It’s A Crystal Family Affair – Return To Crystal & Crystal Serenity

Keith1010

It’s A Crystal Family Affair – Return To Crystal & Crystal Serenity - Part 2

Many of you are long term members of CC and this board and have read my live reports. Some of you are relatively new, so I begin with what shapes my views and opinions. Here goes.

At 12, my parents took our family on a 13-day cruise. Not our typical vacation which was often a two-week road trip staying at motels where you parked outside your room (Holiday Inn, Quality Inn, Best Western (also for a short time motels east of the Mississippi were called Best Eastern), Howard Johnson and some one-of-a-kind motels along with a few one-of-a-kind hotels.  I loved the cruise. I remember it as if it was yesterday.   I knew that cruising was in my blood.  Never saw water so blue as we got closer to the Southern Caribbean.  Not something I saw on the Island we lived on. 

Years ago, I realized that life is short. Too many loved ones died way too young. As a result, I don’t sweat the little things, and appreciate each day. Yes, the glass is half full. Why not?  

Most of my career was spent with one company, which began as a start-up and grew into a large company, so I have experienced both worlds.   I’ve worked in headquarters and in the field. The cruise industry has their corporate analogous to headquarters and working on a cruise ship is like what I refer to as the field.  Some of my comments are based on a business perspective.  When I see problems, I look for solutions and inform those who I think should know rather than putting them all over social media.  In fact, when people dwell on the problem, I tune it out because I am focused on solving it. This applies to my own career and a group I lead where I live.  I also know that you can’t please the customer all of the time and you have to make a profit and balance revenue and costs which is no easy task.

When retired, I chose to pursue those things we love. If I do something and don’t like it, I move on and don’t dwell on it. Yes, life is short. 

I am a fan of certain products, including Crystal, Lexus, Apple, Ritz Carton, and I am a fan of selected sports teams.  The key word is “fan”.  Each has evolved over the years, but each provides a product which I am a fan of.

I applaud teamwork, which is a core strength of Crystal. I subscribe to the belief the sum of the whole team working together is far better than the same people working independently of one another.

In short, I focus on the positive. I choose to do things I enjoy. I don’t dwell on problems. I don’t sweat the little things.  I realize nothing is perfect in life including each of us. I enjoy people, travel especially cruising, and I like solving problems. I have little tolerance or patience for constant complainers.  

As to Crystal.  

As many know, I used to say I am hopeful, and I meant what I said. In my heart of hearts, I always felt the Crystal vessels and name would return even when some disagreed. I thought Manfredi Lefebvre would purchase the vessels and the brand name even when some said they would be scrapped. He succeeded, and my belief that most of the crew would return came to fruition even when just a few people chose to put down my point of view.  If you know the crew as well as I do and some of the other from this board do, and keep in touch with them, it was fairly obvious they were going to return in huge numbers.

Once the purchase of Crystal was announced, my hope turned into excitement, and you would hear me say Bags are packed. Ready to go. Can’t wait.  

If you’ve played on a sports team as I have, you might hear a coach or manager say a favorite phrase in the locker room before, between halves, and after the game and at practice. It sticks with people.  

There is a song let’s get this party started sung by Pink. On occasion I would use it as a warmup song when teaching indoor cycle. It applies here as well.  

As I move forward with my posts they will be about what we experience and will include objective and subjective comments as they always have.

In closing.

Bags are packed. Ready to go. Can’t wait.

Look forward to seeing several of you on-board on the first and/or second cruises as Crystal Serenity returns to service.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 6

Hi Keith, I have been reading this board since we booked our first ever Crystal cruise. At the time we booked for the itinerary and smaller ship and didn't know much about old Crystal and the bankruptcy. I have really enjoyed reading your posts (and others) and am super excited to hear your thoughts of the first two cruises. I love your positive attitude. We have been on most every big cruiseline and although there were things we didn't like about each, we have always had a great time.  We cruised on our first smaller cruiseline (Oceania Riviera) last Jan. This January will be our second of this category and smallest ship yet with Crystal Serenity. It will also be our first time in a suite (Aquamarine) as all the regular balcony cabins were waitlisted at the time we booked. Thanks for taking us along and sharing your cruise with us!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

Bon voyage to you both. I look forward with great anticipation to hearing your considered views and hope you both have a wonderful time.

One day we will meet in person !!

Colin

Thank you Colin and I truly hope we sail with you one day.

Keith

1 hour ago, Joywrk said:

Have a wonderful trip and thanks for taking us along. Like you,I surround myself with positive people and try to be sunny as well. Keeps us healthy.

Thank you so much.  You are so write. It is good for the health both mind and body.

Keith

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

There is a song let’s get this party started sung by Pink. On occasion I would use it as a warmup song when teaching indoor cycle. It applies here as well.  

Great post, and of course I adore the Pink reference. 😁 I love your positivity.

On a related note (and not meant to derail the thread): As you know, my Mom recently passed away. Her service is coming up and I'm delivering the eulogy, which I've been composing. I read your post here and immediately thought of my Mom, because she too was a "glass half full" person. And here's the interesting part, Keith - I had just written a segment that described this trait. I think you'll appreciate it:

Mom had an almost preternatural ability to see the best in everything. She just wasn’t wired to see negatives. Here’s an example: I took her on a cruise to Tahiti. While I was off scuba diving, she did an excursion to a winery on a small island. When she got back she told me she had a lovely time. The wine was great, the place was beautiful, it was a fun tour. Later that night I talked to a few other people who’d been on the tour with her, and they told me it was awful! The vines were scraggly, the tour leader was sullen, and the wine was undrinkable. They thought it was so bad they asked for their money back. When I asked Mom about this, she said, “Oh sure, that’s true but I still had a great time!” That’s Mom. She never saw a half-empty glass, even if it was full of crappy wine.

