Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

24 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Like, what does the $14.95 cover, anywhere on the ship delivery except stateroom or anywhere you are regardless?

Has been clarified via a post above that the $15 Ocean Now fee does cover delivery to cabin.  The RS charge is only if you order by phone.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Has been clarified via a post above that the $15 Ocean Now fee does cover delivery to cabin.  The RS charge is only if you order by phone.

So if you know you plan on making three or more room service orders then it's best for you to activate the app for 15 bucks.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Point taken. I guess Alfredo’s is the only one we go to, so the others were never on my radar anyway.

Same here.  We would frequent Alfredo’s often.  And they can accommodate my husband’s request for no sauce on the pizza (due to dietary restrictions).  I doubt they will make him a special pizza on Lido deck.  

We also paid for Plus when our cruise first came out.  And it’s annoying  that they move the goal post….Plus 50, Plus 60.  Those who bought Plus 60, may soon need to pay Plus 70 to get other items that were once included. 

We had sailed NCL, then Royal Caribbean before becoming Princess loyalist.   Not saying we won’t be cruising Princess anymore but we’ll be exploring other lines now.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

So if I use the tv in the cabin, I pay a one time fee of $14.95?  No delivery?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

It's directly from the website. Encouraging you to look it up yourself

Screenshot_20230727-174736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.44c752e40ad733ac1e78e5a607be26c4.jpg

@yeoman there isn't inconsistent messaging on Princess.Com, it's actually incredibly clear. I'm not on FB so the only way I know what's coming down the pipeline is thru cruise critic & rechecking Princess news releases

I have a few of cruises booked with the older plus package.  For the next one up, it is on the Ruby so, I’m going to activate the ocean now function in my app and it will show $15 added to my folio on my first order.  My DH can’t be bothered to use the app so, I will just do all the ordering.  
Since there is no Alfredo’s or GiGis on the Ruby, I may get a small A la carte item from the Salty Dog GastroPub now it is offered that way.  So, I figure it will probably be another $10 each for dining there.  There was too much food offered previously with the $18 pp cover charge.  So, even if we do the Salty Dog twice, that would be about an additional $40.

$60 if we went twice with the price fixed menu.  I’m now up to $55-$75 in extra charges, which my OBC will cover.  It just doesn’t make sense to upgrade to the new plus package for us at a cost of $200 when it will be covered for $55-$75.  Previously, if I went to the Salty Dog twice, the charge would be $72.  So now, this actually saves me money. 

Now, if I can’t find any wines I like that fit into the plus package, we may just upgrade to the premier package, so that will all be a moot point.  The upgrade fee would be $600, though, so will have to think about that.  It will give us more dining options as well as better wines, photos, prizes, etc.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

So if you know you plan on making three or more room service orders then it's best for you to activate the app for 15 bucks.

Confused:  it has been stated here that the $15 fee "does not cover room service".  Are you saying that it does?

• Like 1

So, I booked premiere package pre Dec 2022.

I was 100% ok with not getting the new extra perks.

im 100% annoyed about getting less than what I booked, which is exactly what’s happened for anyone on standard, and also Plus & Premier pre December 2022

guess we’ll be paying $14.99 x 3 for our trip on 19th August.

The marketing spin on this is quite remarkable really. Not convinced many already booked are going ‘brilliant, I’m getting more for my cash now!’

I foresee a lot of agitated passengers on our cruise on Sky from Southampton

I’m getting my venting out of the way now before I go though. Because with our cruise being just one week after the new charges that come into effect I’m already feeling bad for the staff. let’s hope people remember it’s not their fault. please.

and breath….

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The only change is Alfredo's/Gigi's where it was free and now incurs a fee for all food items (menu pricing TBA). 

The second impact is they will give free food to Plus package twice per voyage (a bad way to do it since quite unfair for longer voyages versus short ones).  And Premier gets unlimited. 

So, both Standard and Plus are impacted by the new policy to charge for Alfredo's and Gigi's.  

Exactly.  Princess P.R. is claiming that the new Plus pkg adds "value" to what they previously offered.  It clearly does not.  I guess they have concluded that most guest are obtuse and will not notice.

... On a side note, I really hate it when business offer up propaganda P.R. as I feel it insults my intelligence.  I would have more respect for a more honesty based explanation or justification. When companies make a concerted effort to play games with me, I want to jump ship to another company with my business.  (pun intended).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Surprised we have not heard from the "phone goes into the safe" crowd.  They will only be able to use TV to order or do what they used to do.  But if they were used to picking up cabin phone to order from RS each day, they will now have $5/event additional charge to cabin account.  This is why I think extra tipping is going to do down.

I'd like to know if any of the $15 and $5 is going to crew appreciation pool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Just curious, has anyone ever asked a crew member what the percentage of people on board who book with premiere? I'd be very curious to know if it's a decent amount or not who opt for that package.

The thread on here about angry passengers reaction to reserved seats for Premier guests on Sky Princess said there were 150 seats reserved for them in the theatre. If that can be used as an indicator of total Premier guests and, if the cruise was full capacity, then that would only be 4% of those onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Confused:  it has been stated here that the $15 fee "does not cover room service".  Are you saying that it does?

