QM2 Transatlantic Dress Code Changed?

HighSeas75

8 hours ago, HighSeas75 said:

Hello. Don't ladies wear evening gowns any more on QM2 crossings? There were 4 formal nights I think. To do away with that would take away Cunard's uniqueness and make it more bland.

Is this something you heard or read about or experienced? My recent TA had a 90%+ formal dress participation for Gala nights. Ladies and gentlemen looked great. There are two Gala nights on a Crossing, not four. 

• Like 3

Hello NE John,

I have been on many crossings, and what they now call Gala nights were called formal nights and there were four. Then more recently they reduced them to three I think. It's so sad there are only two formal (aka Gala) nights now. That whole special QE2/QM2 tradition is going away. A shame. Will Cunard ships soon be just like any other cruise ships? 

I went on my first Cunard ship with a QM2 TA in 2008 and the biggest change I’ve seen with dress code since is more on the “Smart Attire” nights vs formal nights. My first few voyages required jacket and tie for non-formal nights (as many remember) and now that’s more relaxed. I still wear a jacket after 6pm and would feel naked without one. Also, so many still dress up big-time formal for Gala nights so don’t get too down on what’s happening and certainly don’t let the minority of non-formal dressers upset your time onboard. 
There is still a special atmosphere onboard. 
I don’t think Cunard traditions will “go away”. The younger people I speak to about Cunard and its traditions get excited to hear about them and say they want to go on Cunard do something different and dress up for the occasion. I’m hoping to see a pushback from this sloppy casualness I see everyday to people caring about how they dress and show respect to others when they dress. Maybe I’m dreaming!?!  Cunard has to do a better job of explaining its own brand too. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HighSeas75 said:

Hello NE John,

I have been on many crossings, and what they now call Gala nights were called formal nights and there were four. Then more recently they reduced them to three I think. It's so sad there are only two formal (aka Gala) nights now. That whole special QE2/QM2 tradition is going away. A shame. Will Cunard ships soon be just like any other cruise ships? 

Sorry to intrude;

If you would like to have four formal nights there is nothing to stop you.

I would suggest it's best to include the two that Cunard specify, but why not just choose another two that suit you?

We observed three last year because between booking and travelling one was dropped. Next time we sail we plan to observe seven of seven. There's nothing in the dress code to say you can't.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, D&N said:

Sorry to intrude;

If you would like to have four formal nights there is nothing to stop you.

I would suggest it's best to include the two that Cunard specify, but why not just choose another two that suit you?

We observed three last year because between booking and travelling one was dropped. Next time we sail we plan to observe seven of seven. There's nothing in the dress code to say you can't.

Great suggestion here . Have all the Gala Nights that you wish to have .

• Like 5

Maybe make it a theme voyage. Once or twice a year have a 'Relaxed at Sea' crossing with no formal nights and the rest of the time is traditional Cunard dress code. Then people can plug in where they fit best and still experience everything that Cunard is.

• Like 1

Our first time on the QE was a seven-night cruise to Norway on which there were three formal nights. Our second voyage on this ship was 10-nights to Alaska and only two formal nights. I wrote to Cunard to complain about this and was reminded that the dress code is a minimum and we could dress formally as often as we wish.  

As others have noted, the number of formal nights on the crossings of the QM2 have dropped from four to three and now two.  With all the hype about the new Queen Anne (somewhere Cunard did mention it would be a bit more modern) I fear the next step.

I must say that for those in Britannia the Cunard ships are more formal than they were in our early days of Atlantic crossings which started 50 years ago. It was not traditional to dress formally in the Britannia  Restaurant when the QE2 was operated in First and Tourist Class. Jacket and tie was required every night, though. It was only after Cunard did away with the classifications of First and Tourist (the latter had been renamed Transatlantic Class at some point) and became officially one-class - with Grills - that the formal dress code was adopted in all restaurants throughout the ship.  

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Maybe make it a theme voyage. Once or twice a year have a 'Relaxed at Sea' crossing with no formal nights and the rest of the time is traditional Cunard dress code. Then people can plug in where they fit best and still experience everything that Cunard is.

It would be interesting to see how popular such a crossing would be!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

It would be interesting to see how popular such a crossing would be!

It might not make much difference. For a lot of people timing is the most important thing, so they’ll pick a crossing that fits.

• Like 2

As I have mentioned a lot on the boards, after 6 you feel a certain aire of distinction.

Sort of James Bond-ish....lol....

Also, it feels good to participate with others in Your Finest !

• Like 1

Certainly noticed a deteriation of standards of dress code on QM2 on our roundtrip TA in May. Even in Commodore Club people were being served in clothes that in the past they would have been asked to leave after 6pm. Somewhat disappointing as QM2 as always been known as more formal, especially TAs, than the other Cunard ships.

• Like 1

Happy our last September and recent June voyages many happily complied with the dress code.

Really couldn't complain about those sticking out. 

IMHO....during the sailings, couldn't count more than the fingers on my hands during after 6....

Commodore Club was happily and elegantly well dressed..as so the Chart Room.

• Like 1

Hello,

One of my favourite hotels in the UK was The Palace Hotel in Torquay. A jacket and tie was required after 6.00pm in the dining room and most of the bars.

The Maître d' would stand at the door and, as you entered the restaurant, would say, to the gentlemen anyway, "Good Evening Sir".

Then a few years ago the dress code was relaxed and the jacket and tie were only 'requested'.

Then the Maître d' would stand at the door and, as you entered the restaurant in the requested attire , would say "Good Evening and Thank you Sir".

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

One of my favourite hotels in the UK was The Palace Hotel in Torquay. A jacket and tie was required after 6.00pm in the dining room and most of the bars.

The Maître d' would stand at the door and, as you entered the restaurant, would say, to the gentlemen anyway, "Good Evening Sir".

Then a few years ago the dress code was relaxed and the jacket and tie were only 'requested'.

Then the Maître d' would stand at the door and, as you entered the restaurant in the requested attire , would say "Good Evening and Thank you Sir".

Regards,

Cublet

What does he say if you don't wear the jacket and tie?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

I imagine that cannot be reported on this forum!

A number of times we saw when booked into Britannia and sitting near the door the M'd kindly asked a passenger to return to his cabin to change.

As said in the past, after 6 properly dressed passengers does display a certain aire of elegance one looks for when on the Queen. That's why we book a sailing on her.

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes I know. Sadly the initial proposal for a luxury  248 bed hotel to replace it has been withdrawn by the developers who want to build sixty-odd homes on the site.

Regards,

Cublet