First New England Voyage of 2023 Observations/Caribbean Princess

cr8tiv1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Qualifying "Yes, you can purchase".  I had to return to the office to pick up a hard copy.  There was no way I was walking off the ship without verification since nothing was sent to my email account.  Even after returning home, my TA never received notification.  I had to send her the certificate numbers.  

Do it early.  Make sure to get that hard copy.  I have heard that others had done it.  I did check with several people on board before talking to the Future Cruise Department. They told me that I could do it from my room.  I'm sorry...not that trusting.

interesting...I tried last January on the Majestic & was told it was not possible by the future cruise people...maybe it's changed (what Princess change the rules? can't be that) or maybe the person I talked to didn't know what was what (a Princess employee not knowing the rules? that can't be possible either, so maybe I imagined the whole thing 🤪)...glad to know it can be done...thanks for all the info you are sharing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My driver texted me that he was coming from Carl's Jr.  1.8 miles away (30 minutes in traffic).  I'm guessing off of Century Blvd.  Too late, we "should have' done a pick up at departure instead of arrival.  

We picked up Ohana from Maui on the upper departure level at the international terminal…not good either. The airport horseshoe moved rather normally but the main issue was gridlock from all directions approaching LAX.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Haha 1

Started the insurance claim process.  

I called AON this afternoon to find out the steps I need to file a claim. 

877-846-8833

8 AM to 10 PM M- F (I'm guessing EDT)

9 AM to 5 PM Saturdays.

Very nice agent.

1.  Start claim online (needed my name and booking number). She found my PVP and sent me a direct link with my booking number.  Did I say I am not the most organized?  

2.  15 business days to acknowledge opening of claim.

3.  I do need to file a claim with Medicare and my secondary health insurance then submit an EOB to AON when it comes through.   This can be done before or after initializing claim.

I take baby steps.  Today was to call AON.  There's always tomorrow.  Like @Thrak (learning from the best).  I now have a physical folder for papers.  A folder on my laptop for electronic pdfs.  AND a folder in my email for communications.  

This is going to be a long process.  

But I did finally looked at my medical records.  They have me checking in to isolation on July 30 and checking out on August 1 (2 nights).  I was concerned that I did not get that documented.  

Remember Flow Charts?  Maybe that is what I should be doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just following up with some information about the Halifax tour for those who may want to book it. 👍🏻

The first part of your tour will be in the downtown area where he will  fill you in on a bit of history

The tour is structured that it’s just not a drive from place to place, you are learning and seeing as you drive throughout the day. 

-Your first stop will be the Public Gardens, which are lovely. I grabbed a coffee, used the restroom and wandered around-30 Mins
-We then went to the cannon and changing of the guard at the Citadel (You just visit the outside and watch the cannon and guard change)
-We visited 2 of the Titanic Cemeteries 
-Lunch @ Evans
-We then visited a harbour area for about 30 mins with a local shopping area and pier (I walked the pier and along the water's edge, I'm not much of a shopper but got some good photos)
-Fortneedham Memorial Park- I knew nothing about the Halifax explosion and I would say, at least to me it was the most fascinating part of the day. You learn so much about it as you travel around Halifax that it's most fitting that it's the last stop before returning to the ship.
You will learn some Titanic information as well but the Explosion information was far more interesting to me as it was something I have never heard about. 

It was definitely a well rounded day and I felt like I learned so much in just a short time. 
Paul also has a large tablet mounted in the van that he will show images along with youtube videos to supplement what he is talking about
and what you are seeing.

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Started the insurance claim process.  

I called AON this afternoon to find out the steps I need to file a claim. 

877-846-8833

8 AM to 10 PM M- F (I'm guessing EDT)

9 AM to 5 PM Saturdays.

Very nice agent.

1.  Start claim online (needed my name and booking number). She found my PVP and sent me a direct link with my booking number.  Did I say I am not the most organized?  

2.  15 business days to acknowledge opening of claim.

3.  I do need to file a claim with Medicare and my secondary health insurance then submit an EOB to AON when it comes through.   This can be done before or after initializing claim.

I take baby steps.  Today was to call AON.  There's always tomorrow.  Like @Thrak (learning from the best).  I now have a physical folder for papers.  A folder on my laptop for electronic pdfs.  AND a folder in my email for communications.  

This is going to be a long process.  

But I did finally looked at my medical records.  They have me checking in to isolation on July 30 and checking out on August 1 (2 nights).  I was concerned that I did not get that documented.  

Remember Flow Charts?  Maybe that is what I should be doing.  

Sounds like you have a good handle on how to approach this!  I do very much the same.  Hang in there!