You would have liked my Mom. 🙂 

I'm SO looking forward to reading your travelogue! Your excitement comes off your posts is waves, and it makes the rest of us feel excited too. 

• Like 8

Keith

I am looking forward to following you. I have been reading your blogs for many years, and enjoy hearing your perspective on everything. 
I, too, love the Crystal product(27 cruises)  of the past and know I will love NC. All the puzzle pieces are there for the success of this rebirth. 
I will not be onboard until October, from Quebec, but feel like I am sailing next week. I have read every post, and view the website often for new information. But, hearing from those onboard will be so exciting. 
So, have a safe, fabulous cruise!!

Sheila

• Like 1

Thank you LeeAnne. I would have enjoyed meeting your Mom.  Most people in this world couldn't go on a tour to begin with. It's all  about perspective. When we get to travel the world or even within the USA we see that many people have real challenges.  I try to remember that in our day-to-day lives and the way we approach things including cruise travel. 

Keith

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, doglover214 said:

Keith

I am looking forward to following you. I have been reading your blogs for many years, and enjoy hearing your perspective on everything. 
I, too, love the Crystal product(27 cruises)  of the past and know I will love NC. All the puzzle pieces are there for the success of this rebirth. 
I will not be onboard until October, from Quebec, but feel like I am sailing next week. I have read every post, and view the website often for new information. But, hearing from those onboard will be so exciting. 
So, have a safe, fabulous cruise!!

Sheila

Thank you so much Sheila for your good wishes and thoughts.  Your cruise is just around the corner and you have lots to look forward to.

Keith

5 hours ago, Amber14 said:

We cruised on our first smaller cruiseline (Oceania Riviera) last Jan. This January will be our second of this category and smallest ship yet with Crystal Serenity.

That's open to debate.  Almost certainly the least crowded but smallest:

Riviera: 785 feet long, 66,084 GRT, 1250 passengers

Serenity: 820 feet long, 68,870 GRT, 740 passengers.

I think if you do sail Symphony she will be the smallest, but in either case I predict you will be blown away.

Roy

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Amber14 said:

Hi Keith, I have been reading this board since we booked our first ever Crystal cruise. At the time we booked for the itinerary and smaller ship and didn't know much about old Crystal and the bankruptcy. I have really enjoyed reading your posts (and others) and am super excited to hear your thoughts of the first two cruises. I love your positive attitude. We have been on most every big cruiseline and although there were things we didn't like about each, we have always had a great time.  We cruised on our first smaller cruiseline (Oceania Riviera) last Jan. This January will be our second of this category and smallest ship yet with Crystal Serenity. It will also be our first time in a suite (Aquamarine) as all the regular balcony cabins were waitlisted at the time we booked. Thanks for taking us along and sharing your cruise with us!

You are very welcome and congratulations on booking your first Crystal Cruise.Something I believe you will appreciate is the space to guest ratio as Serenity was built to accommodate many more guests but guest capacity has been reduced in a few dry docks including this most recent one with the addition of more suites and the elimination of some of the staterooms.

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

That's open to debate.  Almost certainly the least crowded but smallest:

Riviera: 785 feet long, 66,084 GRT, 1250 passengers

Serenity: 820 feet long, 68,870 GRT, 740 passengers.

I think if you do sail Symphony she will be the smallest, but in either case I predict you will be blown away.

Roy

Wow, I did not realize Serenity was bigger than Riviera! I can't imagine a ship that big with almost half the passengers. We were thrilled with how uncrowded Riviera seemed after crusing on ships with over 3000. You must sometimes feel as if you have the ship to yourself on Serenity or Symphony. I just can't wait to experience it.

• Like 2

I have been asked how could there be 7 ports we have not been to.  We found this to be the case in 2018 when we sailed three port intensive cruises (no sea days) of seven days each right before Serenity went into dry-dock. 

I do keep a listing of ports we have visited which I started several years ago. I may have missed five to ten of them when I put together the list but my blogs helped a great deal to put the list together.  The ports that I believe will be new are:

Cannes, Calvi (Corsica), Ibza, Cartagena, Portomao, Ferrol,

Maybe we've gotten to one of these before but if we did I don't remember so one way or the way it will be new literally or figuratively.

Keith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Maybe we've gotten to one of these before but if we did I don't remember so one way or the way it will be new literally or figuratively.

Isn't that the great thing about getting older...we forget things we've done, so when we do them again they are new! 😝😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Keith, If a person could will a luxury cruise line out of bankruptcy and back to life, seemingly overnight, with a combination of positivity, hopefulness, cheer, karma and a healthy dose of wishful thinking, I'd say you've done your part. I  wish you a great trip. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Keith, If a person could will a luxury cruise line out of bankruptcy and back to life, seemingly overnight, with a combination of positivity, hopefulness, cheer, karma and a healthy dose of wishful thinking, I'd say you've done your part. I  wish you a great trip. 

Thank you. You are very kind.

I do believe that positivity is contagious. 

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

JFontaine what beautiful wording.  I could not have said it nicer myself.  Thank you for saying what we have all been thinking.  I don't think any of us could have really predicted this outcome and it's amazing to see passengers (albeit on a freebie media/industry shake down) walking up the gangway to board Serenity. 

• Like 3