First New England Voyage of 2023 Observations/Caribbean Princess

cr8tiv1

Thanks for posting this thread! We’ll be on the CB on its October leg from Quebec back to Ft Lauderdale in a VS, along with a 5-day pre-cruise land tour, and are really looking forward to the cooler weather. As you know it’s been pretty toasty here in Japan and even hotter back home in Alabama. 😁

Here’s hoping you have a great cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Confirming one long line to get inside the terminal.  No elite line for this voyage.  First queue to security took about 20-30 minutes.  I kept asking every agent if there was an elite line.  

That's very different than our recent experience.  We boarded the Caribbean Princess on July 1st in Port Everglades at about 11 am and there were two lines.  I noticed because we were traveling with our 2 kids, their spouses and 2 granddaughters, none of whom are elite, and we stayed in line with them.  Elites walked right in the priority door at that time and our line moved quickly.  I think we were at security within 7 minutes and DH and I walked right thru check-in.  We already had our Medallions and there was no line whatsoever for a check-in agent.  The kids and granddaughters took less than 10 minutes to pick up their Medallions and get checked-in.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Finally, we were on the CB for 14 days in June. They had "technical difficulties" and the ship's maximum speed was limited to somewhere between 17 and 18 knots. Is this still the case? If it is I suspect that contributed to the CB's late arrival into FLL. They didn't have the extra "oomph" to overcome the headwinds.

We were on the CB the first week in July.  There were no "technical difficulties" and speeds were up to 20 - 21 knots the few times I checked.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My excursion to Williamsburg meeting time was at 8:45.

Not surprised they would have this as an excursion, but must be wicked in summer heat and humidity.  We have been there a couple of times and took kids once.

I wonder if they also have a ship tour to Busch Gardens theme park and Water Country USA.  Of course, guests could go on their own.  We rarely do a ship tour, but I have yet to see a theme park one offered and wondering it they do.  Why am I asking - I can look it up for myself as I often wish other posters would familiarize themselves with Princess.com information.  And the answer is:  NO.

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

That's very different than our recent experience.  We boarded the Caribbean Princess on July 1st in Port Everglades at about 11 am and there were two lines.  I noticed because we were traveling with our 2 kids, their spouses and 2 granddaughters, none of whom are elite, and we stayed in line with them.  Elites walked right in the priority door at that time and our line moved quickly.  I think we were at security within 7 minutes and DH and I walked right thru check-in.  We already had our Medallions and there was no line whatsoever for a check-in agent.  The kids and granddaughters took less than 10 minutes to pick up their Medallions and get checked-in.

Us too.  I think they are going into their new mode for Aug 1st already with 1 line.

we boarded Saturday also. We arrived  at 1100. Very different experience than mentioned above. We were asked if we had our medallions and passports (we did) and within 10 minutes were past security and sitting in the elite lounge in the terminal. Soon thereafter we were on board. As usual we found the process efficient. 

For what its worth there were a whole bunch of travelers that looked confused and frustrated.

For us so far its been another great. cruise...... as I type and look NYC skyline we are blessed....

. Food in dining room GREAT!  Service in Crooners almost non existent at times....I will try to push on past that hardship!

I would really have to search my brain to find any real disappointing experience so far.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Internet has been okay.  It was down on embarkation day for a couple of hours.  And one other time (can’t remember which day for a couple of hours).  It’s spotting in some places on the ship until it switches over to the closest router.  This is the speed while in NYC today.

IMG_4534.thumb.png.e9f9bfc2d0070c041c5484ff28054325.png

• Like 3

But I am getting ahead of myself.  Where was I?

Second Sea Day (4)

Enrichment lecturers:  I have heard better, I have heard worse.  There is a destination expert and a historian onboard.  Watching the destination videos in the cabin. Also attended a superb Officer presentation in the Explorations Lounge.  He was a junior officer from Ireland.  He was a hoot.  It was on Navigation.  

Hearsay says I did not miss much about the Rhythms in Harmony.  Broadway Ballroom was excellent. Sat next to a mom of one of the cast members.  We discussed the lack of seats in the Princess Theater.  Her thoughts were that it would be very hard on the cast to do 3 performances a night.  Maybe…..2 performances back to back days might be a good thing.  I’ll give up a comedian.  Standing room only for both 7:30 and 9:30 shows (by 15 minutes prior).

Extra evening guest artist was in the Explores Lounge.  Music/Motown..not..from the 60’s was a “screamer”. I left after 2 songs.

Yesterday’s Pub Lunch was held in the MDR.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Internet has been okay.  It was down on embarkation day for a couple of hours.  And one other time (can’t remember which day for a couple of hours).  It’s spotting in some places on the ship until it switches over to the closest router.  This is the speed while in NYC today.

IMG_4534.thumb.png.e9f9bfc2d0070c041c5484ff28054325.png

Glad to see the Starlink is now active. In June we were up playing pickleball when the Starlink folks showed up to begin installation of the antennas on top of Skywalkers. It looked very odd to see them walk on the top of the "habitrail" leading to Skywalkers and then start welding on its roof.

• Like 1

Suite passengers do not have reserved seats in the theater.  Only for Premier.  The small amount of seats seem to be sufficient.  They are releasing more than half 5 minutes before show time.  People are lining up against the wall for freed seats by intent or accident.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Suite passengers do not have reserved seats in the theater.  Only for Premier.  The small amount of seats seem to be sufficient.  They are releasing more than half 5 minutes before show time.  People are lining up against the wall for freed seats by intent or accident.  

The set-up looks the same as on our July 1st CB cruise and the seats never filled up at the early shows until released 5 minutes before the show began.

• Like 1

The Captain made an announcement while I was at dinner.  His first words out was asking all of us to give him our full attention.  There was an immediate hush/silence by all.  He explained that the weather was not favorable for tendering in Newport due to wind conditions.  They would be suspending this port for a direct sail to Boston. 

We would then have a full day in Boston compared to the abbreviated itinerary change.  Unfortunately, rain is expected to be 100%.  

I was expecting a rough night.  He must have taken the ship far enough out because it was a great sleep.  We are still sailing at a reduced speed due to whale migrations.  The ocean is a little more turbulent than the past few days.  CB is handling the transit very well.  

Back to previous programming (NYC) in a few.  

Newport.pages

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

Wednesday was NYC.  I choose not to get off the ship in the heat.  Instead, I enjoyed the views from afar.  The Red Hook ferry seems to be just outside the terminal.  I never saw a ferry come/go. 

We were given customs forms that were due on Newport day.  An officer told me:

A couple of officers will be working with Canadian CBP at arrival to Saint John.  
Canada will face to face with a few Canadians.

Canada will do face to face with a select group of passengers. 
Ship will be cleared before disembarkation for the day.

IMG_4535.jpeg

• Like 1