• Thanks 1

The only way to have things like that "display" is to have them in a web graphic type format (.JPG, etc.).  I tried for the longest when I uploaded Patters for our recent Iceland/Norway cruise.  I have a desktop scanner...I scanned them all into one *single* PDF so that you don't have so many files to download.

@Rick&Jeannie  Not so old school by oldER poster.  Thank goodness for the scan document on iPhone notes app.  At least I could do that.  Then I air dropped to a folder on my computer.  I knew that I could take a photo of each, but it would have been much harder to work with (editing, resizing, and cropping).

Were you able to open and download the PDF links?  If so, then this was a success.

Bureaucracy at its finest.  Chatted with Medicare to get help in filling out my claim form.  Got it in the mail this afternoon.  Now it is a wait and see game.  Up to 60 days for Medicare to review claim (to be denied), passed on to my Secondary Insurance, wait for them to send me an Explanation of Benefits...then upload to AON.  Maybe I will know something before my 2025 final payment is due.  Why couldn't I submit this online (rhetorical question/I know the answer)?

Not sure if I will get FCC or refund for 2 days in isolation.  

Anything at this point is gravy since Medical Center visit was deducted from Non-Refundable OBC.

• Like 1

One more thought (with, I'm sure, many more will follow).

Suites and Elites have free laundry.  I found it surprising that there was no debit/credit entries on my folio for the 4 times I sent out laundry.  That was a welcome surprise.  Such a redundant accounting.  

• Like 1

@Jadn13 per recommendation…I have a few questions.  

My October cruise shortened AND changed our port hours. We will be in Halifax from 7 AM to 3 PM.  I was looking at the tour you suggested.  6 hours, starting at 9:30.  Not going to work.

I will contact them by email tomorrow.  But will anything be open that early?

How much time did you have after getting back to the ship?  I would guess all aboard would be 2:30.  

This is a little risky, at best.

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Jadn13 per recommendation…I have a few questions.  

My October cruise shortened AND changed our port hours. We will be in Halifax from 7 AM to 3 PM.  I was looking at the tour you suggested.  6 hours, starting at 9:30.  Not going to work.

I will contact them by email tomorrow.  But will anything be open that early?

How much time did you have after getting back to the ship?  I would guess all aboard would be 2:30.  

This is a little risky, at best.

Thanks. 

Since it’s a small tour, depending on other ships in port  (we didn’t have any) he may shape it around port times. 
I would still reach out.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 8:18 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Bureaucracy at its finest.  Chatted with Medicare to get help in filling out my claim form.  Got it in the mail this afternoon.  Now it is a wait and see game.  Up to 60 days for Medicare to review claim (to be denied), passed on to my Secondary Insurance, wait for them to send me an Explanation of Benefits...then upload to AON.  Maybe I will know something before my 2025 final payment is due. 

You may need a lot of patience.  My husband had a terrible accident at the Civitavecchia port terminal on November 17, 2022.  He was in Italy hospitals until December 3, 2022, before we were finally able to return home.  I didn't get our trip interruption claim filed until the end of that month because we were so busy with "getting well."  By the time it made it through all the hoops, AON finalized the claim on July 12, 2023.  Never once did they have to ask us for additional information or documentation, which means the delay in the process was all on AON, not on us (or our Medicare/private insurance).

• Thanks 1

@beckntom Last year, my sister had to put in a claim for "our" cruise.  I didn't have to do anything but go on the cruise as a solo.  My supplement kicked in from the insurance.  But I did have to "chase" and follow up often.  Ended up writing a letter and someone did call me and the claim was finally settled.  

I have all the time in the world.  My next final payment isn't due until Spring of next year (I will apply FCC/cash reimbursement) to that cruise.  I am really good about following up and monitoring responses.  

Thank you for the heads up.

• Like 2

This portion of the voyage is over.  But I will be repeating most of the ports when we all take the Caribbean Princess back to Port Everglades.  As the volunteer in the Quebec Terminal Information Counter said....bring your heavier coat, it will be cold.  

Thank you all for taking this ride with me.  Thank you to @Jadn13 who contributed to the thread with lovely photos. And all (too many to mention) for your well wishes for a speedy recovery and for following our journey.

a hui hou, until we meet again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here is the rest of the paper work handed out during the 13 days.  These are for the Suite and/or Elite.

Captain Circle.pdf 4.13 MB · 1 download

Suite.pdf 466.62 kB · 2 downloads

Suite Invitation.pdf 4.13 MB · 3 downloads

Toilet.pdf 4.13 MB · 0 downloads

Our neighbors figuratively "didn't get the memo" about the toilet, and we received $25 each for a non-working toilet on the morning we arrived in Boston. We just used the bathroom down the hall, then were ashore all day. 

• Like 1