Passengers argument with staff in theter

antsp

Things got a little heated in the Princess Theatre last night, spotlight bar was on and 40mins before the show the theatre was full,except for 150 reserved seats for Princess Premier passengers. About 15 seats or so were taken, the rest remaining empty . The officers checking people in got a lot of arguments from passengers stood in the aisle as there was no seating left. Someone higher up came and sorted it out, and eventually about 10mis before show start and let passenger be seated. Passengers not happy and it left a nasty atmosphere in the area.

This situation could be managed so much better, by Princess asking those with Premier package do they want reserved seats for the evenings production show and only removing those seats (not 150) Princess need to sort it..... 

• Like 7

I agree with kywildcatfanone's comments.  One of the reasons Princess was my preferred brand was because they didn't reserve seats for those who could afford more expensive accommodations.  Now they do.  I can see how it would lead to problems.  I can understand passengers being upset that they can't get a seat while a bunch of "reserved" seats remain open.  I think the policy is that those that are entitled to reserved seats must be there by ten minutes before showtime, which would explain why the other guests were allowed to take those seats ten minutes before the show.  I understand Princess wanting to give their higher paying guests some special privileges, but I also understand passengers that can't afford those higher priced accommodations being upset.  I wish Princess would build the theatre larger, as most of the time the showroom is filled long before the show starts.  I never mind when higher paying guests get special privileges when it doesn't effect me, but I do mind when those privileges take something away from me, like the availability of seats.  I guess there really isn't a good solution.  For me, it's either get there very early, or skip the show.  

• Like 9

Theses seats are not for those paying for higher priced accommodations but those who paid an extra $35 (I believe that is the difference) to have  the Premier package instead of the Plus. You could be in an inside cabin and get reserved seating for production shows plus seating in specialty dining. Not saying I agree with that but that is what is offered to those paying for Premier package. I will never pay that much for a package so will never get one if those reserved seats.   No fights were on the Sky Princess last month but the number of reserved seats kept going up each cruise and mostly stayed empty until 5 minutes before showtime. We were always in our seats at 7 pm for the 8 pm show

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Theses seats are not for those paying for higher priced accommodations but those who paid an extra $35 (I believe that is the difference) to have  the Premier package instead of the Plus. You could be in an inside cabin and get reserved seating for production shows plus seating in specialty dining. Not saying I agree with that but that is what is offered to those paying for Premier package. I will never pay that much for a package so will never get one if those reserved seats.   No fights were on the Sky Princess last month but the number of reserved seats kept going up each cruise and mostly stayed empty until 5 minutes before showtime. We were always in our seats at 7 pm for the 8 pm show

The Princess cruises we have been on it has not even been an issue.  People get preferred treatment most places when they travel like airplanes, rental car, hotels, etc.  The sensitivity of some passengers is just beyond on belief.  Let it go because it is just not what this thread is accusing Princess of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

The Princess cruises we have been on it has not even been an issue.  People get preferred treatment most places when they travel like airplanes, rental car, hotels, etc.  The sensitivity of some passengers is just beyond on belief.  Let it go because it is just not what this thread is accusing Princess of.

Not sure what I am to let go. Just wanted to point out it’s not accomadations that gets someone the reserved seating. Could care less as i always am able to get my favorite seating area

• Like 4

I have no problem with the current policies, especially since those seats are released within 10 minutes of show time.  Passengers have paid for that privilege and for $80 a day, anyone is able purchase the premier package if they choose to do so.  
Would these same people be mad if they tried to get into the sanctuary because all the pool chairs were taken?  

• Like 20

44 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have no problem with the current policies, especially since those seats are released within 10 minutes of show time.  Passengers have paid for that privilege and for $80 a day, anyone is able purchase the premier package if they choose to do so.  
Would these same people be mad if they tried to get into the sanctuary because all the pool chairs were taken?  

Probably.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Think of it this way, cruise lines sell these premier packages (with benefits) in order to maintain their profit margin while keeping the base fare competitive - sound strategy for shareholders and customers.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Not sure what I am to let go. Just wanted to point out it’s not accomadations that gets someone the reserved seating. Could care less as i always am able to get my favorite seating area

Apologize.  Post was not directed at you but in reference to OP.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Yet there will always be those who offer similar complaints about "sitting in the back" on airplanes. I suppose these folks would think nothing of walking into the forward cabin of the airplane and wanting to share in the meals and included beverages - THAT THEY DID NOT PAY FOR!

This "everyone gets a trophy" stuff has gotten completely out of control. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have NO problem with some reserved seating.  As long as it is not the entirety of the front middle section, with no opportunity for others.  But, Princess needs to handle this appropriately.   Standing in the aisle, up until curtain, handling irate guests....  NOT IT.

I do think that the reserved seating should be held only until ten or even fifteen minutes before showtime.   I don't think that the opportunity for that seating should be translated as "I OWN THAT SEAT".  With the mentality that even if I show up 10 minutes late  (RUDE)  or even if I don't show up a all, then so be it (ENTITLED).

I have the same view about Back to Back cruisers and the Sanctuary. 

I think that there should be a determined number of seats available, first come first served, for those on the next sailing.  When those boarding have very little to no chance of booking the sanctuary, because others feel 'entitled' and that they OWN their spots in the sanctuary, is just fomenting bad blood.

It is when people feel totally locked-out, that becomes the big problem.

If I go to a show 40 minutes early, cram in somewhere in the back, then do I think it is a good thing that those late-comers get the better seats????   I don't know.

Maybe I would take a seat, and my husband would join those standing at the entry, hoping to get a better seat for us.

What chaos!

And the truth is that Princess has a dismal and unacceptable record of handling this kind of thing, with passengers, onboard.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

So Princess staff didn’t explain to passengers in the aisles that empty reserve seats will become available for them 10 min before showtime if they were not filled? Or was that explained and they still were not happy?

