Amsterdam Hotel with elevator and reasonable price

We will be in Amsterdam next year end of July into August for 3 nights. We are looking for a hotel that has an elevator and is close to Dam Square or Central station or close to tram stop. Pricing seems crazy expensive for what I have found. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice hotel that is more budget friendly for our pre cruise stay? Thanks in advance.

The Doubletree near Centraal Station is popular with cruisers due its proximity to both the station and the port. But, as with most Amsterdam hotels, prices have doubled this year and it’s no longer a cheap option.

But there’s another Doubletree at NDSM Wharf, across the river, which is often much cheaper and is easily accessible via frequent free ferry from behind the station.

Also check out the ibis Amsterdam Centre, right next to Centraal Station. They’re a reliable no-frills budget chain.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Please define "reasonable ". That is a really subjective term and not always related to actual conditions on the ground. 

Something $200 or under. It has been a couple of years, actually before Covid , since we were in Amsterdam and boy are the prices a lot higher than I remember. 

You’ll be lucky to find anything in central Amsterdam for under $300 these days, let alone $200.

You should think about looking further out of town - eg down near the RAI convention centre or the Amsterdam ArenA where rates are lower. They’re both on the train and the metro so very accessible, if not exactly in the centre of the action.

• Like 1

your requirements for location etc drives the price out of your range without compromises.  It is not likely you are going to find anything in the core that is modern enough to have an elevator in your price range.  You might be able to find a small private hotel or B&B that has a ground floor (not first floor) room.  Most places I have been have the ground floor given over to reception and social area.  Sometimes a small coffee bar or breakfast eating area.

because so many small hotels and B&B are in historic buildings, you are not going to find elevators nor spacious rooms. Though as a cruiser, you probably can cope with small rooms.  by booking early you may be able to find someplace with a ground floor room

At over a year out, it is hard to find accurate price quotes.  In fact some hotels will not book that far out.  Plus you are quoting for the middle of peak tourist season.

The Holiday Inn Express at Sloterdijk Station might be a compromise.   Removed from the center but at a location with easy access to the Metro and Trams.  

• Like 1

Hotel Jakarta 749 euros end July 2024 for 3 nights. AC, elevator, pool, great spa with massages for 69 euro this summer and breakfast included. Rooms are bigger than average European hotels and very clean. Comfy beds. Late night bar, restaurant, bakery and in room fridge with included water and in room coffee. Bus 43 very easy to central station, stops next to the hotel. Tap on/off with your credit card or smartphone. 

Although hotel prices have shot up, I have found that the prices in hotel points have not gone up (at least not yet) so if you have reward points with a hotel chain maybe use those.   Since you are a year out, you might have time to get a sign up bonus with a hotel credit card and get 2 or 3 nights for free.   I am thinking Hilton card and the doubletree, but there could be others.   Just a thought. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:00 PM, Love 2 Travel said:

Something $200 or under. It has been a couple of years, actually before Covid , since we were in Amsterdam and boy are the prices a lot higher than I remember. 

You're going to have to adjust either your budget, your expectations, or your requirements.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 1:00 PM, Love 2 Travel said:

I just did a quick look on Bookings. I put in a date the end of July and here is what I came up with.  For the cheaper price they might be prepaid rooms. I did find rooms for just slightly more that are cancelable and no prepayment so it is indeed possible. 

You can write and ask about elevators in the comments (requests when booking). We found the innkeepers to be pretty quick to respond. 

IMG_5828.thumb.jpeg.cae9a68682e6a320509a048071cc544c.jpeg

Edited by mauimary

1 hour ago, mauimary said:

I just did a quick look on Bookings. I put in a date the end of July and here is what I came up with.  For the cheaper price they might be prepaid rooms. I did find rooms for just slightly more that are cancelable and no prepayment so it is indeed possible. 

You can write and ask about elevators in the comments (requests when booking). We found the innkeepers to be pretty quick to respond. 

IMG_5828.thumb.jpeg.cae9a68682e6a320509a048071cc544c.jpeg

We actually booked the NH Amsterdam Caransa a few weeks ago. We use booking.com and have the genius 2 discount. Not a bad price at all for Amsterdam and the tram stops right out front. Nice location. Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love 2 Travel said:

We actually booked the NH Amsterdam Caransa a few weeks ago. We use booking.com and have the genius 2 discount. Not a bad price at all for Amsterdam and the tram stops right out front. Nice location. Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.

I was happy to see it was indeed possible.  I’m glad you were able to find a place that will work for you. You are in a really fun walkable location.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...