I have modified my initial thinking that it likely did not, but wasn't totally sure.  We have clarity from Princess on that now.  It did seem at first these were separate things, but not the case as the $15 Ocean Now is sufficient to cover delivery to cabin.

See Post #576

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

So, I booked premiere package pre Dec 2022.

I was 100% ok with not getting the new extra perks.

im 100% annoyed about getting less than what I booked, which is exactly what’s happened for anyone on standard, and also Plus & Premier pre December 2022

guess we’ll be paying $14.99 x 3 for our trip on 19th August.

The marketing spin on this is quite remarkable really. Not convinced many already booked are going ‘brilliant, I’m getting more for my cash now!’

I foresee a lot of agitated passengers on our cruise on Sky from Southampton

I’m getting my venting out of the way now before I go though. Because with our cruise being just one week after the new charges that come into effect I’m already feeling bad for the staff. let’s hope people remember it’s not their fault. please.

and breath….

Agreed! Let's all pray for these hard-working crew onboard!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Surprised we have not heard from the "phone goes into the safe" crowd.  They will only be able to use TV to order or do what they used to do.  But if they were used to picking up cabin phone to order from RS each day, they will now have $5/event additional charge to cabin account.  This is why I think extra tipping is going to do down.

I'd like to know if any of the $15 and $5 is going to crew appreciation pool.

I feel very doubtful that that money will be going to that crew appreciation pull unfortunately. Which is so sad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That will be like using Ocean Now.  The $5 RS fee is when you pick up the phone and order from RS.

I wonder how many guests actually use the phone to order RS.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have modified my initial thinking that it likely did not, but wasn't totally sure.  We have clarity from Princess on that now.  It did seem at first these were separate things, but not the case as the $15 Ocean Now is sufficient to cover delivery to cabin.

THANK YOU!!! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

#1 may be up for question,  My interpretation has been that Ocean Now fee doesn't cover cabin as "my location".  Could be wrong.

#2.  All of the discussion was centered around packages - Suites are not getting a special exemption.  I imagine if I was booking a Suite, I'd also be booking a package.

#3.  A bust why?  Have lots of people not been able to get into SD?

#4.  When pigs fly.

1. Surely, you’ll be able to use “locate” shipmates on the kiosks around the elevators?  

2. Surely, Suite guests will not be charged $5 RS?  They can order off the MDR menu to their cabin.  Surely, they won’t charge for that RS?

Still many things to clarify.  Hopefully, we will find out next month from guests OB.

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

They will charge a one-time fee of $14.99 for room service IF you don't have Plus or Premier.

The 14.99 is a one time charge for ordering through the app.  not a one time fee for room service. you can order room service using other methods without incurring that fee, only the $5 per order.

My thought process for the introduction of these changes more specifically in regards to upcharges of casual dining is to pave the way of what possibly could be coming when the sun princess comes out. Meaning there might be new casual dining options onboard this this new class of ships.

3 minutes ago, JLC0912 said:

Exactly.  Princess P.R. is claiming that the new Plus pkg adds "value" to what they previously offered.  It clearly does not.  I guess they have concluded that most guest are obtuse and will not notice.

... On a side note, I really hate it when business offer up propaganda P.R. as I feel it insults my intelligence.  I would have more respect for a more honesty based explanation or justification. When companies make a concerted effort to play games with me, I want to jump ship to another company with my business.  (pun intended).

PCL hacks have always said the packages add value for guests out of the gate.  This is not going to change and it presumes the guest consumes a certain amount of beverages.

What they choose to ignore is that everyone is different and as many threads have discussed and debated on this forum, value of the packages is an individual thing for each guest based on their cruising habits.

Next, if we accept the change that Alfredo's/Gigi's is now going to be a cost location to eat at, and the guest otherwise perceives value in the packages, then PCL has increased the value in the package by either eliminating costs for all fee-based casual dining (more places than Alfredo's) - or providing guests two free visits per voyage.  I agree the latter is not worth so much especially on a long voyage, but it is something and no doubt PCL would love to see more guests take up the Premier rather than the Plus. 

Finally, I have read that other lines have service charges for RS and such - and higher amounts than PCL.  So, new charges for RS and delivery to personal location is just another thing we have to accept, or take vacation dollars elsewhere.  Again, with these new charges in place - and removed for package buyers, PCL has made cruising better for them as they are unaffected by implementation of new fees.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JLC0912 said:

On a side note, I really hate it when business offer up propaganda P.R. as I feel it insults my intelligence.  I would have more respect for a more honesty based explanation or justification. When companies make a concerted effort to play games with me, I want to jump ship to another company with my business.  (pun intended).

Any company I encounter that is selling me something likes to trumpet good news and say little or nothing about bad news.  Its systemic IMO.

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Now I’m confused too. You say there is clarity from PCL?

If you Pay or initiate the $15 APP ocean now fee for delivery…there will not be a separate $5 RS fee?

If I want RS and order using the APP (after I paid the $15 fee) I won’t have to pay additional $5?  

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2