Im sure some people would still be unhappy regardless, but maybe less of them if they knew seats wouldn’t be sat empty with them still standing 🤷‍♀️

after reading all these stories of very full theatres I’ll be sure to arrive early to get a decent seat. I have the premier package (TA free upgrade from plus) but it’s the old version so seats are not included

If I was eligible for the seating I’d make sure I turned up more than 10 min before the show & if I turned up late i wouldn’t expect that seat to remain empty just in case I decided to show.

Princess should make that rule clear to Premier package holders too. 10 min before or you forfeit your seat. Sounds fair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These irate passengers are probably the same ones who didn’t want to wait for a table in the MDR and tried to argue their way into the reserve class dining room since they saw empty seats. This happened every night on the Discovery over the 2 weeks I sailed her in June. I might mention that these cruises had a huge amount of first time cruisers but some were very insistent and rude. Some actually tried to push past the hostess

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Oh boy...you've done it now!  Next thing we know the Premiere group will have reserved pool chairs! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

So Princess staff didn’t explain to passengers in the aisles that empty reserve seats will become available for them 10 min before showtime if they were not filled? Or was that explained and they still were not happy?

Im sure some people would still be unhappy regardless, but maybe less of them if they knew seats wouldn’t be sat empty with them still standing 🤷‍♀️

after reading all these stories of very full theatres I’ll be sure to arrive early to get a decent seat. I have the premier package (TA free upgrade from plus) but it’s the old version so seats are not included

If I was eligible for the seating I’d make sure I turned up more than 10 min before the show & if I turned up late i wouldn’t expect that seat to remain empty just in case I decided to show.

Princess should make that rule clear to Premier package holders too. 10 min before or you forfeit your seat. Sounds fair

I think somewhere about 15 - 20  minutes before the show,  it is announced about the seats opening up 5 - 10 minutes before the show.  All the seats are covered with a blue cover saying Reserved.  On the Sky the Reserved seats looked to be in 3 areas depending on how many were needed.  I think but not sure that the Premier Reserved seats were not in the lower level.   They are also putting a blue cover on seats designated Handicap.  So no mistaking about if a seat is reserved for handicap.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

#35: 

1. What is included in reserved theater seating?
    As part of the Premier package, you will have access to a section of reserved seating in the Princess Theater for production shows only. Seats in this section are available on a first-come, first-served basis and will be held up until 15 minutes before the performance start time and then released. All guests in your stateroom will be able to sit with you in this reserved section. Unfortunately, if you are traveling with others who are not Premier package guests, they will not be able to join you in this reserved section.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I don’t know what for profit company doesn’t utilize any opportunity they can to bring in some extra revenue.  I just see no reason anybody should get upset over this.  
You get what you pay for … it’s not a novel idea.  

• Like 9

Two weeks ago the Premier reserved seating on the Caribbean Princess was on the left side of the theater almost half way up.  Personally if I had the Premier package I still would have come earlier to get a better seat (we prefer center seats about +/-10 rows up from the stage).  There was a pre-recorded announcement being played every 5 or 10 minutes that the seats marked reserved were for Premier package holders and that they would be released 5 minutes before the show and they were.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

#35: 

1. What is included in reserved theater seating?
    As part of the Premier package, you will have access to a section of reserved seating in the Princess Theater for production shows only. Seats in this section are available on a first-come, first-served basis and will be held up until 15 minutes before the performance start time and then released. All guests in your stateroom will be able to sit with you in this reserved section. Unfortunately, if you are traveling with others who are not Premier package guests, they will not be able to join you in this reserved section.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

Thank you

I did realise this was in the t&c’s. Read them again when they changed to the latest package before deciding if to part with £ to ‘upgrade’ our package.

Seeing as many don’t read these (yes, they should but…..)I was thinking more along the lines of Princess making  these rules clear to package holders on board as well, to avoid any doubt & avoid as many arguments. Perhaps they do this already.

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

think somewhere about 15 - 20  minutes before the show,  it is announced about the seats opening up 5 - 10 minutes before the show.  All the seats are covered with a blue cover saying Reserved

thank you for the info. So it Seems Princess are doing what they can to make seat availability very clear to passengers without the package then.

If they do this on all the ships, it sounds like passengers are just being impatient or rude. frustrating but sadly not surprising. I guess there is only so much they can do. I do feel for the staff sometimes

I can understand the frustrations if announcements are not being made / communication is poor though

• Like 2

Let's see.  I didn't pay for the reserved seat.  I want the reserved seat.  Someone is responsible and needs to be blamed.  Where do I apply for compensation?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, antsp said:

Things got a little heated in the Princess Theatre last night, spotlight bar was on and 40mins before the show the theatre was full,except for 150 reserved seats for Princess Premier passengers. About 15 seats or so were taken, the rest remaining empty . The officers checking people in got a lot of arguments from passengers stood in the aisle as there was no seating left. Someone higher up came and sorted it out, and eventually about 10mis before show start and let passenger be seated. Passengers not happy and it left a nasty atmosphere in the area.

This situation could be managed so much better, by Princess asking those with Premier package do they want reserved seats for the evenings production show and only removing those seats (not 150) Princess need to sort it..... 

We agree on a lot of things but not this. The primary perk between Plus & Premier is the ability to NOT preplan show attendance. If it was that heated I hope security was called and the unruly passengers were invited BY SECURITY to upgrade from Standard or Plus to Premier (jmho as a Standard fare cruiser)

2nd thought: no one has challenged / become unruly on the voyages I've been on. In that this is an issue on yours I think a security officer should be on standby like ready to get between entitled twits & staff to 'help' entertainment staff person explain if needed. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 5