Passengers argument with staff in theter

antsp

35 minutes ago, nattie said:

I much prefer new layout of Princess Live on Discovery and (hopefully) Enchanted! So much easier to find seats, BUT it does lose the "TV show audience" feel a bit. You are absolutely right, finding a seat in Princess Live on Regal is not easy!

The seating on the Enchanted is similar to the Discovery. Sometimes if you want a seat for a particular event it still requires you be there as early as possible as many people don't leave Princess Live for every show & just remain in place for the whole evening. 

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO 30 minutes is unreasonable for someone to show up with a reserved seat and then sit there twiddling thumbs (or surfing or chatting).

30 minutes doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. From observing the crowd, the majority of people get there around the 20 to 30 minute mark. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

The seating on the Enchanted is similar to the Discovery. Sometimes if you want a seat for a particular event it still requires you be there as early as possible as many people don't leave Princess Live for every show & just remain in place for the whole evening. 

30 minutes doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. From observing the crowd, the majority of people get there around the 20 to 30 minute mark. 

ATD.  😉

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And just wait until Sun comes along.  I am thinking a lot more reservation type situations for the top cabins.

Agree. Airlines used to have First and Coach, now most have many, many $ options $ on the same aircraft.  Doing the same with cruise ships, amusement parks, etc. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, a third show should be on a different night.  If PCL has a new show (always seems to be only on the newest ships), IDK why they cannot schedule in an extra show during the week (expecting the popularity) and forego some other thing that few people go to.  Why not have a third show early and then have the late slot go to one of the comedians who are often popular for a second show (presuming they have new material).

I don't think 6:30 / 8:30 / 10:30 is a good setup.

I also agree with the earlier post that early show should be ~7:30pm and not 8pm and then 9:15 or 9:30pm.  IDK why the production show team cannot be ready to go on again within a half-hour or so.  We periodically go to live theater in Toronto and when a musical, those shows are running over two hours.   But 2hrs apart on the ship like 7:30 and 9:30 should suit the DR times.

I'm usually on the sky during the winter and spring season and the shows are always 7:30 and 9:30. However while the ship is sailing at a Southampton/ Europe they moved the showtimes to the later slots of 8:00 and 10:00. I think that's just typical of the European culture where they tend to do things later in the evening.

Edited by Jeter02

7 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm usually on the sky during the winter and spring season and the shows are always 7:30 and 9:15. However while the ship is sailing at a Southampton/ Europe they moved the showtimes to the later slots of 7:30 and 9:30. I think that's just typical of the European culture where they tend to do things later in the evening.

LOL - that's not much of a move!!

23 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Sky suites have reserved seats in the Princess Theater.

That is a very small amount of people and only on a few ships. Your post seemed to look like it wa a perk for all suites

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Oops. I meant they moved it to 8:00 - 10:00. Just fixed it above. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

LOL - that's not much of a mov

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is a very small amount of people and only on a few ships. Your post seemed to look like it wa a perk for all suites

But a Sky suite is a suite. Is it not?  Your post stated "Reserved seats in the theatre is not a suite perk"

Edited by startedwithamouse

55 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Agree. Airlines used to have First and Coach, now most have many, many $ options $ on the same aircraft.  Doing the same with cruise ships, amusement parks, etc. 

There is a fundamental difference between airlines seat categories and on cruiseships. On an airline you get the seat you book. What you get is not impacted by the other class seats sold. A person in an economy seats experience is not changed by the presence of business or first or premium economy.

On cruiseships what is being impacted is shared public space. If the number of reserved seats are increased, the number available to others is reduced.

An airline equivalent would be if only those flying business class could have a seat at the gate. With those flying coach having to stand. A shared space being turned into a private one.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

But a Sky suite is a suite. Is it not?  Your post stated "Reserved seats in the theatre is not a suite perk"

They had reserved seating for suite guests when I was on the Discovery in April.  I know because we accidentally sat in those seats and we asked if we were in a full suite.  We did have the premier package so we moved to the proper seating area after apologizing for my mistake.  
No need to get all upset … we just moved.  
anyway, it may have been a trial period but there were a whole section of seats saved, making me believe it was for the premier package guests.  

