Elitism by other cruise lines about Carnival?

GwenyP

11 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It doesn't necessarily only happen on ship nor is it limited to cruising. When we cruised on Royal we heard several such remarks.

Oh well. Maybe they just didn't care for carnival.  Doesn't mean elitism 

On 7/20/2023 at 3:29 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

The people that I've met and interacted with on my Celebrity cruises haven't been snobbish at all, IMHO.  And the people on the Celebrity board here aren't too bad.  

Elsewhere I've seen some posts about those who were one-and-done on Carnival and those who say they will never sail the whale tail for whatever reason(s).  I don't pay much attention to them and move on to people who have something substantial to say.

Maybe it wasn't for them.   That's why there are dozens of car manufacturers 

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. We sailed Princess. A group from Chicago. One man pretended he was from NY but when we chatted for a bit I knew he was lying. He was just loud and annoying as were his companions. When we finished the cruise in Tahiti after sailing around the islands we stayed for several days and low and behold the group stayed at our hotel. They were less loud  but the point being doesn’t matter the line, the ship, the itinerary you can have a motley group anywhere anytime lol!

Point taken. Thank you for taking the time to explain. 👍

1 hour ago, FastShip24 said:

Oh well. Maybe they just didn't care for carnival.  Doesn't mean elitism 

Almost, they felt that they were better then Carnival cruisers because they cruised with Royal. As has been pointed out that isn't necessarily elitism but it is snobbish behavior.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

46 minutes ago, rolloman said:

This is the world we live in now...literally everyone of all walks of life going out of their way to get butthurt/triggered. They then create names and label those who have "offended them" 

As a child of a WWii vet, I fantasize about helping relocate the gripers to other countries -- maybe go fund me pages?

Edited by Etta1213

3 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

I've been on dozens of cruises and never heard anyone ever bash or talk down about another line. 

Spend some time on these forums and your experience will change. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aborgman said:

1) They SHOULD all be known as floating Walmarts.

2) Not wanting to be considered a person of Walmart is the exact, identical, form of elitism.

...and most people who shop at Walmart are middle class. In fact - most people who do everything in the USA are middle class, because by definition basically 2/3 of the USA is "middle class".

Depending on exactly what study you look at - the average Walmart shopper has a similar household income to the average cruise ship passenger (and that is average of all lines, not just Carnival).

The average Walmart shopper is ~59 years old, female, married, has an undergraduate degree, and makes $80K per year.

I love me some Walmart. Best produce in town. 

I have two degrees. 🎉🎉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aborgman said:

2) Not wanting to be considered a person of Walmart is the exact, identical, form of elitism.

Maybe and I think we are getting too hung up on the word "elitist".   Those throwing out the term are doing so to be rude and insulting.  The intent.   It is like me saying a certain premium line is a floating nursing home.  Elitist?  Nope, but it simply is not nice.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Clearly I was being facetious

I think iPhones are better than androids because they have better performance.   Better enough to justify the price is up to each of us I guess.   

lol, reminds me of the time we were at the local yacht club and we were talking about cruising. A local member, who our friend knew, overheard us. He asked if that's the kind of cruising we prefer, "being on a ship with thousands of others?"

"Why don't you just rent a yacht and hire a crew?"

Didn't have the heart to tell him we're not filthy rich 😆😂😆😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

This is the world we live in now...literally everyone of all walks of life going out of their way to get butthurt/triggered. They then create names and label those who have "offended them" 

Literally everyone would include you. 🙃

I have been cruising for over 30 years and the reality is back in the day Carnival was the biggest instigator of making fun of other lines. At sail away it was quite the thing on Carnival to float past Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean ships with the Carnival cruise director leading chants from everyone on the pool deck to tell the other lines how lame they were. Nobody really said anything because back in the day it was all fun...fast forward to today...suddenly to do such thing triggers select individuals. Oddly, it seems the most triggered individuals come from the Carnival crowd. 

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

We took my nanny on the Vista back when the Vista was almost new.  It was her first cruise. Talked about how great RC was and slammed Carnival the whole time. We were paying for the cruise. Really annoyed me. 

Argh, the worst!  When someone is treating, you say thank you and everything was wonderful!  It doesn't matter if it is true or not.  I don't mean just cruising, I mean manners in general. 

I like treating people to dinner, but if they complain about everything, nothing annoys me more. You can voice your criticisms behind my back, like a polite person.  I'm fine with that lol.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Here are pics of Beyond for comparison:

celebrity beyond.jpg

celebrity beyond 3.jpg

celebrity beyond2.jpg

We’re going on the Vista in December but in June we are going on the Beyond.   It looks like a beautiful ship although I’m a bit worried there won’t be much for my kids to do (we’re going for my dad’s 80th birthday).   I’m looking forward to trying a new line and evaluating the differences between the two lines.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I have been cruising for over 30 years and the reality is back in the day Carnival was the biggest instigator of making fun of other lines. At sail away it was quite the thing on Carnival to float past Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean ships with the Carnival cruise director leading chants from everyone on the pool deck to tell the other lines how lame they were. Nobody really said anything because back in the day it was all fun...fast forward to today...suddenly to do such thing triggers select individuals. Oddly, it seems the most triggered individuals come from the Carnival crowd. 

Kind of reeks of inferiority complex...

The confident it doesn't bother, they banter in kind. Those who fear inferiority are sensitive to criticism (mom, the guys on the other team are calling us names. Make them stop.).

1 hour ago, GwenyP said:

We’re going on the Vista in December but in June we are going on the Beyond.   It looks like a beautiful ship although I’m a bit worried there won’t be much for my kids to do (we’re going for my dad’s 80th birthday).   I’m looking forward to trying a new line and evaluating the differences between the two lines.   

My kids love Carnival and hated Celebrity. That's the thing, if it was just me and the wife, Celebrity would win, hands down. But, since it's my young kids, we have to sail on lowly Carnival...😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GwenyP said:

I cruised Celebrity with my four-year-old niece once and she had the best time in their kids’ club!  There were only about a dozen kids in her age range on the whole ship and they had multiple counselors (I believe three) who showed them a great time and made them feel special.  And it wasn’t just in the kids’ club.  All over the ship, it seemed all of the crew learned her name and treated her like a princess the whole week!

• Like 1