Vantage World Travel Bankruptcy – What You Need to Know

Host Jazzbeau

Thanks to Cruise Critic member @ATL1234, here is a comprehensive article explaining the Vantage Bankruptcy and what consumers who are owed money can expect, and what they need to do:

Vantage Travel is bankrupt. Here’s what customers need to know

Photo of author

Michelle Couch-Friedman

July 16, 2023

• 2 weeks later...

There was also another article in today's Boston Globe.  If I understand correctly, the ships were actually owned by Lewis in another corporation.  There is question whether or not the ships will be lumped in with the travel company as company assets.  Including the ships increases the amount of money that might be available to pay back customers.  Otherwise, there isn't a whole lot there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/31/business/bankrupt-vantage-travel-used-expensive-ships-why-arent-they-listed-assets-court/?p1=HP_Feed_AuthorQuery

There may be paywall issues with this link.  Maybe a search for Sean Murphy articles might get around that???  I know little about how to get around this.

Yes, I was contacted by the law firm representing creditors like me and filed a claim, but suspect from what I have read that I will be among those at the bottom of the list to get anything out of the settlement. Apparently Vantage was leasing all their river boats and small ocean ships so did not own them outright, so unlikely will be able to sell them when dissolving the company. Big fight going on in the court about this issue...I get daily e-mails updating me on the court decisions about such motions made by both sides. They are also trying to claim their past customer list and contact information as an "asset" they could sell which is being opposed by the firm representing the creditors.

New article on Seatrade Cruise News:

Court expected to OK Aurora Expeditions' bid for Vantage assets

The US bankruptcy court is expected to approve the sale, despite objections from several parties, including affected passengers who want to use travel credits to pay for 100% of an ocean cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got a creditor Ballot for accepting or rejecting chapter 11 plan. Since I made my deposits before May 12, 2023 I have no chance of getting any monies back.. The credit for future cruses is worthless since I have no other savings that I coud.use. Why should I vote to approve the bankruptcy. 

On 10/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, fieldagent said:

I just got a creditor Ballot for accepting or rejecting chapter 11 plan. Since I made my deposits before May 12, 2023 I have no chance of getting any monies back.. The credit for future cruses is worthless since I have no other savings that I coud.use. Why should I vote to approve the bankruptcy. 

We just received the same thing.  Unfortunately, I can't follow all that legal talk and I have no idea what it's telling me.  

If when I made the deposit for this trip is the deciding factor, and that date is May 12, 2023, then we're out of luck.  

No matter how you vote since we are unsecured creditors we will get no monies. I looks like the mailing list has been sold and the buyer is offering some credits for what we are owed. Note Chapter 11 is reorganization. That means lewis can continue. Other posts seen to say he still owns two ships. Hiss treatment of those who booked with him .where he took monies and used it to keeping running and also not honoring his guarantee that if some party was injured before the trip he would give back all moines in cash and holding off until he delayed  bankruptcy.  All the miss information when he went off line makes me question his ransomware  attack. His operation is similar to a ponzi scheme. Allianz gave me back $ 200.00 plus which is what they said Vantage paid them. I am voting to reject the plan.

• 3 months later...

Years ago, I practiced some in bankruptcy law. Back then, a consumer who had paid money to the debtor for undelivered goods and services had a high priority claim for up to $2500. The law could have changed since then, but the last I followed it the amount of the priority claim had been increased. At least, this bears looking into.