15 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This. And with each new class of ship the issue gets worse. At one point, Princess actually had a second, different guest entertainer (not karaoke) show running more or less concurrently in another venue, such as The Explorers Lounge, so if you couldn’t get a seat for the Princess Theater show, there was another good option. I haven’t seen that for years. 

I wish they would bring that back.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Why don't they just add a feature to the ap that people with those packages can reserve a seat up to 30 mins prior to show starting and then once that mark passed any unreserved can be released.

I think the perk is to avoid having to show up 30 minutes before start time.   

Oops - just saw the previous exchange.  Anyway, I can show up and get a seat 30 minutes early.  Showing up 15 minutes early and having a seat available is a meaningful perk.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 4

On 7/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, memoak said:

These irate passengers are probably the same ones who didn’t want to wait for a table in the MDR and tried to argue their way into the reserve class dining room since they saw empty seats. This happened every night on the Discovery over the 2 weeks I sailed her in June. I might mention that these cruises had a huge amount of first time cruisers but some were very insistent and rude. Some actually tried to push past the hostess

Yikes!! You mean non Reserve Class just thought that they’d seat themselves in your section, OR they pushed past hostess to seat themselves in regular section? At any rate, wow, just wow!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:
7 hours ago, nattie said:

I much prefer new layout of Princess Live on Discovery and (hopefully) Enchanted! So much easier to find seats, BUT it does lose the "TV show audience" feel a bit. You are absolutely right, finding a seat in Princess Live on Regal is not easy!

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO 30 minutes is unreasonable for someone to show up with a reserved seat and then sit there twiddling thumbs (or surfing or chatting).

The reason it's unreasonable is that a major selling point of the Premier Pkg (JMHO) is to be able to arrive up to 10 minutes before a show and get a seat (says this standard fare cruiser). Certainly it cannot be 2 cardiac ice creams a day & 2 fitness apps a day to tell you to not eat those 2 cardiac ice creams. 

Bottom line: book Premier or suck it up and get there 45 minutes early. I do and then I watch the "jump the line / seat" show while chatting it up with others that sit in my favorite row also watching ... 💢🍿💢

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Yikes!! You mean non Reserve Class just thought that they’d seat themselves in your section, OR they pushed past hostess to seat themselves in regular section? At any rate, wow, just wow!

Saw it every night. The hostess reslly had her hands full. Our table had a view of the entrance and saw first hand the arguments that ensued 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think the perk is to avoid having to show up 30 minutes before start time.   

Oops - just saw the previous exchange.  Anyway, I can show up and get a seat 30 minutes early.  Showing up 15 minutes early and having a seat available is a meaningful perk.   

Not to turn up in person 30 mins prior. But to have made the booking via the app 30 mins before the show. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Not to turn up in person 30 mins prior. But to have made the booking via the app 30 mins before the show. 

There are no bookings on any app to reserve a theater seat

• Like 2

All Princess is doing is making official what some passengers always do; trying to pre-serving seats in the theatre.  Have seen on several occasons, individual sitting in one of the best seats in the theatre and then trying to hold several other seats for their spouse and of course friends. 

15 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

All Princess is doing is making official what some passengers always do; trying to pre-serving seats in the theatre.  Have seen on several occasons, individual sitting in one of the best seats in the theatre and then trying to hold several other seats for their spouse and of course friends. 

It doesn't even have to be the "best seat" in the theater.  People reserve however many seats they want  even as the announcement is being made not to reserve seats.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

here is a picture of the 40 seats reserved for Princess Premier on Majestic.

Not to be confused with the 14 other blue backed seats that are clearly identified as being handicapped.

20230720_175557.jpg

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, memoak said:

There are no bookings on any app to reserve a theater seat

I never said there was. I was making the suggestion is that is something Princess could potentially consider doing. 

Was just talking with the fellow checking people into the seats. He says that the number of seats reserved are 20% of the number of Premier packages on board.