Booked another princess cruise. Can anyone help with a couple of questions

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

at home I use Dilmah Ceylon Supreme which is stronger and "brighter" than regular Dilmah or English Breakfast.

Try a Twinings Assam Bold, far better than English and Irish Breakfast. My new favourite tea by far!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mum and son said:

Try a Twinings Assam Bold, far better than English and Irish Breakfast. My new favourite tea by far!

I've tried regular Assam but not the Bold. But I'm happy with the Ceylon Supreme I use now and it's easy to order it online. 

But again, the chances of finding Assam Bold on a cruise ship would be zero to none too. Fair enough, I guess, they cater for the lowest common denominator not those of us who like different teas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've tried regular Assam but not the Bold. But I'm happy with the Ceylon Supreme I use now and it's easy to order it online. 

But again, the chances of finding Assam Bold on a cruise ship would be zero to none too. Fair enough, I guess, they cater for the lowest common denominator not those of us who like different teas. 

Just like their wines - it needs to be cheap and have a reliable supply.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Just like their wines - it needs to be cheap and have a reliable supply.

Except they don't have reliable supplies. In the cruises we did in the past year Coral Princess (on a couple of the cruises), Grand Princess and Westerdam ran out of English Breakfast tea a few times, especially in their buffets. 

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Except they don't have reliable supplies. In the cruises we did in the past year Coral Princess (on a couple of the cruises), Grand Princess and Westerdam ran out of English Breakfast tea a few times, especially in their buffets. 

I think it was in Feb Grand Princess ran out of Green Tea halfway through a 2 week voyage.  Even in the dining room it was unavailable.  They tried to find me some but to no avail.  

It seemed that we got what food was available when they hit shore.  I remember one voyage in Adelaide that a large shipment of alcohol came onboard which was unusual but there was not much available onboard at the time.  Grand ran out of Stanley Bears around Nov/Dec and that was that.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:00 PM, yes!yes!yes! said:

Just booked a 13 night Grand Princess cruise over Christmas and New Year. I did a 32 night, 3 cruise with this ship last Christmas if anyone can remember the long post I did then. (did 3 cruises with MSC to Norway and Europe in May/June, so haven't been on here for a bit)

I have a couple of questions.

If you are elite, do you still get the chance to change the mini bar for a coffee card ? My mum wont be bothering with the princess plus, but she loves her coffee.

Any recommendations for travel insurance for an 81 year old? (The free Visa platinum insurance cuts out at 81 years of age)

Does anyone know who the cruise director is on Grand?

Thank you in advance for anyone who answers.

As other have said there isn't a coffee card any more but your mother can buy the coffee she likes as she goes.

You can buy internet alone, either for the whole cruise, or for casual days at a time.

Travel insurance - I suggest you check with your particular bank credit insurance. The ANZ platinum visa covers people for cruises they book before their 81st birthday. The actual wording is ýou are aged under 81 years at the time you become eligible for the cover .....'  To become eligible you have to have the relevant CC, spend a minimum of $250 of the cost of the trip on the card, reside in Australia and have a return ticket to Australia. (A cruise counts as a return ticket). There is no restriction on the age of the person when they go on the cruise. 

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That is a just a sign of the times. Like the captain of a 6 star ship trying to raid a Kiwi supermarket for eggs. We have had it hard enough over the past few years on land, whether it be TP, frozen vegs, lettuce, eggs, frozen chips etc. It would be worse if they were trying to maintain reliable stocks of boutique varieties across the fleet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

As other have said there isn't a coffee card any more but your mother can buy the coffee she likes as she goes.

You can buy internet alone, either for the whole cruise, or for casual days at a time.

Travel insurance - I suggest you check with your particular bank credit insurance. The ANZ platinum visa covers people for cruises they book before their 81st birthday. The actual wording is ýou are aged under 81 years at the time you become eligible for the cover .....'  To become eligible you have to have the relevant CC, spend a minimum of $250 of the cost of the trip on the card, reside in Australia and have a return ticket to Australia. (A cruise counts as a return ticket). There is no restriction on the age of the person when they go on the cruise. 

Thank you. Yes. We have used ANZ platinum visa cover up until now. Mum is 81 now and only booked it this week, so looking for a reasonable alternative.

Mum won't bother with internet, I will get the drinks package with wifi, the Princess agent said there might be a sale on that before we sail so to add it later. I  can always use her 50 percent discount  on internet  if I don't.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:00 PM, yes!yes!yes! said:

Any recommendations for travel insurance for an 81 year old? (The free Visa platinum insurance cuts out at 81 years of age)

Have a look at Qantas travel insurance. They will cover over 80 but as always need to read PDS. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 7:31 PM, yes!yes!yes! said:

She will, but so much nicer when they were included. Princess free coffee is awful. She likes the drip filter american style.

Just back from a Carnival cruise. I solved the coffee problem by taking a supply of my favourite coffee grounds and a small coffee plunger. Sometimes I just took hot water from the buffet and made the coffee in my room. Other times I put the coffee in the plunger and took it with me to breakfast, and filled it up there. Every time I did that, someone would comment on what a good idea it was,and how awful the ship coffee was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Just back from a Carnival cruise. I solved the coffee problem by taking a supply of my favourite coffee grounds and a small coffee plunger. Sometimes I just took hot water from the buffet and made the coffee in my room. Other times I put the coffee in the plunger and took it with me to breakfast, and filled it up there. Every time I did that, someone would comment on what a good idea it was,and how awful the ship coffee was.

How do you dispose of the used grounds? Binned?