Children's Birth Certifcate

tvo7

I will be cruising out of Galveston to Western Carribean on Thanksgiving week.  Due to high conflict divorce, I do not know if mom of children will surrender their passports to me.  My travel agent told me that, based on my cruise, that I can use birth certificate instead of passport for the kids 10,8,8.  

I just got the birth certificate, it looks official from the state, but it just says on there DOB, file number and name.  No foot imprint or any pictures.  

Has anyone used a birth certificate to get on board?  If so, does this sound right to you?

8 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I will be cruising out of Galveston to Western Carribean on Thanksgiving week.  Due to high conflict divorce, I do not know if mom of children will surrender their passports to me.  My travel agent told me that, based on my cruise, that I can use birth certificate instead of passport for the kids 10,8,8.  

I just got the birth certificate, it looks official from the state, but it just says on there DOB, file number and name.  No foot imprint or any pictures.  

Has anyone used a birth certificate to get on board?  If so, does this sound right to you?

Ones from the state don't have the foot prints or pictures.  Those are hospital ones and you can't use those to board anyway.  You need the official ones from the state, which it sounds like you have. Do you have joint custody and an agreement where either of you can take the kids out of the country. I ask because you say it's a high conflict divorce and if she won't surrender passports, that usually means she doesn't want you to take the kids out of the country.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

Birth certificates are fine... 

But, if the surnames of any of the kids don't match yours, your TA needs to help you find the right forms to fill out and you may need the passport. 

You should also get your TA to verify the documentation requirements for a single parent traveling with kids. 

I point at your TA to answer the questions, thereby making it their responsibility should you be denied boarding. 

@Ferry Watcher, who currently is a person who checks people in for sailings at the cruise port in Seattle just recently stated that they have been directed by RCCL to check for proper documentation which includes a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent permission to the traveling adult to take the children out of the country.

I believe somebody who does the same job in Miami port confirmed that they have also received this directive.

Here's a link to the thread

Edited by klfrodo

The children's last name is same as mine.

The divorce just says that if it take them out of country, I have to notify other person either email or divorce app that I am taking out of country at least 3 weeks beforehand.   She flew them to Cancun previously and just emailed the notification to me.  

For passports, I previously requested her for them just to test her out and she "did not get the messages from the divorce app" despite me sending 3 weekly requests for them. 

I think for the notary requirement is if the children are not yours, you have to get a notarized letter from a parent. 

Edited by tvo7

16 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

The children's last name is same as mine.

The divorce just says that if it take them out of country, I have to notify other person either email or divorce app that I am taking out of country at least 3 weeks beforehand.   She flew them to cancun previously and just emailed the notification to me.  

In addition to birth certificate you will need a notarized letter from your wife giving you permission to take them out of the US. This is now being enforced.  If it were her taking them OOC, you would need to give her a notarized letter agreeing also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

@Ferry Watcher, who currently is a person who checks people in for sailings at the cruise port in Seattle just recently stated that they have been directed by RCCL to check for proper documentation which includes a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent permission to the traveling adult to take the children out of the country.

I believe somebody who does the same job in Miami port confirmed that they have also received this directive.

Here's a link to the thread

Agree. Besides that where I'm at couldn't take Kids more then 3hrs away or out of State w/o Ex's permission. For Cruise might want ask your Attorney 

8 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I think for the notary requirement is if the children are not yours, you have to get a notarized letter from a parent. 

When we cruised with my MIL, SIL and 2 minor nieces, SIL needed the notarized form. Her last names are the same as the nieces. Ex-BIL complained about wasting his time to go to notary but at least he went so the girls could go and have a good time. As one poster stated, they are apparently starting to enforce this rule. As an ER nurse, who is required to be educated on the subject, I feel this may be due to the crackdown on human trafficking of minors. 

We have a similar issue (daughter/Granddaughter) and before booking a family cruise, I asked Royal and here was the response.

Thank you so much for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. My name is Kaitlyn; I work in the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean. I am pleased to respond on behalf of our executives.

If only one parent/guardian is sailing with their minor child with the child's proper travel documentation, a notarized letter from the other parent or legal guardian (divorced or not) is not required. However, some airlines do require such letters from the other parent/guardian to fly a child, particularly on international flights. If you are having to fly, I would check with the ariline. 

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's proper travel documentation (valid passport book and visa (if required)) and the child's birth certificate (original or certified copy). The name of the parent and the child must be linked through bridging legal documentation. If she was not married to the father, I would assume her maiden name would be listed on her daughters birth certificate which would provide the verification needed. 

