship, see the little church (think it's at Nyborg) and part of a wreck which showed above the water.

You've been given information re the ports so I won't repeat. We did the cruise in October last year. As has been said there will be an expert on board and he will also hold a short seminar on how to take the best photos. Interestingly enough, he rated phone cameras rather highly and comparing hubby's photos from a point and shoot camera to my phone camera, he was right!

Re being informed of possible sightings:  The captain told us to leave the TV on the bridge cam channel which has no sound and if he feels conditions are right he said that he would broadcast into the cabin. The call did come. - 2.30am!!!!  We'd left clothes ready and once dressed we opened the door only to be nearly trampled by the rush of people.  The aft deck lights will be switched off so be aware of the potential of walking into a table.  But it was (and will be) worth it as we were treated to a display of colours.  What was interesting was that on checking my photos there were colours clearly visible which the naked eyes had not seen.  

A fabulous cruise and one crossed off the bucket list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The ship's northern lights tour was bus based [4 busses total] with a local guide [grad student from the university ] guiding the bus to viewing areas [away from artificial light, finding holes in the cloud cover].

At our first stop, a good ways west of Tromso, the aurora was bright enough to be noticed through the bus' windshield. We stopped there for almost an hour - until clouds rolled back in.

A problem with the timing of the cruse was an almost full moon, so even with minimal artificial light, you never got a chance to be dark adapted. That meant taking a picture of what might be aurora - and then reviewing it to see if it was that, or just moonlit clouds.

The second stop was a rendezvous with the other busses where they reported clear sky. Stayed there for about an hour an a half. The show seemed to be over [the aurora app of ny phone indicated dropping intensity and viewing probability].

Unlike some of the local 'northern lights chase' operators, the ship's tour did not include warm clothing, you needed to bring & wear your own. Evening temps were in the mid 20s, and you could feel some muddy patches icing over. I was overdressed - wearing winter boots, ski pants, ski parka, sweater, wool hat & gloves. I took the insulation out of the parka and that was much better. [layers are your friend ].

Thank you! I'll be traveling around full moon, too. The next cruise is new moon, but the timing of the cruise didn't work for me. I'll be going in November, which is less likely to be as cold and snowy as the reports of the March cruises have been. Daytimie temps in town are above freezing and night lows just barely under it. So even going out of town shouldn't be too bad. When I was riding, we went all winter unless it was bitter, so I have all sorts of warm layers, including silk liners, which are miraculous.

30 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

We were onboard QE March 2022... some comments from Daily Programmes which may help but, remember that things may be different when you are onboard.

You will be able to find information regarding statistical likelihood of Northern Lights sighting on channel 45 of your stateroom television.  This will be updated every four hours.

We will also be making a broadcast during the night, should there be a sighting.  You will be able to hear this broadcast on channel 41 of your television.  If you are retiring for the evening and do not want to miss any possible sighting we suggest you leave your television on channel 41.

The only occasion we will disturb you in your stateroom is in the event of an emergency."

We had a gentleman onboard, John Maclean FRAS.  He was out on deck in the evening 8.00pm until 12.00am providing intermittent commentary under the stars whilst waiting in the hope of seeing Aurora.

First bus depart 9.30am... transfer approx 15 mins each way.  Last shuttle back from Fredrick Langnes to QE 10.45pm"

We went on ship excursion 'In search of Northern Lights' and were disappointed with the location we were taken to, when compared with the location we went to with P&O some years before.  We didn't see the lights whilst we were out on trip.

It was the next night, whilst on our way from Tromso to Narvik, when we were lucky enough to see some of the Northern Lights.  It was about 10.30pm when we noticed some activity. and a while after that an announcement was made.

"Complimentary shuttle

..transfer between QE and city centre.  First bus 9.30am.  Transfer takes approx 15mins each way.  Last shuttle back from city centre to QE 8.45pm

2 groups.  One went on train first and back on coach.  We went on coach first and back on train.

We had guide on the coach journey up to Bjorkliden.  Upon arrival we went into cafe for tea/coffee and pastries (if I recall).  We were free to wander outside until our train was due to arrive from Sweden.  Note it was slippery underfoot so make sure you wear suitable footwear.

Once the train comes into the station you get on and find yourself a seat.  There are no reserved seats for Cunard guests. 

There is no commentary provided on the train.  However, our guide walked through the train to answer any questions.  

Upon arrival back at Narvik station we picked up coach again and were driven through the city and over the bridge so that we could look back at our ship, see the little church (think it's at Nyborg) and part of a wreck which showed above the water.

