Marina, dry dock?

Redtravel

Marina had been scheduled for renovations during the pandemic. It got rescheduled.  Think it’s April May 2024? where do they do the dry dock?  How long was Riviera in dry dock?  Did it meet the scheduled time period?  How risky is it to book the first cruise after dry dock? 

40 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Marina had been scheduled for renovations during the pandemic. It got rescheduled.  Think it’s April May 2024? where do they do the dry dock?  How long was Riviera in dry dock?  Did it meet the scheduled time period?  How risky is it to book the first cruise after dry dock? 

Been a topic in a few other threads. Actually it was already refurbished in 2021!! You know, according to the Oceania website!! As I recall from seeing in other threads. It was originally scheduled for 22 days. Riviera was 20 as I recall. Riviera seemed to meets its schedule. Assuming they now figure the gap in cruises from 4/30 -5/17 is sufficient??? Last cruise ends in Trieste and first begins in Barcelona. Not sure where to be dry docked but I did see something when originally scheduled it was to be in Marseille.  But……as noted all speculation since seems to be a big secret and nobody seems to have seen an official ‘official’ announcement from Oceania.  

Dear Redtravel:

We booked the Barcelona to Rome Cruise on Marina ( May 18- June 2) hoping that it was the first cruise after "drydock" even though we have been to many of the ports. The cruise is listed under the summer special sale and is priced $1500+ less per person for most available cabins.

Joel Barry

We booked that cruise. The $1000 shore excursion credit with Simply More compared to previous O life 8 excursions (each cost maximum of $200)for 14 night cruise may not be seen as an improvement.  The excursion prices are high.  Starting to wonder who gets SimplyMore.

• Haha 2

We are also on this itinerary with several repeat ports. When shore excursions were finally loaded in our account on Saturday, but we couldn’t book them, I called Oceania. I was told that they would be loaded in a few days because of it being the first cruise post dry dock and were still being loaded in their system. I was just Informed by another fellow cruiser that they are open this afternoon to book (they weren’t this morning) so I have to believe/hope that it is all a go. SM saved us quite a bit of money so we transferred it after having booked it just before SM with the thought that pricing would go up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We are also on this itinerary with several repeat ports. When shore excursions were finally loaded in our account on Saturday, but we couldn’t book them, I called Oceania. I was told that they would be loaded in a few days because of it being the first cruise post dry dock and were still being loaded in their system. I was just Informed by another fellow cruiser that they are open this afternoon to book (they weren’t this morning) so I have to believe/hope that it is all a go. SM saved us quite a bit of money so we transferred it after having booked it just before SM with the thought that pricing would go up. 

What you saved on the new fare will be spent on the excursions.  Usually with Olife, we booked the allotted “free” excursions and hired private tours for other ports.  

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

What you saved on the new fare will be spent on the excursions.  Usually with Olife, we booked the allotted “free” excursions and hired private tours for other ports.  

I don’t think so. We are DIY people or private. I will use the $1k excursion credit in two tall group tours and call it good. There are specific ports where we will do a ships tour due to geographic locations, and there is one on this itinerary so I am actually pretty happy about that. 
I will say that O excursion prices are pretty pricey and so I am happy to have the option in Tunisia included. 

We are taking the June 13 cruise from Lisbon. Apparently, based on the gap in its schedule, dry dock will run from April 30 to May 18. I do not know how to assess the time required to make the extensive changes that are promised to match the remaking of the Riviera, which is its sister ship. Is this sufficient time to redo all the bathrooms, cabins, restaurants and public areas or will lower categories be unchanged?

@seapointer

Don’t be concerned, you don’t have to worry about it at all, Oceania does and they stand to lose a lot more than you if it takes even a day longer than is scheduled. Fret naught, just go and enjoy and Marina will be beautiful. I dug out my old paper Thesaurus 🤪👍

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

5 hours ago, seapointer said:

We are taking the June 13 cruise from Lisbon. Apparently, based on the gap in its schedule, dry dock will run from April 30 to May 18. I do not know how to assess the time required to make the extensive changes that are promised to match the remaking of the Riviera, which is its sister ship. Is this sufficient time to redo all the bathrooms, cabins, restaurants and public areas or will lower categories be unchanged?