Just off  Allure in Galveston a few weeks ago.  Slightly different situation as I was traveling with my son and his friend. Friend did not have passport.  HIs DL (he is 17), Official Birth certificate and the Royal/Celebrity's template form notarized by his mother.  Check in agent matched him to his DL then matched that to the notarized letter ensuring he was the subject of the letter and more importantly that the person that signed the letter was listed on his birth certificate.  Maybe took 30 seconds and then we were onboard.

Edited by chfenton
typo

I am thinking about this now. I cruise with my minor daughter and have never had anyone ask about another parent (there isn't one) or request a letter. 

Edited by moposh

I called TA, Royal Carribean, and customs who enforces rules in Galveston.

TA says usually they don't check or ask for notarized signature from other parent but not always 100%.

Rc Cs says I need letter from other parent even though I have birth certificate and  have joint custody.  They told me to call customs enforcement in Galveston since they could give better answer.  Even if we were not divorced, if mom does not come, then I need the notarized letter.  Rc website does not say anything about notarized letter if I am the dad with same last name.

I called customs officer in Galveston who enforces the rule.   He says show my passport and birth certificates.  If officer asks for anything more, then show the divorce decree to him showing him I have custody of the children that week and I will be fine.

The reason why I will never talk to the other side again is she threatened me multiple times during divorce. I will no longer talk or have anything to do with her.  I pick up kids on my day and drop off.  That is it.  So I highly doubt, she will fill out a form, go get it notarized, and send it back to me when she would not even give me passports one time before.

Any recent single.parent cruisers have to get other parent to do the notarized letter on a cruise from closed circuit trip from Us?

Edited by tvo7
  • Like 1

Ok, I called RC again, who researched.  They said since I am dad, same last name, kids less than 16, then I dont need that notarized letter.  He also said the website says the same thing what he just said.  He gave me his name and department to call if I get stopped in the terminal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I called customs officer in Galveston who enforces the rule.   He says show my passport and birth certificates.  If officer asks for anything more, then show the divorce decree to him showing him I have custody of the children that week and I will be fine.

You won't see immigration until your trip is over. So I don't think that matters. Really what you need to worry about is what Royal wants to see from you at boarding or rather their pier workers. Some have said that in the last couple of weeks Royal has started requiring a notorized permission. However we can't really be sure how much they will enforce that. My guess is that if they ask for it and you don't have it they will attempt to contact the mother. That is what happened to someone in a group with us on another cruise line. They contacted the father. That turned out okay because no matter how much the father might have been on bad terms with the mother he loved the kid and was not going to say no....

9 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

Ok, I called RC again, who researched.  They said since I am dad, same last name, kids less than 16, then I dont need that notarized letter.  He also said the website says the same thing what he just said.  He gave me his name and department to call if I get stopped in the terminal.

You could call the RC call center reps 10 times and get different answers each time. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You could call the RC call center reps 10 times and get different answers each time. 

I believe you now.  Everyone gives a different answer.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You won't see immigration until your trip is over. So I don't think that matters. Really what you need to worry about is what Royal wants to see from you at boarding or rather their pier workers. Some have said that in the last couple of weeks Royal has started requiring a notorized permission. However we can't really be sure how much they will enforce that. My guess is that if they ask for it and you don't have it they will attempt to contact the mother. That is what happened to someone in a group with us on another cruise line. They contacted the father. That turned out okay because no matter how much the father might have been on bad terms with the mother he loved the kid and was not going to say no....

Well, if they try to contact mother.  She either won't pick up or say no.  

I wish Travel Agent would have told me about the notarized letter before I booked the cruise.  If there was any doubt,  I would not have booked it.  She just said only thing I need is the birth certificates and I am good to go.

39 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I wish Travel Agent would have told me about the notarized letter before I booked the cruise.  If there was any doubt,  I would not have booked it.  She just said only thing I need is the birth certificates and I am good to go.

What advice did your attorney give you when you told them you wanted to take your children out of the country for a quick vacation?

55 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

That is what the executive office told me as well.  I do read of a lot of parens  traveling alone with kids as one spouse is working, Never heard that they would need the notarized letter.

I think the letter is if you are traveling with a minor with different last name and you are not on the BC as a parent.  

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

What advice did your attorney give you when you told them you wanted to take your children out of the country for a quick vacation?

Standard custody in Texas just states that if I take them out of country on vacation, I have to notify through app before 3 weeks that I am taking them.  No need for permission if I am on my custody time.

I am not worried about the law taking them out.  More about will RC let me board  with no notarized letter.

Edited by tvo7

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

That is what the executive office told me as well.  I do read of a lot of parens  traveling alone with kids as one spouse is working, Never heard that they would need the notarized letter.

I think the letter is if you are traveling with a minor with different last name and you are not on the BC as a parent.  

You have traveled on RC with your kids and they did not require the notarized letter?