33 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

"Complimentary shuttle

Thank you! That helps a lot! I think I'm on the train going up because my calendar on the website says 8:30. My booking confirmation says 9:30, so maybe they moved me to the earlier time. Or the schedule changed. But it makes sense to have the bus go up later, as the train makes photo op stops along the way (according to their website)

13 minutes ago, babs135 said:

You've been given information re the ports so I won't repeat. We did the cruise in October last year. As has been said there will be an expert on board and he will also hold a short seminar on how to take the best photos. Interestingly enough, he rated phone cameras rather highly and comparing hubby's photos from a point and shoot camera to my phone camera, he was right!

Re being informed of possible sightings:  The captain told us to leave the TV on the bridge cam channel which has no sound and if he feels conditions are right he said that he would broadcast into the cabin. The call did come. - 2.30am!!!!  We'd left clothes ready and once dressed we opened the door only to be nearly trampled by the rush of people.  The aft deck lights will be switched off so be aware of the potential of walking into a table.  But it was (and will be) worth it as we were treated to a display of colours.  What was interesting was that on checking my photos there were colours clearly visible which the naked eyes had not seen.  

A fabulous cruise and one crossed off the bucket list.

I have an expensive digital camera, but there are times, especially bright daylight when my phone does better capturing colors--and my phone is not one with a fabulous camera, like the newer iphones. I suspect it's because I forget to adjust settings on the "good" camera when I'm in a hurry. But the camera has a cool function for hand-held night shots. It takes a burst of pictures and "assembles" the best bits.  Someone recently told me that even if the lights aren't great, keep taking pictures because the camera will see more than your eyes do. I plan to go out at night and play with the camera settings to see what works best.

I will follow your example and have clothes ready if the call comes to see the lights. I'm glad they're using the bridge cam channel. At least the light of the TV won't keep me awake!

• Like 1

I'll add to this thread from the computer with the images on it later.

I was using an image stabilized camera [Olympus OMS EM1 mark 2] with a 'travel zoom' lens set to the widest angle and fastest aperture [Oly 12-220 f/3.6-6.3 at 12mm f/3.5] with a one second exposure.

Distant lights and objects silhouetted against the moonlit clouds have sharp edges so the image duration was handled nicely hand held.

The photos show a bright green aurora & dark blue sky between the clouds.

Setting up your camera / phone as best as you can

Daily programme on day after embarkation noted

4 days until the Northern lights

Learn how to photograph the breathtaking beauty of the Northern lights. Small group sessions are available. Visit Photo gallery today to make your booking.

DH booked to attend session and took his camera along. Think it cost about $20 / 25.  He later said it was the best $ he'd spent as they helped him set up his camera to give best opportunity to capture lights if they appeared.

Without getting that help its unlikely he would have got the  pics he did.

So, if you aren't sure about setup you may want to ask Photo team when you get onboard if they are offering similar session / can help you.

15 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Setting up your camera / phone as best as you can

Daily programme on day after embarkation noted

4 days until the Northern lights

Learn how to photograph the breathtaking beauty of the Northern lights. Small group sessions are available. Visit Photo gallery today to make your booking.

DH booked to attend session and took his camera along. Think it cost about $20 / 25.  He later said it was the best $ he'd spent as they helped him set up his camera to give best opportunity to capture lights if they appeared.

Without getting that help its unlikely he would have got the  pics he did.

So, if you aren't sure about setup you may want to ask Photo team when you get onboard if they are offering similar session / can help you.

It's nice that they're having their photographers do some teaching. I don't think I've seen workshops before. It should be something they offer on every cruise, even if it's pretty basic stuff. I'm amazed at how little some people know about their cameras. 

I did the "whale watch and photo safari" in Juneau, and the camera expert gave some hints during the bus ride to the boat. Then he went to each person to see if they needed help. A lot of people had expensive DSLRs and no idea how to use any of the settings. They had spent a lot of money for a camera they were using like a point-and-shoot that would have cost a lot less. I listened to him, and he was a good teacher. Most people had Canon or Nikon. He got to me and looked at my Leica, and looked at me with his eyebrows raised. I smiled and said, "I'm fine. I've had a camera since I was 8." He teased the two German passengers on the tour that the only German camera wasn't in their hands.

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

I'll add to this thread from the computer with the images on it later.