These are the dates confirmed to me on a call last weekend with Oceania customer service. It sounds like this is the time that was allotted for Riviera. We are the May 18th departure and I cannot worry about it or I will drive myself crazy! 

• 4 months later...

On 7/31/2023 at 1:38 PM, seapointer said:

You may have read by now that Oceania, sadly, will not be refurbishing the Marina to the extent they did the Riviera. While the refurb will be extensive and will add the new Aquamor restaurant (which did not happen on Riviera), bathrooms at Concierge level and below on Marina will not be renovated, Supposedly there is "no time" according to an Oceania spokesperson quoted in an earlier thread here on CC.

8 minutes ago, edgee said:

You may have read by now that Oceania, sadly, will not be refurbishing the Marina to the extent they did the Riviera. While the refurb will be extensive and will add the new Aquamor restaurant (which did not happen on Riviera), bathrooms at Concierge level and below on Marina will not be renovated, Supposedly there is "no time" according to an Oceania spokesperson quoted in an earlier thread here on CC.

No time? Well, if time is money, perhaps they use the two words interchangeably.  Not willing to spend the money sounds more likely.  

I'm booked on Marina this February and in May 2025.  If she looks a bit worn in February, I'll reconsider that 2025 cruise.  I suspect she'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

No time? Well, if time is money, perhaps they use the two words interchangeably.  Not willing to spend the money sounds more likely.  

I'm booked on Marina this February and in May 2025.  If she looks a bit worn in February, I'll reconsider that 2025 cruise.  I suspect she'll be fine.

I am on her for 25 day cruise in July and will be in a suposedly fully renovated PH. However it sounds like all cabins will have at least soft good renovations and the rest of the ship will be renovated to the extent the Rivieta was. We will see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

I am on her for 25 day cruise in July and will be in a suposedly fully renovated PH. However it sounds like all cabins will have at least soft good renovations and the rest of the ship will be renovated to the extent the Rivieta was. We will see.

Honestly, I like the tub and shower combo in the B's and A's.  If they upgrade the surfaces in the living area and leave the bathroom alone, I'll be more than satisfied.  O keeps up with maintenance, this isn't Margaritaville at Sea.  

On a different thread, we discussed Jacques aging out. It sounds like with the changes on Marina that La Reserve is doing so likewise. Oceania mostly stopped supporting it by not enhancing it. Repeated menus without updating. Having done all the menus a minimum of twice, some three times, to keep repeat customers at current prices required newer more exciting menus. Not something O does. Riveria will become the only ship( for awhile) with an advanced bookable La Reserve.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Honestly, I like the tub and shower combo in the B's and A's.  If they upgrade the surfaces in the living area and leave the bathroom alone, I'll be more than satisfied.  O keeps up with maintenance, this isn't Margaritaville at Sea.  

Only real problem with current A and B bathrooms is shower is a little small.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Only real problem with current A and B bathrooms is shower is a little small.

I've got 99 problems, but that isn't one 😁 I'm not big and I'm still pretty limber. That, of course, is subject to change without notice, life sometimes comes at you fast.

7 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I've got 99 problems, but that isn't one 😁 I'm not big and I'm still pretty limber. That, of course, is subject to change without notice, life sometimes comes at you fast.

Test is whether you can pick up soap dropped on shower floor without opening shower door. I almost can. ☺️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On a different thread, we discussed Jacques aging out. It sounds like with the changes on Marina that La Reserve is doing so likewise. Oceania mostly stopped supporting it by not enhancing it. Repeated menus without updating. Having done all the menus a minimum of twice, some three times, to keep repeat customers at current prices required newer more exciting menus. Not something O does. Riveria will become the only ship( for awhile) with an advanced bookable La Reserve.

Or it could be they are not wanting to pay the freight for the Wine Spectator partnership. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Or it could be they are not wanting to pay the freight for the Wine Spectator partnership. 

Very true. 🤔. Shedding those outside royalties across the board. Those multi page advertisements in WS can’t be inexpensive either. Wonder how long they’ll last?