I was using an image stabilized camera [Olympus OMS EM1 mark 2] with a 'travel zoom' lens set to the widest angle and fastest aperture [Oly 12-220 f/3.6-6.3 at 12mm f/3.5] with a one second exposure.

Distant lights and objects silhouetted against the moonlit clouds have sharp edges so the image duration was handled nicely hand held.

The photos show a bright green aurora & dark blue sky between the clouds.

I don't think I can do one second handheld, even with stabilization. I need to go outside at night and practice! I really don't want to drag along a tripod, but I'm thinking about a monopod.

I've been using stabilized cameras for years - and long exposures are quite easy to do with static subjects [helped by the wide angle lens, but I have a few long exposure tele shots as well].

My tripod has be languishing in the basement for years - but I may want to give it a try for a couple of 'computational photography' modes.

There is a tripod based high res mode in the M1.2 body [uses the IS hardware to jiggle by half pixel increments then merges into on high res image]. Later models do this hand held, using your hands to supply the jiggle.

The 'live composite' mode is an enhanced bulb exposure stacking multiple images - with the first image providing the initial exposure, and the rest of the interval recording only new light sources. The developing photo is displayed on the rear screen.

On a less moonlight night, I think I would try the 'live composite' and see what a multi second aurora looks like.

Just now, TheOldBear said:

I've been using stabilized cameras for years - and long exposures are quite easy to do with static subjects [helped by the wide angle lens, but I have a few long exposure tele shots as well].

My tripod has be languishing in the basement for years - but I may want to give it a try for a couple of 'computational photography' modes.

There is a tripod based high res mode in the M1.2 body [uses the IS hardware to jiggle by half pixel increments then merges into on high res image]. Later models do this hand held, using your hands to supply the jiggle.

The 'live composite' mode is an enhanced bulb exposure stacking multiple images - with the first image providing the initial exposure, and the rest of the interval recording only new light sources. The developing photo is displayed on the rear screen.

On a less moonlight night, I think I would try the 'live composite' and see what a multi second aurora looks like.

If the display lasts long enough (assuming there is one!) I will probably play with settings. Supposedly, the full moon can give opportunities to have near objects (people) lighted instead of silhouetted in front of the aurora.

This is a photo taken using a Samsung camera  Although not the best I took, I chose this to show the colour at the bottom of the 'streak'.  Whilst the green was clearly visible to (my) the naked eye, the colour was not.

lights.jpg

• Like 3

Can one see the Northern Lights in the summer months or is a November or March voyage needed to get the real experience?

I’ve read some blogs about Northern Lights Norway cruises and those cold weather trips don’t seem to be for everyone. (Thinking about DW!)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NE John said:

Can one see the Northern Lights in the summer months or is a November or March voyage needed to get the real experience?

I’ve read some blogs about Northern Lights Norway cruises and those cold weather trips don’t seem to be for everyone. (Thinking about DW!)

You never know. They were allegedly visible from Southern England one night in April. 

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

Hi. We had a sensational Northern Lights cruise on the QV in November 2019.

Main recommendation is to book a private 'Chasing the Aurora' tour from Tromso - NOT the Cunard tour.

Just Google. Those 'Northern Horizon's' where just incredible - see some pics below.

We were a party of 4 but made up a mini van of 8 which picked us up from the ship at 9pm.The private tours have a network of 'spotters' and you are asked to take your passport as sometimes you can end up in Sweden. We ended up after one failed location deep in a snow covered forest about an hour from Tromso.

It was bitterly cold but in addition to your own clothing they provide all-in-one cold weather suits that really made a difference. You also have a BBQ around a camp fire with glutton free Reindeer sausages - I know but they were tasty and warm !! The BIG PLUS also is that they take photo's for you and forward them via email. As seen below. Our friend had a very good SLR camera with tripod but as the sky exploded we were shouting to him to 'look there and look everywhere' he was missing out big time so ditched his camera and just took in the amazing sights that we were seeing.

Our last on board was 3.30am (so more Cunard cut backs if it is now 1.30?) and they had us back by 3am but we could have stayed out all night.

Our adrenalin was still flowing at breakfast later that morning but we had to be careful because we learnt that the Cunard trips had just taken coach loads of passengers to a lake. The lights did not appear so they were back on board by mid-night. Other passengers did not believe our excitement until we showed then the pictures.

Can also highly recommend the Fjord trip in Alesund if that is on your itinerary.

Anyway could go on but whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy and are as lucky as we were.

image.jpeg

IMG_6619.jpeg

IMG_6617.jpeg

IMG_6790.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2